✭✭✭
This is on now!

Anyone watching?

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come these medical details are made public - what happened to patient confidentiality?
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is on now!

Anyone watching?

Yes, I am but having been a fan of hers, it is difficult viewing and will have to switch off soon. But ..... we'll see.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else surprised to hear Iain Glenn as narrator?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its sad to watch :( I'm surprised they didn't find her organs had been damaged, they seem to say there was little evidence of anorexia according to the reports and she wasn't especially thin when she died, yet she clearly was over dieting and purging etc.? that confuses me. Or were those reports before she died, before it got bad?.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Yes, I am but having been a fan of hers, it is difficult viewing and will have to switch off soon. But ..... we'll see.

I know what you mean totally and it is a difficult watch.

I hadn't really realised that Karen had been prescribed tablets for depression in that she'd actually had a diagnosis that she was depressed.

I'd always thought that her mental health issues had always been skirted around by both family and doctors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I skirted over previous reports about how Karen died, especially the eating disorder. I knew she had a difficult relationship with her parents and her brother always seemed to be a bit over-powering and perhaps jealous of her talent (singing). She had a tough time with her love-life too. Such a sad loss but let's see how this programme sums it all up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I think I skirted over previous reports about how Karen died, especially the eating disorder. I knew she had a difficult relationship with her parents and her brother always seemed to be a bit over-powering and perhaps jealous of her talent (singing). She had a tough time with her love-life too. Such a sad loss but let's see how this programme sums it all up!

I've watched them all and in every single case the person has been on a cocktail of drugs before they died. So sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I've watched them all and in every single case the person has been on a cocktail of drugs before they died. So sad.

And so it seems with Karen Carpenter. Such a waste of young lives and talent.

Nothing new though if we think about Brian Jones, Elvis, plus the rest. It's getting late and can't think of all the names.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »

At least in Karen's case she wasn't taking the drugs to reach a high. She was taking them because of a horrific illness (which I know all too well myself after beating bulimia just five years ago) which made her truly believe that they would help her. Such a truly tragic end. :(
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Karen Carpenter was taking such massive doses of synthoid (a prescription drug which apparently contibuted to her weight loss and death), it makes you wonder who was prescribing it for her!
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a tough watch and probably the first documentary I've seen that showed Karen in a very dark place and to be in the grip of something no one understood - not even her!

I've not seen a documentary before that said she was officially suffering from depression.

Karen had no idea or any comprehension of the damage she was doing with the stuff she was taking. I guess she thought that as the drugs themselves (emetine and synthroid) weren't illegal then taking a few more wouldn't do any damage.

It may have been over thirty years ago since Karen died, but this programme highlights what a massive loss it was. I think she had some very dark moments.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    If Karen Carpenter was taking such massive doses of synthoid (a prescription drug which apparently contibuted to her weight loss and death), it makes you wonder who was prescribing it for her!

Indeed, if it was a doctor then they would have to be dodgy, & it's a wonder they didn't end up like Michael Jackson's doctor.... Or maybe she got them on the black market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think that 7 & a half stone is a healthy weight for someone of 5 foot 4 - surely it's under-weight, just because it's a big improvement on the 5 & a half stone she'd weighed not long before - it's still not good.

Did anyone notice that in the reconstruction the name on the pill container was Karen Burrows - was that her ex-husband's name?:confused:
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

I think that in the States it is easy for people to just buy any tablets that they want that are not listed as dangerous like herion and so on. Also with the Carpenter's money and the people they would have mixed with in entertainment, it would have probably been easy for them to obtain any drugs they wanted. They also said that Richard Carpenter was taking a large amount of drugs too.

I thought the remark that someone made that Karen had the best voice ever heard and the best voice that will ever be heard was stupid. How could anyone possibly know that someone with a better voice will not come along in the future. Although she had a very strong and somewhat unusual voice, I don't personally like it too much as I felt that she always sounded miserable on most of her songs, but then, that is perhaps because she was.
  • Options
    davidjohn1985davidjohn1985 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Is there another one next week?
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that in the States it is easy for people to just buy any tablets that they want that are not listed as dangerous like herion and so on. Also with the Carpenter's money and the people they would have mixed with in entertainment, it would have probably been easy for them to obtain any drugs they wanted. They also said that Richard Carpenter was taking a large amount of drugs too.

I thought the remark that someone made that Karen had the best voice ever heard and the best voice that will ever be heard was stupid. How could anyone possibly know that someone with a better voice will not come along in the future. Although she had a very strong and somewhat unusual voice, I don't personally like it too much as I felt that she always sounded miserable on most of her songs, but then, that is perhaps because she was.

I think it will be a long time before anyone comes along to equal or better her voice. It was so pure, so emotive and spine tingling.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there another one next week?
    Yes - it's Brittany Murphy next week.
  • Options
    JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an interesting documentary, even though we knew it was the anorexia that led to Karen's death, it was heartbreaking to hear what she could have been doing to herself the months and days before she died.
    I got the impression from the documentary that the Carpenter family were trying to hide, or were somewhat ignoring the signs of Karen's anorexia and depression. I saw another documentary on the Carpenters where they said that Karen & Richard's parents and grandparents had a very strong work ethic and were in many ways perfectionists in what they did. It made me think whether this led to Karen having low self esteem, especially with Richard being held up as a musical genius and future star from a young age.
    It's just such a shame that Karen (and Richard with his addiction) couldn't have got help earlier. It doesn't seem to have changed much in the celebrity world eaither as there are still a lot of skinny celebrities who could probably be classed as anorexic :(
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    This was an interesting documentary, even though we knew it was the anorexia that led to Karen's death, it was heartbreaking to hear what she could have been doing to herself the months and days before she died.
    I got the impression from the documentary that the Carpenter family were trying to hide, or were somewhat ignoring the signs of Karen's anorexia and depression. I saw another documentary on the Carpenters where they said that Karen & Richard's parents and grandparents had a very strong work ethic and were in many ways perfectionists in what they did. It made me think whether this led to Karen having low self esteem, especially with Richard being held up as a musical genius and future star from a young age.
    It's just such a shame that Karen (and Richard with his addiction) couldn't have got help earlier. It doesn't seem to have changed much in the celebrity world eaither as there are still a lot of skinny celebrities who could probably be classed as anorexic :(

In their defence (somewhat), I don't think there was half as much knowledge or awareness of eating disorders back then, as there is now and also I thought some relatives/friends said they were concerned but she'd hid it well and when people had asked her about eating, she batted off the subject and would do a lot to avoid talking about it. I suppose its a little like people with drug addictions, you can't force them in to rehab (well you kind of can but it won't really work) - they have to decide that they have the motivation to want to change.

It is very sad though. She died only a few days before I was born :(:o RIP Karen Carpenter.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think that 7 & a half stone is a healthy weight for someone of 5 foot 4 - surely it's under-weight, just because it's a big improvement on the 5 & a half stone she'd weighed not long before - it's still not good.

Did anyone notice that in the reconstruction the name on the pill container was Karen Burrows - was that her ex-husband's name?:confused:

Ideal weight would be 8.5-11.5 stone depending on body frame, some people look better fuller figured, others feel the look better slim. 7.5 stone would be a step in right direction. Cheryl (Cole) is 5 foot 3 and around 8 stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is well documented that Karen, even from being very young, had no self confidence and fought tooth and nail not to be brought out from behind her drum kit. Perhaps nowadays she would be allowed to drum and sing at the same time and stay in her comfort zone.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,034
    Forum Member
    Tried to find this on catch up this morning but it isn't there because it's going to be repeated. I hate it when something isn't put on catch up.

Looking forward to seeing this one.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I tend to agree with the idea expressed at the end that nowadays - when eating disorders are much better understood - she would probably have survived the illness.

There was some interesting content but it was another one of those sciencey documentaries that could easily have been packaged into about half the time...and probably would have been all the better for it.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    How come these medical details are made public - what happened to patient confidentiality?

Agree.

What did this documentary tell us that was really significant over and above what we already know?

How would any of us feel if a family member's autopsy was revealed in a TV programme to the world, even after 30 years?

I think the angle of this programme is a rather tacky one.

The Carpenters were brilliant but seriously screwed up / troubled characters.

Another of the biopic films of them showed an argument where Karen was pointing out to Richard his own issues with the pain killers while he was trying to advise her what to do.

I agree about the issue of her being almost forced out from behind her comfort zone behind the drums.

Seems such an obvious no no now.

Then again, hindsight makes us all wise after the event.

PS Still love to listen to their music but their story is always there as I listen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Ideal weight would be 8.5-11.5 stone depending on body frame, some people look better fuller figured, others feel the look better slim. 7.5 stone would be a step in right direction. Cheryl (Cole) is 5 foot 3 and around 8 stone.

I'm 5 foot 4 & 12 stone. :blush: I know I'm over-weight but I think I should be about 9 stone.