Late Show with David Letterman (Part 2)

Comments

• NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, congratulations, that must have been a great experience. I'm glad you thought Conan seems like a nice guy, he always appears to be one of the most friendliest and approachable of the late night hosts, at least that was my view after watching the documentry film Conan O'Brien Can't Stop.

I'm looking forward to Conan starting in the UK this week.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won TruTV's Twitter competition to the launch party tonight and met Conan O'Brien! Super-nice guy:

https://twitter.com/lateshowuk/status/494938982363697154

I asked him if he would do a week of London shows and he said he'd love to. :D

That must've been like meeting God!

In honour of this moment I have constructed this image:

http://i.imgur.com/I26X0hY.jpg
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    That must've been like meeting God!

In honour of this moment I have constructed this image:

http://i.imgur.com/I26X0hY.jpg

Haha, thanks for the picture - I guess? :)
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that we can officially see Conan over here on truTV without the need to jump through hoops to see
    the show via unofficial/unauthorised sources like torrents, the full episodes on TeamCoco.com ought to
    be available to stream here in the UK, rather than geo-restricted to the US. Does anyone agree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think TruTV is live streaming their channel at some point soon on their website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's one thing I don't get ... if Conan is meant to be back behind his desk in LA tonight, with the cast
    of the Netflix prison drama "Orange Is The New Black", how's he still in London today? He was being
    interviewed on Steve Wright's program on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon after 3:30pm.

If Conan's on his way back to LA now, he's cutting it fine to get back to his studio in time for the show!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe conan's interview won steve wright was recorded
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual, virgin media are late sorting this out.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe conan's interview won steve wright was recorded

Interviews are often recorded on Steve Wright.

There was quite a funny (and long) interview with Absolute Radio's Geoff Lloyd. Listen here: http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/podcasts/Geoff-Lloyd-s-Hometime-Show/2014-08-03/20140801161353/
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interviews are often recorded on Steve Wright.

There was quite a funny (and long) interview with Absolute Radio's Geoff Lloyd. Listen here: http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/podcasts/Geoff-Lloyd-s-Hometime-Show/2014-08-03/20140801161353/

i know
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Here's one thing I don't get ... if Conan is meant to be back behind his desk in LA tonight, with the cast
    of the Netflix prison drama "Orange Is The New Black", how's he still in London today? He was being
    interviewed on Steve Wright's program on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon after 3:30pm.

If Conan's on his way back to LA now, he's cutting it fine to get back to his studio in time for the show!
    At the event on Thursday I heard Conan saying he was getting a flight back on the Friday morning, so this Radio 2 interview was definitely pre-recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that we can officially see Conan over here on truTV without the need to jump through hoops to see
    the show via unofficial/unauthorised sources like torrents, the full episodes on TeamCoco.com ought to
    be available to stream here in the UK, rather than geo-restricted to the US. Does anyone agree?

I see your logic, but I don’t think it works like that.
    The full episodes on teamcoco.com are essentially a catch up service for US viewers. It would do truTV no favours having the shows available to UK viewers as it would only decrease their viewership in this country. To put it another way, Top Gear can be watched on BBC America, but US viewers can’t watch it on our BBC iPlayer catch up service.

As has been said you can watch truTV via a live stream on their website (which I’m guessing is geo-blocked to the UK), and they have said they have plans to have some sort of catch up service in the future. Whether Conan would be included in this depends on the exact rights deal they have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I see your logic, but I don’t think it works like that.
    The full episodes on teamcoco.com are essentially a catch up service for US viewers. It would do truTV no favours having the shows available to UK viewers as it would only decrease their viewership in this country. To put it another way, Top Gear can be watched on BBC America, but US viewers can’t watch it on our BBC iPlayer catch up service.

As has been said you can watch truTV via a live stream on their website (which I’m guessing is geo-blocked to the UK), and they have said they have plans to have some sort of catch up service in the future. Whether Conan would be included in this depends on the exact rights deal they have.

It's known that Conan intentionally negotiated in the US to keep web streaming rights to the show, because he thought a strong internet presence would help the show, and he knew if TBS kept the rights the show would be locked up and only available to cable subscribers. Perhaps he followed a similar strategy over here...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's known that Conan intentionally negotiated in the US to keep web streaming rights to the show, because he thought a strong internet presence would help the show, and he knew if TBS kept the rights the show would be locked up and only available to cable subscribers. Perhaps he followed a similar strategy over here...

That strategy seems to be a domestic (US) one only.
    Elsewhere in the world its sometimes been the case that as soon an international broadcaster picks up the rights to CONAN the content that used to be available on TeamCoCo.com is then geo-blocked in that country so that the only way to watch the programme in any way is on television. Hopefully truTV have insisted upon this in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what does everyone think about his:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a588654/james-corden-to-replace-craig-ferguson-as-host-of-the-late-late-show.html

Personally I think it’s either genius or a disaster.
    I admire CBS for thinking out the box, and maybe it’ll pay off for them. They did it 10 years ago when they hired Craig Ferguson as the host of The Late Late Show and that worked out very well for them. They obviously like having someone British in their 12:30am slot as its well know they were in talks to hire John Oliver as host too before he declined and went to HBO. James Corden would also be the youngest off all the late night hosts (at 35 years old) so he may help them achieve that younger demo they currently fail at too.

As for James Corden himself, it would mean he will have to quit almost all other projects and opportunities to focus on The Late Late Show, but if the result is him becoming a big star in the US its probably worth it. It’s almost certain a UK broadcaster would pick up the rights too.

All this is assuming the news is true of course, there’s been no announcement from CBS or James Corden yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    That strategy seems to be a domestic (US) one only.
    Elsewhere in the world its sometimes been the case that as soon an international broadcaster picks up the rights to CONAN the content that used to be available on TeamCoCo.com is then geo-blocked in that country so that the only way to watch the programme in any way is on television. Hopefully truTV have insisted upon this in the UK.

Why would geo-blocking help the show in the UK? I think it's more of a hindrance, especially when there's only one showing of each episode...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would geo-blocking help the show in the UK? I think it's more of a hindrance, especially when there's only one showing of each episode...

In other countries some broadcasters have requested that the TeamCoCo.com video content be geo-blocked in their country so that the only way people can watch CONAN is on their channel. Its basically protecting their purchase, making sure their channel is the only place you can watching CONAN.

For example, truTV could request the TeamCoCo.com website is geo-bloacked in the UK to help their ratings (as their channel will be the only way to watch it). Of course you could argue that online content helps promote the traditional televsion broadcast.
    But it doesn't look like truTV have requested geo-blocking anyway.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but thats what has happened in some places.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does everyone think about his:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a588654/james-corden-to-replace-craig-ferguson-as-host-of-the-late-late-show.html

Personally I think it’s either genius or a disaster.
    I admire CBS for thinking out the box, and maybe it’ll pay off for them. They did it 10 years ago when they hired Craig Ferguson as the host of The Late Late Show and that worked out very well for them. They obviously like having someone British in their 12:30am slot as its well know they were in talks to hire John Oliver as host too before he declined and went to HBO. James Corden would also be the youngest off all the late night hosts (at 35 years old) so he may help them achieve that younger demo they currently fail at too.

As for James Corden himself, it would mean he will have to quit almost all other projects and opportunities to focus on The Late Late Show, but if the result is him becoming a big star in the US its probably worth it. It’s almost certain a UK broadcaster would pick up the rights too.

All this is assuming the news is true of course, there’s been no announcement from CBS or James Corden yet.

Corden would be interesting but I'm surprised he'd even consider it considering he has a very busy career. I would think it's unlikely but we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if Letterman will announce his final show soon? I'm guessing May 2015 would be the most likely date with Colbert starting a week or two after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Corden would be interesting but I'm surprised he'd even consider it considering he has a very busy career. I would think it's unlikely but we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if Letterman will announce his final show soon? I'm guessing May 2015 would be the most likely date with Colbert starting a week or two after that.

I think it could go two ways for James Corden. If he was to be a success his worldwide fame (and bank balance) would be at an all time high, so it would have certainly been the right decision. If he was to fail he probably shouldn’t have taken the job as he could have been furthering his career elsewhere and may actually be a career set back.
    I’m more surprised that CBS would consider him rather than him considering taking the job.

I heard an insider predicting Letterman’s final show being in May 2015, with Colbert’s first show being in September 2015. They will need a substantial gap between the two as the programme will still be coming from the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York and will need to be totally redesigned and refitted for the re-launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder if Letterman will announce his final show soon? I'm guessing May 2015
    would be the most likely date with Colbert starting a week or two after that.
    Dave reportedly last signed a new contract extension with CBS in October last year, and most news sources
    if not all those that reported on it said he'd be staying "through 2015". I'd assume this meant the contract
    extension was for two years, so Dave would be stepping down by the Fall 2015 season.

I doubt that he would be leaving CBS in the spring of next year for Steven Colbert to take over soon after,
    since the Fall season is the most important season in US TV for launching new TV shows, so I'd imagine
    that CBS would want to launch The Late Show with Steven Colbert perhaps in September/October.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard an insider predicting Letterman’s final show being in May 2015, with Colbert’s first show being in September 2015. They will need a substantial gap between the two as the programme will still be coming from the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York and will need to be totally redesigned and refitted for the re-launch.

I forgot that they're going to renovate the Ed Sullivan Theatre so they will be a big gap unlike with Leno and Fallon which was only two weeks but I'm sure CBS will be heavily plugging it.

Dave reportedly last signed a new contract extension with CBS in October last year, and most news sources
    if not all those that reported on it said he'd be staying "through 2015". I'd assume this meant the contract
    extension was for two years, so Dave would be stepping down by the Fall 2015 season.

I doubt that he would be leaving CBS in the spring of next year for Steven Colbert to take over soon after,
    since the Fall season is the most important season in US TV for launching new TV shows, so I'd imagine
    that CBS would want to launch The Late Show with Steven Colbert perhaps in September/October.

I imagine they're waiting for Letterman to give them the date, but I think we'll get at least a full season before he bows out. I think CBS probably will have air a special in primetime perhaps on the night of his last show or the night before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When Letterman’s contract runs to isn’t really relevant (other than he will certainly be gone by that date). It’s quite normal for a network to bring in the new guy when its a prime time to launch them, and if that means they have the two stars under contract at the same time, so be it.

I’d stick with my original post, Letterman to leave next spring and Colbert to premier in September. That gives then a good few months in the summer to redesign the Ed Sullivan Theatre at a time when TV viewership is at its quietest (the summer).

A lot of people don’t realise that NBC are still been paying Jay Leno and his production staff, despite the fact he was replaced by Jimmy Fallon in February, because they wanted to launch Fallon during the Winter Olympics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's me in a bit of a crap predicament then, as it seems increasingly unlikely that I'll get a chance to see
    a taping of The Late Show in NYC if Dave's definitely stepping down as the host in May or thereabouts,
    unless I max out my credit card and put myself in several hundred quids worth of debt!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Letterman’s contract runs to isn’t really relevant (other than he will certainly be gone by that date). It’s quite normal for a network to bring in the new guy when its a prime time to launch them, and if that means they have the two stars under contract at the same time, so be it.

I’d stick with my original post, Letterman to leave next spring and Colbert to premier in September. That gives then a good few months in the summer to redesign the Ed Sullivan Theatre at a time when TV viewership is at its quietest (the summer).

A lot of people don’t realise that NBC are still been paying Jay Leno and his production staff, despite the fact he was replaced by Jimmy Fallon in February, because they wanted to launch Fallon during the Winter Olympics.

I think CBS has too much respect for Dave to cut him short unlike what NBC did with Leno plus they don't have any big events apart from Thursday Night Football. I imagine had they had the Superbowl in 2015, they probably would have launched Colbert around that time.

It'll be interesting how his final show rates, Leno did very well so I imagine the figures will be similar if maybe a bit lower.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the Letterman Show has had a sad rap on British TV. If Stephen Colbert takes over i hope we get to see it, Colbert is an Anglophile. He loves Tolkein ( the recent Hobbit comic-con panel was hosted by him) and Sherlock. He's beautifully silly too.