Options

Travelodge remove bibles

Comments

• Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should they? Bring your own. I'd rather the hotel focus on getting the bedding/sheets etc right

The point is that these Bibles are not aimed at people that have left theirs at home.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do all holy books make you feel that way?

I really think you missed my point.

It's the action of distribution of religious books which bugs me a bit.

I'm happy for them to exist and to be available for those who want it - but I don't like the idea of them being just given out or being pushed on to people.

I feel 'religion' should be about finding spiritual answers yourself, not buying into a preachy sales-pitch and effectively joining a club. The distribution of religious books is one part of that.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bible pages are useful when you run out of Rizlas or want to snort some Coke.

You know how these late night hotel parties get.....

Oh I missed your post earlier. Check out my cutting edge satirical wit, Ima taking drugs with da Bible, maximum euphoria.

2edgy4me RobinOfLoxley.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I missed your post earlier. Check out my cutting edge satirical wit, Ima taking drugs with da Bible, maximum euphoria.

2edgy4me RobinOfLoxley.

This is the umpteenth post of yours in this thread where you haven't actually added anything to the discussion but merely chosen to criticize a post or poster. Is that your MO, troll threads and try and wind up members? Give it a rest eh, it's getting tedious.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to think Christianity was a pretty benign religion compared to some others. But I was speaking to a doctor today who works for a reproductive health charity and has spent the last ten years working in West Africa. She's recently had to return to the UK for obvious reasons.

Her crew go over there and set up a tent in a village where they have to manage a neonatal clinic with one oxygen supply that can be cut of at any time due to the oxygen being supplied by a bunch of Russian gangsters in exchange for oil dollars, she has to pay dollars to officials at the airport so none of her equipment is stolen but the worst of it is the American and UK evangelists dripping in gold setting up a tent next door where they remove the contraceptive implants and steal the condoms and medical literature in exchange for god in hellfire shit.

So good on you Travelodge for removing the piece of literature that makes these people think that what they're doing is ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2edgy4me RobinOfLoxley.

Every student who's worth his salt has skinned up using the pages of the bible.

What of it?

And what's with the pidgin English?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I really think you missed my point.

It's the action of distribution of religious books which bugs me a bit.

I'm happy for them to exist and to be available for those who want it - but I don't like the idea of them being just given out or being pushed on to people.

I feel 'religion' should be about finding spiritual answers yourself, not buying into a preachy sales-pitch and effectively joining a club. The distribution of religious books is one part of that.

How are they meant to be available if they are not given out?

I don't see how a Bible on a bedside table is a "preachy sales-pitch".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see how a Bible on a bedside table is a "preachy sales-pitch".

Waterstones?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Although I'm a Christian, I too don't really see a demand for Bibles in Hotels, I'm sure most of us Christians would bring our own if we needed it.

GayAtheist wrote: »
    Having worked in hospitals, I have thrown them out - not only because of the infection control risk, but because of the content of such a vile book. Added to this, I have thrown religious folk off wards when they have attempted to proselytize to patients - I would do it again as well.
    BIB: So what are you trying to say? That people who read the bible have germs??
    I know it has validity. I do, indeed, throw them all away. However, as the previous poster has stated these bibles have been there longer than things brought in by patients - not that it matters, they all go into the black bag regardless.
    So if someone brought in their Bible with them and they forgot it by accident, you would throw it in the bin regardless?
    Don't you ask them first??
    There are hardly any christians left (phew!)
    Hardly any Christians left where?
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the umpteenth post of yours in this thread where you haven't actually added anything to the discussion but merely chosen to criticize a post or poster. Is that your MO, troll threads and try and wind up members? Give it a rest eh, it's getting tedious.

Looks like I've been rumbled. Sorry to derail the thread, please carry on discussing the Travel Lodge Bible removals and the wider implications for society as a whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

I think AllyourKitty was joking around with Robin or maybe I must have misread the posts.
  • Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion clearly makes you very angry and not at all tolerant of those that have any kind of faith.

I am tolerant of those with religious beliefs, just not those who choose to push it on others (whether that is because they leave their 'holy' books everywhere or by attempting to convert people at their lowest!). As for religion making me angry? Why shouldn't it? It has hardly been a force for good, despite its claims. Thankfully society knows it, hence why it is rejecting it in droves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Waterstones?

Indeed, but as I have said before I think that the point of Bibles in hotels isn't to provide a free alternative to someone that would just go to a shop and buy one.
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Although I'm a Christian, I too don't really see a demand for Bibles in Hotels, I'm sure most of us Christians would bring our own if we needed it.

Surely the point of them is to try and reach those who wouldn't normally have one with them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    BIB: So what are you trying to say? That people who read the bible have germs??
    Before getting all offended, look back at the thread. It is about bibles being left for years that pose infection risks. All people have germs by the way.
    So if someone brought in their Bible with them and they forgot it by accident, you would throw it in the bin regardless?
    Don't you ask them first??
    Yep. If it meant that much they would remember it. Hospitals aren't storage rooms for the forgetful.
    Hardly any Christians left where?
    In the UK at least. Worldwide they are dwindling too, thankfully. Great news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before getting all offended, look back at the thread. It is about bibles being left for years that pose infection risks. All people have germs by the way.

Yep. If it meant that much they would remember it. Hospitals aren't storage rooms for the forgetful.

In the UK at least. Worldwide they are dwindling too, thankfully. Great news.

You're a pretty intolerant person when it comes to religion aren't you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    And what's with the pidgin English?

It's cutting-edge satirical wit.

Allegedly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, but as I have said before I think that the point of Bibles in hotels isn't to provide a free alternative to someone that would just go to a shop and buy one.

Surely the point of them is to try and reach those who wouldn't normally have one with them?

Huh? Who goes to a hotel who doesn't normally read the bible suddenly decides that after they're read all the usual gumpf about local attractions and the nearest fire escape that the heavily edited Gideon bible underneath the headed stationary is just the thing they need to send them on the righteous path?

I mean what is the point? Apart from desperately trying to normalise a load of old weird stories in the 21st century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're a pretty intolerant person when it comes to religion aren't you.
    And rightfully so. Thankfully my intolerance isn't on the scale of religion to humanity over the millennia.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hardly any" Christians in the UK is a gross exaggeration in any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    If the bibles are going to be stored somewhere else, where Christians who want one can get one, what exactly IS the problem some people have with this change?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the bibles are going to be stored somewhere else, where Christians who want one can get one, what exactly IS the problem some people have with this change?.

Probably the same problem that some people have with halal meat not being clearly marked in supermarkets so Muslims know where to shop.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they need to be available in the first place? Rooms aren't stocked with any other publications so why the need specifically for a bible? Hotels shouldn't need to cater for patrons' reading requirements so phasing out the archaic idea of leaving bibles in rooms is a good move I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? Who goes to a hotel who doesn't normally read the bible suddenly decides that after they're read all the usual gumpf about local attractions and the nearest fire escape that the heavily edited Gideon bible underneath the headed stationary is just the thing they need to send them on the righteous path?

I mean what is the point? Apart from desperately trying to normalise a load of old weird stories in the 21st century.

Who can say?

Anyway, it's stationery rather than stationary, although I'm sure the headed paper you refer to isn't a moving object so you were correct in that sense ;)
    And rightfully so. Thankfully my intolerance isn't on the scale of religion to humanity over the millennia.

I assume that your intolerance of a person's faith is totally different to someone's intolerance of your sexuality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who can say?

Anyway, it's stationery rather than stationary, although I'm sure the headed paper you refer to isn't a moving object so you were correct in that sense ;)

Thanks for pointing that out.

Huh? Who goes to a hotel who doesn't normally read the bible suddenly decides that after they're read all the usual gumpf about local attractions and the nearest fire escape that the heavily edited Gideon bible underneath the headed stationery is just the thing they need to send them on the righteous path?

Now with the correction that obviously troubled you so much I expect you can pick up on my other points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they need to be available in the first place? Rooms aren't stocked with any other publications so why the need specifically for a bible? Hotels shouldn't need to cater for patrons' reading requirements so phasing out the archaic idea of leaving bibles in rooms is a good move I think.

For a troll hunter, your posts do seem rather troll-like at times.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Huh? Who goes to a hotel who doesn't normally read the bible suddenly decides that after they're read all the usual gumpf about local attractions and the nearest fire escape that the heavily edited Gideon bible underneath the headed stationery is just the thing they need to send them on the righteous path?

Now with the correction that obviously troubled you so much I expect you can pick up on my other points.

My basic point has been said several times. I've said all I can really say and I doubt I will convince you, not that I'm that fussed either way.