JSA Sanctions letter

karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was told that before anyone is sanctioned for JSA, they would be sent a letter informing them of this. I was wondering if it is a standard letter or does the content vary depending on the individual case and if there is a date before hand giving you enough time to appeal against the sanction before it is issued? Also if anyone has a copy of these letters, I am interested type of content they put in and the language that is used and if these letters are easy to understand.

The reason I am asking is because I received a letter from IDS saying that, quote "claimants are always made aware of their right to appeal before any sanction or disentitlement (yes I know he spelt it wrong) is imposed and again once a sanction has been imposed."

I think it is the "lucky few" who even get a letter but before I can argue it, I have to know what type of things the letter says. So if any of you could pm a copy of the the type of thing it entails, I would be really grateful. Obviously, blank out your details and all that because that is private to you. This is probably reading badly and I am possibly sounding like a nosey parker but I think the sanctions regime is cruel and disgusting and if you had seen the letter that I have received excusing them, it is very alarming but as I said earlier, I can't have a counter argument if I have no idea if or what people are being told before they are sanctioned.

Hope you can help me.

Comments

• LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sometimes issue a letter saying a sanction is being considered, but not always. Sometimes they just tell claimants verbally that they'll be sanctioned, sometimes the first they know of it is when the money isn't in the bank on the due date.

That letter should make it clear that you have 5 working days to show "good reason" for not doing whatever it is they say you should have done. The letter that tells you that you've been sanctioned will specify how long the sanction is for and when the sanction starts and finishes.

We are now asking for sight of all sanction letters, as it seems there is no set procedure and that clients are unclear as to their rights of appeal and the reason for the sanction. I'm afraid I couldn't share them, even if I was at work today, because of confidentiality.

I'd advise you to try and show "good reason" for whatever your omission is supposed to be. Such things can be illness, unforeseeable travel problems, having to attend a medical appointment, caring responsibilities (eg having to stay at home to care for a sick child),close family funeral etc. You may be asked to provide evidence.

If they're thinking of applying a sanction because you didn't do enough jobseeking, check that your jobseeker agreement/claimant commitment is absolutely clear about what is expected. They often aren't, and that is a "good reason" for not doing what they want. The claimant commitment should also take account of any health or other issues you may have, eg if you have agoraphobia or some sort of anxiety disorder, it may not be reasonable to expect you to approach businesses in person to see if they have any vacancies.

If you are sanctioned, you can get hardship payments straight away if you're in a vulnerable group, or after 2 weeks if you're not. If you're on housing benefit, you need to tell them straight away that you're on a sanction and have a nil income, or your housing benefit will be stopped too (the DWP tell councils when JSA or ESA is stopped).

It's important to carry on attending signing appointments while you're sanctioned, or they'll close your claim. The sanction is suspended when the claim is closed, and then starts again when a new claim is made, so you end up losing money twice over if you don't carry on meeting you claimant commitment,

Definitely challenge the sanction. Loads of them are being overturned.

The sanction system is simply evil.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    a lot of the time they don`t bother to tell you at all until you ring to find out where your money is.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am lucky as this isn't effecting me as I now have a job but as you said, Lackie Lady, sanctions are just plain evil and should be stopped. Before I got this job, I was on the verge of being sanctioned and had it not been for a massive cock up at the job centre I would have been. I did a bit of research into it to cover my arse for what I thought was the inevitable and while I did so, I read that they said that a sanction was a last resort. The following paragraph was full of contridictions and said a first and an intermediate sanction held the same punishment and if it was a last resort, why are people getting sanctioned on a first mistake? I thought a last resort was when all else fails. So I wrote to my mp which happens to be Margaret Hodge and he sent back a very confusing and badly written reply. Tomorrow, I am speaking to the job centre about this on my lunch break. Feel free to pm if you would like to help me :-)
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can't trust the job centre they say one thing and do the complete opposite
    they don't tell you when your money is suspended because they don't want you to appeal and get it back
    and everyone who works there is a despicable excuse for a human being
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me...

Hope you can help me.

I think the first thing to do is keep a good record of any letters from the DWP/Job Centre in chronological order and take dated notes of any phone conversations with them from now on. In the unfortunate event that you do get sanctioned, I'd suggest getting some appeal help by booking an appointment with the nearest local council benefits advice unit, community law centre or Citizens Advice Bureau (plug in your postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm) and take along your correspondence file with you.

LInks:

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/further-information

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/information__resources/benefits/working_or_looking_for_work/jobseekers_allowance/jsa_sanctions_-_turn2us.aspx

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advice-birmingham.net%2FHow-to-challenge-your-benefit-sanction.pdf&ei=9EvyU-2nKOrD7AaxtYHQAg&usg=AFQjCNH5aIRqScxoys4A0w_UCDpuQXnIMQ&bvm=bv.73231344,d.bGQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they have to write to you to inform you that your being sanction

whats the reason they want to sanction you

whatever happens please appeal and dont let them get away with this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being sanctioned, I have job but I think starving people and leaving them with no (or in the case of hardship payment not enough) money is cruel and sick. Not only that, it is the lies. This has to be illegal which is why I am looking into it and why I wondered if it was a standard letter or not and I wanted to know what the letters tell people. When I tried to google or ask for a copy of a letter for an example, I was told that there wasn't one, which is why I asked for examples on here, so I can have back up for my counter arguement. I only really came about this by accident while trying to save my own skin last month but although I am alright and can't be touched now, I think I should keep pushing this to help others. I am going to try as hard as I can to get this stopped and if it is only me trying, well I must fight even harder.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reason I am asking is because I received a letter from IDS saying that, quote "claimants are always made aware of their right to appeal before any sanction or disentitlement (yes I know he spelt it wrong) is imposed and again once a sanction has been imposed."

You can use (sic) here as shorthand to show that you're presenting the quote faithfully, complete with an original inaccuracy. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

Just thought you might find that handy in future :)
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shame they don't have class action lawsuits in this country
    one man can't make a difference but hundreds or thousands can
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well actually one man did make a difference and he needs to be told blunt. ;-) Also before I forget, Thanks DoctorFlowDemand, I wills be using that in future :-). I am going to the job centre near work later to speak to someone about this. I think it may be interesting to go to the job centre near my house to see how it varies. Does anyone want me to report back here and told them what they said? Also if anyone could do the same and find out what other job centre rules around the country are regarding sanctions and if they dish out letters if they are in the area, that would be helpful. :-)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    kcspurs wrote: »
    they have to write to you to inform you that your being sanction

whats the reason they want to sanction you

whatever happens please appeal and dont let them get away with this

a very high proportion of these letters get "lost in the post".