Surprising career re-inventions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
John Travolta went from being a song and dance guy to all action hard man via Pulp Fiction Travolta,s career had pretty much hit the skids before then if I recall rightly

Another surprising re-invention is that of Brian Cox once the keyboard player of D,Reem and now has monster success with his TV Science series and rightly so

Comments

• lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Unfunny late 80s comedians who are now actors.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Icke - from innocuous Sports Presenter to self professed 'Son of God' and conspiracy theorist.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mathew Kelly going from hosting Stars in Their Eyes to playing cold blooded serial killer, Brian Wicklow
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Crawford - from Frank Spencer to Phantom of the Opera :eek:
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Adrian Edmondson- from punk comedy icon, to Yorkshire Dale enthusiast on cosy ITV early evening travel show.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Leslie Neilson from serious character actor to Naked Gun and Airplane silliness.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first person to pop into my head was Jodie Marsh :o
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Edmondson- from punk comedy icon, to Yorkshire Dale enthusiast on cosy ITV early evening travel show.

& on a similar theme - punk spearhead, supposed anti-establishment icon Johnny Lydon now a property magnate & the face of Country Life butter!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought the fella who played Martin Platt in Corrie going into cheese making (and becoming an award winning one!) after they wrote him out of the show was a rather good career reinvention. He's even got some kind of food programme on Channel 5 now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicky Chapman, from doing PR type stuff for the Spice Girls and Billie Piper, and being a judge on PopStars, to presenting Escape to the Country

Ben Elton - from shiny lefty 'Mrs Thatch' down with the establishment stand up, to a lovely safe early evening comedy on BBC1 with Ronnie Corbett
    (I didn't explain that very well but hope you know what I mean!)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love this re-invention! So warm and natural and perfect match for the Dales' charm and quirkiness.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I've always thought the fella who played Martin Platt in Corrie going into cheese making (and becoming an award winning one!) after they wrote him out of the show was a rather good career reinvention. He's even got some kind of food programme on Channel 5 now.

Also, is it Alex James from Blur who has also moved over to cheese production. I'm guessing they had the money to follow their passion, and they've become succesful.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Tom Watt (Lofty off Eastenders) from minor soap star to ghost writer for David Beckham
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie Cassidy. From decent little actress to professional yoyo dieter and gobshite.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the more obvious ones would be The Rock. From World Heavyweight Champion with the WWE to movie star. Relatively successful too.

You can see other wrestlers try to emulate him too with a little less success i.e Kane in 'See No Evil' and John Cena in 'The Marine'.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Louise Mensch - chick-lit author to MP to whatever it is she does now

Esther McVey and Gloria De Piero - both worked for GMTV and both are now MPs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinnie Jones. From not all that good footballer to not all that good actor
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Portillo, from loathsome MP to a quite decent and personable travel presenter.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Piers Morgan - .loathsome tabloid editor to loathsome tv presenter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Michael Portillo, from loathsome MP to a quite decent and personable travel presenter.

My friend works at the House of Commons and he always said Portillo is one of those you expect to hate but he was one of the friendliest and decent of all the MPs. The ones you think will be ok are usually complete arses apparently
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    A very obvious one - Victoria Beckham. From average pop singer in a girlband to semi-credible fashion designer. On paper this should have been a disaster...
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ant & Dec, from actors in Biker Grove to presenters.

Ross Kemp - from soap actor to serious documentaries about various things
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke Goss from boyband Bros to Hollywood... erm... sequels!
    Hellboy II, Blade II, Death Race 2
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert from Only Fools & Horses)

Bank Manager to Actor
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Ben Affleck from much derided actor to highly praised film director