what's the greatest movie speech ever?

12346»

Comments

• RG101RG101 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites from Any Given Sunday :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q4oPnsJQwE

This film has loads of em to be fair :D

The doc being told to go back onto the field as yet another Quaterback gets injured within seconds of the first one:-

"Did he fall off the bench? what the hell next, stigmata?"

Montezuma Monroe:-

"I don't get strokes muthaf***er, I give em!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdB9qsN7UTI
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Brian Cox's monologue at the end of 25th Hour is pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8elKC-DLS8
    http://youtu.be/5Za2k5wA3sk
    I like this one from the same film (nsfw)
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake Tyler Brigance: [in his summation, talking about Tonya Hailey]

I want to tell you a story. I'm going to ask you all to close your eyes while I tell you the story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourselves. Go ahead. Close your eyes, please.

This is a story about a little girl walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little girl. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up and they rip her clothes from her body. Now they climb on. First one, then the other, raping her, shattering everything innocent and pure with a vicious thrust in a fog of drunken breath and sweat. And when they're done, after they've killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to have children, to have life beyond her own, they decide to use her for target practice. They start throwing full beer cans at her. They throw them so hard that it tears the flesh all the way to her bones. Then they urinate on her. Now comes the hanging. They have a rope. They tie a noose. Imagine the noose going tight around her neck and with a sudden blinding jerk she's pulled into the air and her feet and legs go kicking. They don't find the ground. The hanging branch isn't strong enough. It snaps and she falls back to the earth. So they pick her up, throw her in the back of the truck and drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge. Pitch her over the edge. And she drops some thirty feet down to the creek bottom below.

Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body soaked in their urine, soaked in their semen, soaked in her blood, left to die. Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl.

Now imagine she's white.

A Time to Kill
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »
    Jake Tyler Brigance: [in his summation, talking about Tonya Hailey]

I want to tell you a story. I'm going to ask you all to close your eyes while I tell you the story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourselves. Go ahead. Close your eyes, please.

This is a story about a little girl walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little girl. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up and they rip her clothes from her body. Now they climb on. First one, then the other, raping her, shattering everything innocent and pure with a vicious thrust in a fog of drunken breath and sweat. And when they're done, after they've killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to have children, to have life beyond her own, they decide to use her for target practice. They start throwing full beer cans at her. They throw them so hard that it tears the flesh all the way to her bones. Then they urinate on her. Now comes the hanging. They have a rope. They tie a noose. Imagine the noose going tight around her neck and with a sudden blinding jerk she's pulled into the air and her feet and legs go kicking. They don't find the ground. The hanging branch isn't strong enough. It snaps and she falls back to the earth. So they pick her up, throw her in the back of the truck and drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge. Pitch her over the edge. And she drops some thirty feet down to the creek bottom below.

Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body soaked in their urine, soaked in their semen, soaked in her blood, left to die. Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl.

Now imagine she's white.

A Time to Kill

That was the first speech I thought of when I saw the title of this thread! I don't care much for Matthew McConaughey, but that was an incredible speech. The final line broke me.

Guess I'll have to go with this one instead:

Renton: "Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats you spawned to replace yourself.

Choose your future.

Choose life."
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two for me:

The first is one that rings very poignantly today and the second should ring true all the time, but especially now. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ne13Zft9Q

Bailey: Just a minute – just a minute. Now, hold on, Mr. Potter. Just a minute. Now, you’re right when you say my father was no business man. I know that. Why he ever started this cheap, penny-ante Building and Loan, I’ll never know. But neither you nor anybody else can say anything against his character, because his whole life was — Why, in the twenty-five years since he and Uncle Billy started this thing, he never once thought of himself. Isn’t that right, Uncle Billy? He didn’t save enough money to send Harry to school, let alone me. But he did help a few people get outta your slums, Mr. Potter. And what’s wrong with that? Why — here, you’re all businessmen here. Don’t it make them better citizens? Doesn’t it make them better customers?

You, you said that they — What’d you say just a minute ago? They had to wait and save their money before they even thought of a decent home. Wait? Wait for what?! Until their children grow up and leave them? Until they’re so old and broken-down that — You know how long it takes a workin’ man to save five thousand dollars? Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you’re talking about, they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? Anyway, my father didn’t think so. People were human beings to him, but to you, a warped, frustrated old man, they’re cattle. Well, in my book he died a much richer man than you’ll ever be.

Potter: I’m not interested in your book. I’m talkin’ about the Building and Loan.

Bailey: I know very well what you’re talking about. You’re talking about something you can’t get your fingers on, and it’s galling you. That’s what you’re talking about, I know. Well…I’ve said too much. I — You’re…the Board here. You do what you want with this thing. There’s just one thing more, though. This town needs this measly one-horse institution if only to have some place where people can come without crawling to Potter. Come on, Uncle Billy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q]

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.

We know things are bad — worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot — I don't want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. [shouting] You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...You've got to say, I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE! Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be True Romance I love love that film

"Clifford Worley: You're Sicilian, ha?
    Vincenzo Coccotti: Yeah, Sicilian.
    Clifford Worley: Ya know, I read a lot. Especially about things... about history. I find that shit fascinating. Here's a fact I don't know whether you know or not. Sicilians were spawned by ****.
    Vincenzo Coccotti: Come again?
    Clifford Worley: It's a fact. See, Sicilians have black blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, you see, the Moors conquered Sicily. And the Moors are ****.
    Vincenzo Coccotti: Yes...
    Clifford Worley: So you see, way back then, Sicilians were like wops from northern Italy. They all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, they changed the whole country. They did so much ****in' with Sicilian women that they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it's absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that Sicilians still carry that ****** gene. Now this...
    Vincenzo Coccotti: [laughs]
    Clifford Worley: No, I'm quoting... history. It's written, it's a fact, it's written.
    Vincenzo Coccotti: [laughs] I love this guy.
    Clifford Worley: Your ancestors are ****. Yeah, and your great-great-great-great grandmother ****ed a ******, yeah, and she had a half ****** kid... Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? Cause you, you're part eggplant"

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPCcwChewM
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You like boats, but not the ocean. You go to a lake in the summer with your family up in the mountains. There's a long wooden dock and a boathouse with boards missing from the roof, and a place you used to crawl underneath to be alone. You're a sucker for French poetry and rhinestones. You're very generous. You're kind to strangers and children, and when you stand in the snow you look like an angel.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brando...Julius Caesar

http://youtu.be/XA0zfnEdA_g?t=1m45s
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »

William Shatner's version is quite a departure from Brando's..
    http://youtu.be/Rd5JdTpZKr4?t=50s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    William Shatner's version is quite a departure from Brando's..
    http://youtu.be/Rd5JdTpZKr4?t=50s

You know what....I've seen worse.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So have I. Hadn't seen that before. Enjoyed watching it.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite has to be Tom Hanks speech with Denzel Washington in Philaphedia with Maria Callas singing in the background.

Mostly anyway said by the great Clint Eastwood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
  • IMarriedaHorseIMarriedaHorse Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    (Haven't read the full thread so I don't know if this was posted yet)

Alec Baldwin in Malice:

"The question is, do I have a God complex? It makes me wonder if this.....lawyer (love the way he spits out the word lawyer) has any idea as to the kind of grades one has to receive to be accepted at a top medical school. If you have the vaguest clue of how talented someone has to be to lead a surgical team. I have an MD from Harvard, I am board-certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded seven different citations throughout New England and I am never, ever sick at sea. So let me ask you: when somebody goes into that chapel and falls on their knees and prays to God that their wife doesn't miscarry, or their daughter doesn't bleed to death, or their mother doesn't suffer acute trauma from post-operative shock, who do you think they're REALLY praying to? Now you go to church and read your bible, Dennis, and with a little luck you'll win the annual raffle. But if you're looking for God, he was in operating room #2 on November 17 and he DOESN'T LIKE to be second-guessed. You think I have a God complex? Let me tell you something: I AM God."
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General Zod before he, Ursa and Non are exiled to the Phantom Zone in Superman: The Movie

"The vote must be unanimous, Jor-El, you alone will condemn if you wish and you alone will be held responsible by me.....Join us, you have been known to disagree with the council before. Yours could be become a new voice in the new order second only to my own. I offer you a chance for greatness, Jor-El, take it...Join us!!!!.....You will bow down before me Jor-El, I swear it. No matter that it takes an eternity, you will bow down before me. Both you and then one day, your heirs"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Love the Independence Day speech and there have been some classics mentioned already but Jor El's sppech in Man Of Steel is pretty good "What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? You were the embodiment of that belief, Kal. Krypton's first natural birth in centuries. That's why we risked so much to save you."
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samwise Gamgee in the Two Towers already mentioned and the dialogue between Sam and Frodo on the way up Mount Doom.

I agree with Peter Jackson who thought Sean Astin should have had a supporting actor award - just brilliant, stayed in character AND correct accent all the way through the trilogy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    General Zod before he, Ursa and Non are exiled to the Phantom Zone in Superman: The Movie

"The vote must be unanimous, Jor-El, you alone will condemn if you wish and you alone will be held responsible by me.....Join us, you have been known to disagree with the council before. Yours could be become a new voice in the new order second only to my own. I offer you a chance for greatness, Jor-El, take it...Join us!!!!.....You will bow down before me Jor-El, I swear it. No matter that it takes an eternity, you will bow down before me. Both you and then one day, your heirs"

Sorry to be a pedant, ;) but wasn't it Superman II?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Bill Pullman as President Thomas J Whitmore in Independence Day

His speech was so inspiring, the whole world united and defeated an alien invasion

Nothing beats that
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Sent of a Woman

Al Pacino as Frank Slade defending Charlie infront of the school asembly
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a pedant, ;) but wasn't it Superman II?

No, this speech was definitely at the start of Superman The Movie ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIieHxfF3o