Father of the Bride 3 / Father of the Groom

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Curious rumour, I hope they can manage to capture the magic of the first two.
Steve Martin has reportedly signed up to star in Father of the Bride 3.

The Hollywood actor is said to be returning as businessman George Banks, alongside Diane Keaton as his wife Nina, according to NikkiFinke.com.

The proposed third film of the comedy series will reportedly be centred around the couple's son Matty, who was originally played by Kieran Culkin.

Matty apparently reveals that he is to marry the son of a US Navy Seal in the film, leading to Banks being "thunderstruck and speechless".

Original director and co-writer Charles Shyer has also allegedly signed up to develop the film.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a577932/father-of-the-bride-3-to-focus-on-gay-marriage-steve-martin-to-return.html

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Sorry, you lost me at the words 'Magic of the first two'. :p
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With gay marriage now legal, this film comes at a great time

But i hope Bride isn't kept in for the title. Bit offensive in thinking because two men are marrying, one is automatically assume to be the bride.

I wonder if Kieran will reprise his role or will they cast some current young actor for the role.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But i hope Bride isn't kept in for the title. Bit offensive in thinking because two men are marrying, one is automatically assume to be the bride.
    That's an issue. The sequel was called Father of the Bride II and yet it was about the pregnancies, but I'm assuming they will go with 'Father of the Groom' (hence why I put it in the thread title) - as there's no need to use 'Bride' for name recognition, people will get that its the third film in the series. They didn't need to explain that Meet the Fockers was Meet the Parents 2 - the connection is with 'Meet the', so, 'Father of' seems to do just the same.

Copywriters are just using 'Bride 3' headline as a quick way of getting the story over about them making another film.
    I wonder if Kieran will reprise his role or will they cast some current young actor for the role.
    Interesting thought. I suppose they'd ask him, but it wouldn't be difficult to recast if he's not interested.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only watch if Martin Short was in it as lets be honest his Frawnk character stole the show in both movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Definitely. And they should get BD Wong back as Howard also. They could riff on the fact that the daughter followed everything Franck said in both films, but maybe this time Matty knows better? :)

##

Here's a bit more from /film
    In the new film, little Matty is now a 29-year-old who’s preparing to wed the love of his life. Unfortunately, George is left “thunderstruck and speechless” by the fact that his son is marrying a man. He takes the news so badly, in fact, that his wife Nina kicks him out of the house until he can cool down.

It sounds like a sweet take on the Father of the Bride formula. The gay marriage angle might’ve felt more fresh five or ten years ago, but then nobody goes to these films looking for “edgy.” Besides, it’s still pretty rare to see a healthy gay relationship depicted in a mainstream family film.

As of now, Martin is the only actor confirmed to return. Kieran Culkin played Matty in the earlier films and is about the right age to play Matty now, but there’s no word on whether the character will be recast. Nor do we know whether Diane Keaton, who portrayed Nina, will reprise her role.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/father-of-the-bride-3-steve-martin-gay-marriage/#more-238640
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Happy to hear this, i loved the first two films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm shame if that's the case. I'd like to hope that it could happen, it sounds like it'd work.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Damn, I got all excited there for a minute. The Father of the Bride movies are two of my favourite films and if they could make a third one as good as the others I would be very happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cynic in me says there could still be a project in the works, just that its not that far in development, hence the denial by Steve Martin. Some of the details seem a bit too specific for a rumour - such as who was directing and writing. Perhaps it just comes from a pitch session with the Studio or something.

Then again, it probably was just some duff info given to the blogger who broke it, and a few news outlets picked up on it.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,009
    Forum Member
    Damn, I got all excited there for a minute. The Father of the Bride movies are two of my favourite films and if they could make a third one as good as the others I would be very happy.

I love them too. I shouldn't. They're schmaltzy as hell but the feel-good factor is off the chart. So, I'm hoping for a FOTB/G 3.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matty apparently reveals that he is to marry the son of a US Navy Seal in the film, leading to Banks being "thunderstruck and speechless".
    Not that it's ever stopped anyone, but it's (possibly) basically just a re-hash of the first one then? Albeit with added homophobia. ;-)
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this was made, it would be awesome as I loved the first 2 (they always remind me of when I was growing up and watching with my Mum.) But they also said they wanted to make another 3 Men and a Baby and that never got done so I am not holding out much hope lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Not that it's ever stopped anyone, but it's (possibly) basically just a re-hash of the first one then? Albeit with added homophobia. ;-)

That was one of the flaws in the potential plot. George Banks just doesn't seem the type to be against the idea.

They could take it down the route of the Marine's Dad being an old rival, but then that makes it more about them than those getting wed. Plus making about the parents skates close to the Meet the Parents territory.

I'm sure they could come up with something though.