Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Problem is if Cliff's case drags on, this could play havoc with the remaining 1979 and 1980 shows, as he was enjoying huge chart success. Also we have the nine week Musicians Union strike to mess up 1980 as well.

:(:( Massive Groan! :(:(
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is if Cliff's case drags on, this could play havoc with the remaining 1979 and 1980 shows, as he was enjoying huge chart success. Also we have the nine week Musicians Union strike to mess up 1980 as well.

Currently there is no case to answer, but the BBC forever fearful of doing the wrong thing have set a precedent with DLT. The program is becoming a minefield and I do fear for the future of the repeats.
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really hope Cliff is innocent. And that no further action is taken. But unfortunately yes this MIGHT drag on and on for some time yet, for as long as about 18 months or so like it did for Bill Tarmey. For Dave Lee Travis, it's currently dragged on for about 21 months now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I know how you are feeling. for this Cliff story to blow up right at the exact moment TOTP 1979 is sitting slap bang in the middle of his big comeback No1 is unreal in the extreme.

It's as if there is some vendetta to put a spanner in the works - whenever TOTP is getting good!

1977 - Jimmy's editions are cut! :(
    1978 - DLTs editions are cut! :(:(
    And now August 1979 - just as Cliff is reaching No1 - His house gets searched!!

You couldn't make it up!! Aaarghh!! :(
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Currently there is no case to answer, but the BBC forever fearful of doing the wrong thing have set a precedent with DLT. The program is becoming a minefield and I do fear for the future of the repeats.
    Let us not forget that Cliff has not even been arrested......yet anyway.

When I heard that it related to a 1985 Christian concert event headed by Billy Graham at Sheffield United's footy ground I was quite honestly bemused. Don't a lot of those Christian events involve a lot of laying on of hands with people among you anyway?

The police are fishing, hoping to draw others out in a cynical exercise, my view, and that of a channel 4 news reporter tonight too.

Regards the dragging on of things, and isn't it disgraceful that almost a year later Paul Gambaccini is still swinging in the wind at the police's pleasure? Yet this week in 1964 saw the last 2 men hanged for murder. The crime had only been committed in April, yet they had been caught, charged, remanded, put on trial, convicted and finally executed.....all in 4 MONTHS! :o
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I really hope Cliff is innocent. And that no further action is taken. But unfortunately yes this MIGHT drag on and on for some time yet, for as long as about 18 months or so like it did for Bill Tarmey For Dave Lee Travis, it's currently dragged on for about 21 months now.

I think you mean either Jimmy Tarbuck or Freddie Starr.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Cliff is innocent. And that no further action is taken. But unfortunately yes this MIGHT drag on and on for some time yet, for as long as about 18 months or so like it did for Bill Tarmey. For Dave Lee Travis, it's currently dragged on for about 21 months now.

It's a witch hunt, pray tell how many "politicians" have been arrested or had their homes searched.....as we know from many victims testimonies many politicians were abusers.....and no they are NOT all dead, I don't believe Cliff Richard was a sexual abuser, and what the hell did the police think they would find in his house 30 odd years later?? if he was?

Maybe the accuser mixed billy graham up with Cliff!!!!
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised I mentioned the late Bill Tarmey in my last post. Which is completely wrong, as it was Bill Roache I meant.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nest Friday night on BBC 4 we get some brand new and welcome programmes:

21.10 The Kate Bush Story - Running Up That Hill, which is a new documentary about Kate. No Kate, of course, but apparantly loads of other famous folk

22.10 Kate Bush at the BBC - the usual show of this type. I hope they've found some obscure clips, and any that were yewtreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

21.10 The Kate Bush Story - Running Up That Hill, which is a new documentary about Kate. No Kate, of course, but apparantly loads of other famous folk

22.10 Kate Bush at the BBC - the usual show of this type. I hope they've found some obscure clips, and any that were yewtreed.

!!!Yay!!! :)

This will be the first Kate documentary that I've seen since the Nationwide one back in 1979!!! :o
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    It's a witch hunt, pray tell how many "politicians" have been arrested or had their homes searched.....as we know from many victims testimonies many politicians were abusers.....and no they are NOT all dead, I don't believe Cliff Richard was a sexual abuser, and what the hell did the police think they would find in his house 30 odd years later?? if he was?

Maybe the accuser mixed billy graham up with Cliff!!!!

No it is not a witch hunt. Some people have been found guilty (eg Rolf) and justice has been done in those cases. As an aside, the BBC website sometimes blows a fuse and has links to old stories on its main pages. This happened the other day, it had a link to JS's death being announced. Incredible now, less than three years later, to read all the glowing tributes to him and what a good man he was!
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for this, fantastic, :)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching The Planets off one of the Savile Yew Tree shows.

Is that Kate Robbins as one of the backing singers?
  • Options
    Nutty Big DNutty Big D Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Just watching The Planets off one of the Savile Yew Tree shows.

Is that Kate Robbins as one of the backing singers?
    Yes, that's her
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

About time, I'll record this on my hard drive.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »

I'd totally agree that the BBC's handling of pretty much all its PR seems to be dictated by the question 'What would the Daily Mail say?' A massive flaw, as far as I'm concerned, but the enemies of the BBC want blood, and anything vaguely Saville-related is going to be considered fair game.

However, I don't think the Cliff allegations are quite the same as those made against Saville, DLT or any other Yewtree-related target. I'm not commenting on those allegations themselves - but CR was never perceived to be a BBC employee in the same way those DJs were. He also has a visible fan base and profile in the way neither Saville nor DLT did. What we've seen did not happen under the aegis of Yewtree - and there are already people questioning how the investigation even became public. So the MO of the authorities at work here doesn't look good so far ... which the BBC may not be keen to associate itself with.

As for Cliff himself, speculation has been rife for years about his personal life ... so much so that I'd really surprised if he's been careless enough to get caught like this (if, indeed, he has anything to hide - and he may not).

And as far as the TOTP repeats go, I'd say there's a question mark over anything beyond the end of 1979 anyway. The end of The Story of 1979 curiously included then future clips from 1980 and 1981 shows ... which could very easily act as a curtain coming down on future repeats. I certainly don't think they're a given - whatever happens in this case.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of replying to my own post (:blush:), it would appear the BBC has now shot itself in the foot (yet again) with its coverage of the raid on CR's house ...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/17/south-yorkshire-police-complains-bbc-cliff-richard

The Daily Mail has, of course, spun this into the BBC being the evil party in all this ... which could perhaps make banning Cliff appearances less likely? Or would that open up even more cans of worms considering they yanked DLT episodes off air the moment the finger was pointed?
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is Cliff going to be arrested? I'm hoping they find nothing to go on and drop the whole thing. I'm getting sick of all these arrests now! Tarnishing the memory of pretty much everyone from my childhood. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bill Roach's case was over in about 9 months.

I wish they could show the next episode of TOTP now, before the mud hits the fan and it all blows up with an arrest and a courtcase. Then we may never get to see the next episode with Cliff at number one :(
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone see The Last Leg on Friday? One of their "is it ok to ask?" questions was "will I ever see a TOTP episode again on BBC4?" which caused a lot of laughs. I was surprised so many or that audience got it.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another problem is if the BBC keep this show going into the mid eighties is what to do with the Gary Glitter comeback in 1983-84 as he did have a couple of hits after a long absence. Also Jonathan King's American features will need to be edited out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 1979 Big Hits show gets a repeat in the early hours on Saturday which features the Xmas Day performance of Cliff Richard's We Don't Talk Anymore, Radio 2 saw fit yesterday to play him on POTP so depending what happens during the week hopefully it will mean the same for his first BBC TV test since it all blew up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another problem is if the BBC keep this show going into the mid eighties is what to do with the Gary Glitter comeback in 1983-84 as he did have a couple of hits after a long absence. Also Jonathan King's American features will need to be edited out.

Glitter didn't have any number ones after the 70s so he can simply be edited out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jonathan King was not edited out last year when he was TOTP, so hopefully the Jonathan King ban has been lifted permanently.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan King was not edited out last year when he was TOTP, so hopefully the Jonathan King ban has been lifted permanently.

Are those American bits vital?

It was only talk & clips from what I remember?

If the shows were still over 30 minutes at this point, surely they'd be the first to go?

I suppose, as he appears to have been a good boy over the last few year's, I suppose they'll stay in the late night repeats!

(Still think we might end up with a Totp 2 / At the Bbc format eventually! )