Options

Bird lover threatens drastic action over cats in his garden

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dr Clive Moworth, educated at Oxford and a research scientist has written a "cat menace" leaflet and distributed it to about 100 homes local to his, detailing cat descriptions, dates and the birds they allegedly killed. He warns his neighbours that he will take "drastic action" if they continue to allow their cats to kill birds in his garden.

Dr Moworth is a bird enthusiast and claims he is plagued by cats.

This is what he said:-
Cat Menace

The enjoyment of our wildlife and flower garden is being ruined by cats. They come to dig holes, leave their excrement and murder the wildlife. In the last week alone, at least three birds have been killed:

31/07/2014 Jackdaw
04/08/2014 Blackbird
04/08/2014 House sparrow

This comes on top of numerous killings of blackbirds and woodpigeons this summer.

Direct observation and video surveillance have identified about ten different cats. The two leading killers are a black one and a black-and-white one.

The black-and-white one can leap right onto our shoulder-height bird table.

I do not see why we should have to put up with this menace.

If you have a cat, can you please keep it under control. If we continue to be plagued by cats, drastic action will be taken.

Clive Mowforth

Oxford University

He alleges that his enjoyment of wildlife and flower garden is being ruined by cats. Apparently he has spent more than 10 years converting his garden near Dursley in Gloucestershire into a "paradise for birds". He has also alerted the police and RSPCA.

One resident likened the situation to being a bit like Crimewatch for cats and thought it was very petty.

I think the resident is correct. You can't stop cats being cats, and in law they have freedom to roam. He doesn't detail what the drastic action might be, but I would hope it doesn't involve any threat of violence or killing of the cats, which are doubtless much loved pets.

We don't get to see any of his video surveillance, nor does he mention the far greater number of birds killed by bird on bird predation.

There are plenty of birds to take the place of those that die through predation. I think he needs to grow up and accept life as it is.

report here

Comments

• Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nob.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that were near me and he ended up harming one of my cats I'd have his eyes!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he could do more to make his garden and bird table cat proof. I can appreciate his frustration, but as blueblade points out there are many birds that eat birds too.

Of course there maywell be a neighbour who is sick and tired of birdcrap on their washing, losing their flowers whist still in bud and having their soft fruit nicked - all becouse some selfish bird-fancier keeps attracting birds to the area!:D
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    He should buy a water blaster and take pot shots at the cats. Far more fun than composing daft threatening letters.

There are things he can do but he'll never stop the cats doing what comes naturally to them.

I think I have more birds flying into my back windows than caught by the cats. One dopey wood pigeon did come a cropper a few moths back, but there are millions of them and they're the thickest bird going.
  • Options
    ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a nob.

He probably is quite wealthy.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    He must have very active cats around his garden. I've got four cats, and none of them can be a*sed to catch birds (or anything else!)

They did play with a pigeon a few weeks ago, but he was already injured and couldn't take off, so I think they thought he was fair game. They weren't that bothered when I took it off them and took it to the local wildlife hospital.

Luckily, mine also don't go out of our garden to poo - they have their own spots in ours that they use (or they come in and use the litter tray!)

I can see that for non-cat lovers, the pooing and hunting behaviours could be annoying. However, threats to take drastic action is not going to make him very popular with cat owners and could get him into trouble. He needs to move to the middle of nowhere where he can watch his birdies in peace. :D
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to get over it. Cats kill birds because we bred them that way. If you encourage birds into your garden in a cat populated area then you are an idiot. I don't like cats killing wildlife any more than anyone else but instead of moaning and threatening people, cat proof your bloody garden or get a dog. Ask owners to put bells on their cats collars too. He'd better not harm anyone's cat now that he's sent out letters to his neighbours, they will know it was him.
  • Options
    vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nob.

Yep! :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Blimey? Is he obsessed or what? :o

"This could now push me out of my house."

Oh well ... best p*ss off somewhere else then! :D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    He must have very active cats around his garden. I've got four cats, and none of them can be a*sed to catch birds (or anything else!)

They did play with a pigeon a few weeks ago, but he was already injured and couldn't take off, so I think they thought he was fair game. They weren't that bothered when I took it off them and took it to the local wildlife hospital.

Luckily, mine also don't go out of our garden to poo - they have their own spots in ours that they use (or they come in and use the litter tray!)

I can see that for non-cat lovers, the pooing and hunting behaviours could be annoying. However, threats to take drastic action is not going to make him very popular with cat owners and could get him into trouble. He needs to move to the middle of nowhere where he can watch his birdies in peace. :D

I'm sure I read somewhere that most cats that catch birds, are under the age of three. I have a five year old cat & the only bird death in my garden that I'm aware of this year, was caused by a Sparrow Hawk.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that most cats that catch birds, are under the age of three. I have a five year old cat & the only bird death in my garden that I'm aware of this year, was caused by a Sparrow Hawk.

A Sparrowhawk flew into a tree near my garden and got a small bird and then proceed to eat it alive sat on my roof top.
    I had to go inside so not to hear the small birds noise.
    I know it is just nature, but I still not want to see or hear it.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand it upsetting him but as has been said above, cats will be cats. All owners can really do for non-housecats, is put a warning bell on their collars. If he wants to create a little bird sanctuary then perhaps he does need to consider relocating to a less urban area where there are fewer moggies. Still, being a supposedly educated man he should know that wherever there is wildlife, there will always be predators. Also, if he wants the support of the RSPCA and such-like, he really shouldn't be making veiled threats against any animal.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a nob.
    He probably is quite wealthy.

A rich nob then.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Buy a big dog to chase them off, that should be drastic enough.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been commenting in this on Facebook. Way to go threatening "drastic action" in a newspaper! I sure hope he doesn't mean he'll harm them...
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Dr Clive Moworth, educated at Oxford and a research scientist has written a "cat menace" leaflet and distributed it to about 100 homes local to his, detailing cat descriptions, dates and the birds they allegedly killed. He warns his neighbours that he will take "drastic action" if they continue to allow their cats to kill birds in his garden.

Dr Moworth is a bird enthusiast and claims he is plagued by cats.

This is what he said:-

He alleges that his enjoyment of wildlife and flower garden is being ruined by cats. Apparently he has spent more than 10 years converting his garden near Dursley in Gloucestershire into a "paradise for birds". He has also alerted the police and RSPCA.

One resident likened the situation to being a bit like Crimewatch for cats and thought it was very petty.

I think the resident is correct. You can't stop cats being cats, and in law they have freedom to roam. He doesn't detail what the drastic action might be, but I would hope it doesn't involve any threat of violence or killing of the cats, which are doubtless much loved pets.

We don't get to see any of his video surveillance, nor does he mention the far greater number of birds killed by bird on bird predation.

There are plenty of birds to take the place of those that die through predation. I think he needs to grow up and accept life as it is.

report here

This is a sad obsessive and he needs help before any cats are harmed and he gets himself into trouble. I can't think what else "action" could mean.. What the hell does he do about birds of prey, shoot them? I also hope he's at least a vegetarian. If not he's a whinging hypocrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Mine are 7, 12, 14 and 17, which probably explains at least part of their laziness! The 14 year old did catch a few birds when she was young, but none of the others have. The most my 7 year old has ever caught is a whole sausage from next door's garden, but she is 'special' so it's not really a surprise! :o
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    You didn't just start a 'cats roaming' thread did you?:o

Batten down the hatches!
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the man has done himself any favours with his silly leaflet.

Anyway, Cats > Silly Dr Bird Lover.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Just been commenting in this on Facebook. Way to go threatening "drastic action" in a newspaper! I sure hope he doesn't mean he'll harm them...

No something creative, like anti-vandalism paint on the top of fences so the moggies can take it come on their paws and tread it into the owners shag pile:D
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't he just turn the hose on the cats?
    And as for having such a low bird table, asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    You didn't just start a 'cats roaming' thread did you?:o

Batten down the hatches!

*hands round tin helmets in case of incoming...*
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh a cat debate! I'm in!

I agree, bottom line for me is that nobodies pet, whatever species, should negatively impact the lives of others in any way.

Cats can be a real nuisance and it's about time owners took a bit more responsibility, else this is what people are driven to.

Ever wonder what happens to all though 'missing' cats? ;-)
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Cats can be a real nuisance and it's about time owners took a bit more responsibility, else this is what people are driven to.

Ever wonder what happens to all though 'missing' cats? ;-)

Imagine what I might be driven to if someone did something to any of my cats ;-)
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I would rather have swallows and tits in my yard too.