Options

Is this a bit intrusive policing?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
A few nights ago me and my wife came back from a night out. My son was up my dad's house as they'd been babysitting.

We got off the bus near home and I saw my wife home safely, went in and had a bit of super and then I walked back by myself to my mum and dads which is on the other end of town.

On my way back a police car turned out of a side street and did a U turn and pulled on the opposite side of the road facing the wrong way and proceeded to curb crawl behind me for a while until I turned around and he stopped. I was on my mobile to my wife as I was walking back talking about our night out. I put my phone to my side but didn't hang up. The conversation went as follows...

-Alright? What's your name?
Told him my first name
-No what's your full name?
Told him my full name
-Where do you live?
Told him
-We don't see many people about at that time of night.

(Really? It's only 1am it's hardly really late. I thought) What I actually felt like saying was, we don't see many coopers about here either but what's with the reason for stopping me? But I didn't.

Next he said...

-Where are you going?
Told him I was heading back to my parent's house on the other side of town.
-Wheres that?
Told him. Then he said, "Who are you on the phone to?"

Seriously what the ***k has it got to do with them?

All I was.doing was walking back to my mum and dad's after a night out yet I was made to feel like I was on trial here. It all felt very intrusive.

He said OK and went on his way. A minute later he turned around and came back past me looking at me like I was up to no good.

Comments

• Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe they had read this thread of yours http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1991727&highlight= and wanted to prove they were working
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see many coopers up here that late either!

Why were you picking up your child that late at night? Or do you sleep there after a night out with your wife? I am very confused.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    maybe they had read this thread of yours http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1991727&highlight= and wanted to prove they were working

Damned if they do and damned if they don't it seems.:D
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you felt he was being intrusive, you didn't have to give your details unless he had grounds to demand them (request != demand).

But chances are someone had reported something nearby (or high burglary area. Or he was bored :p ), and the interaction was swift and uneventful.

A bit off, but not really problematic.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    par for the course, they're car drivers and such incapable of grasping that some people walk around for no other reason than they can.

I get it now and then when I'm out for a walk

conversation/interrogation usually proceeds on similar lines

what you doing, walking.
    where you going, home. where you been, home.

that's right, incredible as it may seem, a 60 plus year old man is out for a breath of fresh air after midnight cause it's nice to take a break from my computer.

they're bored so others have to suffer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's right, incredible as it may seem, a 60 plus year old man is out for a breath of fresh air after midnight cause it's nice to take a break from my computer.
    When I was 16, a bunch of mates & I took a moonlit walk down a sea wall. When we got to the end, a van & two cars came screeching up, and we were lined up on the curb & quizzed each of us for ages. They seemed really frustrated that we hadn't done anything wrong, had nothing on us and had no parents to call (they wanted to, but I lived alone).

Ever the same, even the police get bored sometimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I was stopped a few months ago when I was taking the dog I had at the time for a walk around midnight. I had been out at a friends that evening and took her out before planning to go to bed. It was much the same:

"What are you doing?", obviously not the brightest on the force considering the dog was with me on a lead.
    "Where are you going?"
    "Nowhere really, just round the streets with the dog"
    "Is it your dog?"
    "Err, yes".
    "Where have you come from?"
    "My house, just round the corner"
    "Why are you taking the dog for a walk this late?"
    "Because I've been out all evening and she's been stuck inside"
    "OK, it just seems a bit suspicious that's all"

If I was really going to commit a burglary or something like that, why on Earth would I have a dog with me?.

A previous time was when I was working and walking part way home from work from a late shift. It was 3am. I was dressed in a shirt and tie, with shiny shoes. I was walking in an office park, having just left the building where I worked and was heading around a mile to the nearest night bus stop. Strange thing was they had driven past two chavvy dressed lads wearing hoodies to stop me instead, which I thought was a bit strange.

Maybe I just have one of those faces. :)
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    One time, when I was a young teenager walking back from school with a load of my mates, my local copper pulled up and shouted - for the whole street to hear - that I had to remind my brother he was up in court that week for drug charges. I thought that was a bit intrusive, especially considering my brother lived outside of my home (and the Guarda knew it because my brother was friends with his son, who sold my brother the drugs), I was a straight-A student who had (and has still) never been in trouble with the law, and we lived in a very small village where everyone my age slagged the crap out of me for it.

Mind you, that copper's house got egged to hell and back that weekend, the giant bell-end.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    A few nights ago me and my wife came back from a night out. My son was up my dad's house as they'd been babysitting.
    We got off the bus near home and I saw my wife home safely, went in and had a bit of super ......

Well, at least the sex was good.
    They probably stopped you because you were looking smug :D
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We got off the bus near home and I saw my wife home safely, went in and had a bit of super and then I walked back by myself to my mum and dads which is on the other end of town.

On my way back a police car turned out of a side street and did a U turn and pulled on the opposite side of the road facing the wrong way and proceeded to curb crawl behind me for a while until I turned around and he stopped. I was on my mobile to my wife as I was walking back talking about our night out. I put my phone to my side but didn't hang up. The conversation went as follows...

Told him my first name
    Told him my full name
    -Where do you live?
    Told him

(Really? It's only 1am it's hardly really late. I thought) What I actually felt like saying was, we don't see many coopers about here either but what's with the reason for stopping me? But I didn't.

Next he said...

-Where are you going?
    -Wheres that?

All I was.doing was walking back to my mum and dad's after a night out yet I was made to feel like I was on trial here. It all felt very intrusive.

He said OK and went on his way. A minute later he turned around and came back past me looking at me like I was up to no good.

...and you went back home where you sat in a darkened room, oblivious to events beyond the tattered walls adorned with strange, crude icons . Seething with unbridled hatred and muttering ancient arcane threats damning the police to hell, your fists so clenched with rage that if one listened in the night the faint drip, drip, drip of blood on carpet could be heard. Then, after two days and two nights had passed and the moon became full, the writhing hatred suddenly subsided, your fists unclenched, the red mist dissipated and you could once again unleash your tale of woe upon the unsuspecting world.
  • Options
    leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there always someone to look up and provide links to old threads you've done?!?That copper however sounds a bit much, coild be seen as intimidating. Saying that, we never see any round here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is there always someone to look up and provide links to old threads you've done?!?That copper however sounds a bit much, coild be seen as intimidating. Saying that, we never see any round here.

That is no way intimidating, I'd be happy for any copper to be checking lone men wandering around an area at that time, or women. I don't see an issue here at all unless 'somebody' wants to make one of it!
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police have the right to ask your name, your address and in some circumstances what you are doing. If they suspected you of wrong doing ( a very general term ) they must inform you of that and their reasoning.

They asked your name, which you gave.
    They asked where you lived, again you gave, freely.

They asked what you were doing (given time, not too unreasonable) and you gave.

They have no right to ask who you are communicating with.

Giving plod the benefit of doubt they may have been looking for someone that met your general description. Put it down to this plod just being an arse.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    That is no way intimidating, I'd be happy for any copper to be checking lone men wandering around an area at that time, or women. I don't see an issue here at all unless 'somebody' wants to make one of it!

Its pretty intimidating having the police question you when you havent done anything wrong and you're not expecting it. They're not nice about it you know they're usually rude and act like they're looking for a reason to arrest you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Police have the right to ask your name, your address and in some circumstances what you are doing. If they suspected you of wrong doing ( a very general term ) they must inform you of that and their reasoning.
    Not quite, they can ask all that whenever they like. However, you are not obligated to provide it unless they actually demand it and have reasoning behind the demand.

For an example of this, any Love Police video where they ask if the officer is requesting or demanding their details will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Its pretty intimidating having the police question you when you havent done anything wrong and you're not expecting it. They're not nice about it you know they're usually rude and act like they're looking for a reason to arrest you.

We have no overview of the area, it may be that there may be a reason for police to be 'observing' activity within the area. If you have done nothing wrong then there should be no reason to feel intimidated, answering your name and where you live isn't exactly intimidating is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What difference does it make what time it is? He had no reason to stop and question me so thoroughly. Yet again more bullying police tactics from bored coppers with nothing else better to do. All I was doing was walking up a main road minding my own business. It's not as if I was skulking around someone's front garden or looking like I was up to no good.

Where are they when you actually need them eh? Probably too busy picking on some poor motorist or intimidating some drunken students. Heaven forbid they actually have to deal with any real criminals.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I was once told by someone, a former solicitor, that the life of a police officer has a way of making them suspect the worst in people. It makes sense when you think about it, though from an innocent person's view it can come across as abrasive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? Working? I'd call that bored and felt like picking on someone just for something to do on a boring rainy night to pass the time. Hardly a reason to stop someone. Since when was walking down a street classed as a good reason to give someone the Spanish Inquisition and what right has he got to demand who I'm talking on the phone to? Cheeky bugger! Sounds more like an abuse of power if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see many coopers up here that late either!

Why were you picking up your child that late at night? Or do you sleep there after a night out with your wife? I am very confused.

Yes I sleep there after a night out so I can be up and give my son breakfast and take him to nursery in the morning. I saves my mum driving down to ours and driving back late. It was easier for me to head back there by myself as it's too far for my wife to walk. She got a peaceful nights sleep in her own bed and a lie in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »

That's EXACTLY how they made me feel. Plus what's with the slow curb crawling behind me as I was walking along until I turned around? Why not just drive straight up and be a bit more open about it rather than this skulking about business and what's with wanting to know who I'm on the phone to. A bit much wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago I was stopped by a policeman while I was walking along the road in town at about 8pm and one of the things he asked me was "What's your mobile phone number?". I refused to tell him and he threatened to arrest me for failing to co-operate. I mean, wtf? I wasn't doing anything suspicious, just walking up a fairly quiet street minding my own business on a nice sunny evening. I told him my number and he wrote it in his notebook with the rest of the answers I'd given him, but looking back I wish I hadn't because I'm sure he couldn't really have arrested me for that. I'm probably the most mild mannered person you'll ever meet and I have never been in trouble with the police - I could count on one hand how many times I've ever spoken to a policeman - so why leap straight to threatening to arrest me?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Told him my first name
    Told him my full name
    -Where do you live?
    Told him

Next he said...

-Where are you going?
    -Wheres that?

Think yourself lucky. I had them pull up and conduct a stop and search on me as well as all those same types of nosy, intrusive questioning just because i was WALKING, yes just walking down a street alone late at night and they said there had been a lot of burglaries there recently. They found nothing on me and then informed me it would be kept on file for 12 months!!!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Just as well they didn't spot you later on, walking through the streets in the middle of the night with a small child, eh? :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get stopped a lot in London during the small hours as I ferry children back to their Mother, plus the strange hours my job entails. But I get stopped whilst driving. I have been stopped by the very same officer twice! It's always 'routine' and the numerous questions follow. 'Where have you been' .. 'where are you going' ... 'have you been drinking' ... 'are you sure you haven't had a drink' :D These are in addition to name, address and so on. Sometimes the breathalyser comes out.

I couldn't care less what they ask me, as I know I am doing nothing wrong, and my car is fully legal.