Premier League Football VS Vine- Are they serious?

lalalala Posts: 21,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/15/premier-league-warns-fans-vine-videos-goals
Premier League warns fans that posting goal vines is illegal, as is sharing them on websites such as Twitter

I don't know about you, but I don't know any serious football fan that sees Vine as a substitute for watching a whole match live. For **** sake, it's a 6 second clip... 6 seconds... There's not much you can show in 6 seconds of a match a part from the moment someone scored A goal or caused A penalty etc.

Even the Hollywood studios, who are usually very trigger happy when it comes to streaming and youtube leaks of their films, are not bothered by Vine... Of all things.

This is a media fail of such epic proportion... You can only but laugh at it.

Premier League= douchebags

Comments

• malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    I presume its to protect the revenue they receive from News International who have the rights to goal clips immediately they are scored, so before Football First and MOTD.
    These are available to pay subscribers of The Sun and Times websites.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they tried this a few times now, and it's probably gonna be a FIXTURE at the start of the season :D
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    They're probably not overly bothered about 6 second Vines, but they'll be worried about where that could potentially lead. 6 second Vines becoming 20 second clips, becoming 2 minute videos shared on social media. In their case, it's probably a good idea to nip it in the bud to protect their licences going forward.

But in this day and age, I think you have to get the balance right. You want buzz and people talking about your product. I've been on Twitter when something has happened in a match I've not been watching and seen how the fallout instantly erupts - a Vine of Luis Suarez biting his latest victim gives almost instant context for people to get involved and interested in. It'll be interesting to see how premium content such as live sport co-exists with advanced social networks in 10 years time.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting when people are wearing google glass or similar products and streaming live matches over the internet :D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Greedy league. Like 6 second clips will stop people from subscribing to Sky or BT.

"Intellectual property", says it all.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    They're probably not overly bothered about 6 second Vines, but they'll be worried about where that could potentially lead. 6 second Vines becoming 20 second clips, becoming 2 minute videos .

:confused:

Vine is only 6 seconds... I don't think they have any plans to increase that to 2 minutes my friend.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    :confused:

Vine is only 6 seconds... I don't think they have any plans to increase that to 2 minutes my friend.

Well you've misunderstood what I was saying, my friend.

If they allow 6 second Vines, then other medias (not Vine) won't hesitate to share 20 second clips and so on...
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they allow 6 second Vines, then other medias (not Vine) won't hesitate to share 20 second clips and so on...

They already do though :confused:.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It will be interesting when people are wearing google glass or similar products and streaming live matches over the internet :D

Easy answer, anyone seen with Google Glass will be thrown out of the ground or not allowed in to begin with. I believe many theatres and cinemas in the US have banned it.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greedy league. Like 6 second clips will stop people from subscribing to Sky or BT.

"Intellectual property", says it all.

It might not stop people subscribing to Sky or BT, but it might stop people subscribing to The Sun or The Times to get instant goal videos.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how they can prevent people doing it unless they ban mobiles from the grounds, and even then it wouldn't stop people filming the goals from the live TV games by rewinding their PVRs.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how they can prevent people doing it unless they ban mobiles from the grounds, and even then it wouldn't stop people filming the goals from the live TV games by rewinding their PVRs.

I presumed it was the latter they were trying to prevent.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I presumed it was the latter they were trying to prevent.
    Yes, probably. :blush: I don't see how they can stop it.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It is bonkers. Why do these big media types try and fight a war they cannot win against the internet?

BTW everyone and their mother already is watching the whole match via the millions of internet match streams around.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just crazy in my view. I doubt anyone who would consider paying for a service to watch the goal clips would consider not doing so becomes of any vine clips. Most people might watch a few vines but in no way would i pay for a clip service even if they are all banned.

It is the same with Man Utd banning tablets from grounds. They say it is because of security but if that was true they would have to scan everyone into the ground and frisk them. The ban is really their to stop people recording the matches.

It is just over the top protection to try and protect a market which is in no danger from these sources all you do is annoy the real fans football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    It might not stop people subscribing to Sky or BT, but it might stop people subscribing to The Sun or The Times to get instant goal videos.

Yes because a low quality 6 second clip will really hamper a quality official 2 minute highlight video, right?

While they are at it, why not ban the BBC from broadcasting highlights, because that might prevent people from actually subscribing to the sports channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

?

No offence, but people have been uploading longer clips of a football match since the dawn of internet videos. Vine has only been around for a year. Your argument makes a much sense as... Well you get the picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Yes because a low quality 6 second clip will really hamper a quality official 2 minute highlight video, right?

While they are at it, why not ban the BBC from broadcasting highlights, because that might prevent people from actually subscribing to the sports channels.

They aren't 2 minute highlight videos - they are in-play goal clips. And while they may be 20 seconds rather than 6, they are exactly the same concept.

And it's not the same as banning the BBC from broadcasting highlights because the BBC is PAYING for the rights to do that, just like Sky and BT are paying, and just like News International is paying.

People sitting in the stand using Vine are not paying, they are stealing.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Man Utd have banned tablets from Old Trafford:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11027601/Manchester-United-ban-fans-from-bringing-iPads-and-other-tablets-into-Old-Trafford-this-season.html

I have no problem with them banning the use of them to record the game as they can block the view of other spectators (and makes the user look stupid) and I have often seen stewards stop people using video cameras - but banning them from the ground is surely going to far. How it enforced? If you have one in your bag are you denied entry or is it confiscated?

I often go to an away game and make a weekend out of the trip so I'll have a small overnight bag with me and will often take a small (non-Apple) tablet with me.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Sky stop showing viewers short clips of Premier League games and other divisions on Soccer AM?
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    They aren't 2 minute highlight videos - they are in-play goal clips. And while they may be 20 seconds rather than 6, they are exactly the same concept.

And it's not the same as banning the BBC from broadcasting highlights because the BBC is PAYING for the rights to do that, just like Sky and BT are paying, and just like News International is paying.

Still stupid. Waste of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit of an extreme statement.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fans are being ripped off left right & centre so I don't have a massive problem with a low quality 6 second phone clip. I have been to other big sports events & have had no problems filming so why football?
    Then maybe we should ask that pub lady in Portsmouth who took on the EPL & won.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Bit of an extreme statement.

Not at all.

Have these people paid to film clips on their phones/tablets and distribute them over the internet? No.

Is this something that other people are being charged to do? Yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.

Have these people paid to film clips on their phones/tablets and distribute them over the internet? No.

Is this something that other people are being charged to do? Yes.

Well, be that as it may, a total of 9 clips of Ki's goal for Swansea appeared on Vine within five minutes of it being scored.