Night of the long knives at Radio Lincolnshire

timelord2008timelord2008 Posts: 206
Forum Member
Dave Bussey (ex Radio 2) and Dylan Roys have "left the station" following "a wide ranging package of scheduling changes which will be announced soon", according to the Lincolnshire Echo today.

Incidentally, Martin Daniels who did the afternoon show hasn't been "heard" for some weeks and his profile has been hidden on the web site.

Comments

• R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, these are long standing presenters on Radio Lincolnshire, except Martin Daniels. Will have to wait and see what's going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Martin Daniels on his last show was heard to say that it was not his decision to leave. The powers that be had decided his time was up. Dave Bussey has been a loyal servant to BBC radio Lincolnshire and I feel if it's true that he is to be replaced then this is a shame because he has dedicated his life to the station and has built up a popular loyal following.
  • timelord2008timelord2008 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Alan Hardwick, ex YTV/Calendar had a very good show on the station a couple of years ago and then disappeared suddenly.
    Seems these days they are only interested in playing MOR music between jingles and the news.
    Forum Member
    Another one gone - Chris Jones on Sunday.

Seems also that Charlie Partridge the Managing Editor has gone, as our local press refer to Kate Slade as the temporary Managing Editor.
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Sally Fairfax's show yesterday who was in for Sue Taylor. Think Sally is from BBC Leeds, or Humberside?
    Forum Member
    From thisislincolnshire:

I am sad to be leaving BBC Radio Lincolnshire after a relationship which has lasted since 1980. I was the presenter of the second show to be broadcast on the first day of transmissions. BBC Radio Lincolnshire like other parts of the BBC has had some tough decisions to make because of the licence fee settlement falling below their expectations. Freelance presenters such as myself, Dave Bussey and Dylan Roys were too expensive(but not that expensive!. The BBC have also announced today that their message boards will close on 1 April. Up and down the country many freelance presenters have left stations after many years service. I have invested a lot of time in BBC Radio Lincolnshire and wish the station luck in the future. They have a difficult time ahead, with an ever changing radio landscape. The introduction of DAB later this year will bring a whole new platform of stations to the listening public in Lincolnshire. There will also be new community stations in Lincoln and Grantham. The younger team at BBC Radio Lncolnshire have tough challenges ahead with their 'refreshed format.' As for me, I will continue working in radio, as whilst working at Radio Lincolnshire at weekends, I have also been working in the commercial sector. It is very likely that I will be able to be heard in the area in the near future. So Sunday sees my last show for Radio Lincolnshire and the end of an almost 30 year association with the BBC. I would like to thank all the listeners who have helped me make some interesting and enjoyable shows over the years,(around 10,000 including quiz shows and documentaries). And all those who have supported my off air projects, like setting up the Great Austrailian Breakfast, Special flights with special children on the Jumbo jet with the British Airways cabin crew who live in Lincolnshire, and the hundreds of bazaars, fetes, chatity dinners and so on that I have attended over the years, meeting so many fantastic people.
    Chris Jones, Lincoln
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    I enjoyed Sally Fairfax's show yesterday who was in for Sue Taylor. Think Sally is from BBC Leeds, or Humberside?

I think Sally is too overrated to be honest. She is appearing on so many stations at the moment round here, not just BBC but also with Martin Kelner on Real Radio from time to time. One day she does the news on Humberside, then the next day she is doing the phone-in, then later she will pop up on Radio Leeds....

Chris Jones was until recently also on Real Radio from Leeds doing a very good show.

Radio Lincolnshire are also taking Westenders, the camp show tunes program that Radio Humberside have put out for the past few years.
  • blythsmartenblythsmarten Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    The goings on at R Lincolnshire are similar to what has been happening at other BBC local stations around the country. It has been well documented elswhere on this forum about the dumbing down of programmes and the axing of popular experienced presenters. What are BBC management up to and do they honestly think the current product is anywhere near the qualiy of previous years ? All they seem to be doing is upsetting and losing thousands of listeners.It appears to be lazy programming relying on the listeners to enhance the shows with calls and texts.
    eg. My local station asks listeners to phone in with news of events going on at the weekend but previously they used to do the research and inform us what was going on.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something similar has also happened at BBC Three Counties. Stephen Rhodes is moving from the excellent consumer programme and taking over the breakfast slot . He is being replaced by Jonathan Vernon-Smith who, by the sound of it, is going to combine the serious consumer element of the programme with a "whacky phone-in". That sounds like dumbing down to me.
    Forum Member
    Interesting - Kate Slade may be someone who had previously worked at BBC Radio Humberside - Radio Lincolnshire starts taking on a Radio Humberside show. Could this be the beginning of the end for Radio Lincolnshire being in the East Midlands radio region?
    Forum Member
    More news:

Radio Lincolnshire will start taking the Early Breakfast show from BBC Radio Humberside from next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More news:

Radio Lincolnshire will start taking the Early Breakfast show from BBC Radio Humberside from next week.

Are they? I'm sure people in Boston, Sleaford & Skegness want to hear about whats going on in Hull, Goole & Beverley! :rolleyes:
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    Some of the BBC Locals so need a bit of modernising though, some have kept up with the times and others are still playing big band music in their daytime schedule!
    Forum Member
    Are they? I'm sure people in Boston, Sleaford & Skegness want to hear about whats going on in Hull, Goole & Beverley! :rolleyes:

Yep, at least those towns have more in common (as regards connections) to Nottingham, Leicester and the rest of the East Midlands. The BBC in Hull are desperately trying to lump Lincolnshire into a region that does not and will not exist, culturally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy, so they a BBC Humberside early show, an East Midlands wide late show and on Sundays a show from the Eastern Counties with Keith Skues.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, at least those towns have more in common (as regards connections) to Nottingham, Leicester and the rest of the East Midlands. The BBC in Hull are desperately trying to lump Lincolnshire into a region that does not and will not exist, culturally.

BBC Radio Humberside in Hull is part of the BBC North cluster, where as Lincolnshire crosses over into the East Midlands region. Even though Radio Lincolnshire comes off Belmont which is the same mast as BBC North & Yorkshire TV (East) received in Hull. I know it gets confusing! :rolleyes:
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's already happening here where BBC Radio Gloucestershire's early morning show (5-6) is also taken by BBC Swindon and BBC Radio Wiltshire.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the BBC needs to decide to which region does Lincolnshire really belong and then provide some decent coverage. Should it be BBC East Midlands (Nottingham) or BBC North (Hull)?

Why does BBC Regional TV news cover much of Lincolnshire on both East Midlands Today and Look North? I find it very annoying that Lincoln gets coverage on both programmes when some other areas receive no local news that they can receive! Large areas of Mansfield in neighbouring Nottinghamshire receives no local news. Reception of East Midlands Today is impossible and yet BBC Look North (Hull - Belmont Transmitter) from where large areas of North Nottinghamshire receive their TV now refuses to cover Nottinghamshire.

What I am getting at here is if East Midlands Today can be received and is covering most of Lincoln and South Lincolnshire why provide a duplicate service from Look North (Hull). Whereas why does East Midlands Today try to provide so much coverage for Mansfield when most of the people there can only receive Look North, yet Look North ignores them!

Coming back to to the original subject. When Look North split its area there was real potential to provide a first class news service from Hull, via the Belmont transmitter, to East Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and North Nottinghamshire. Then east Midlands Today could concentrate more fully upon Nottingham and South Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and leicestershire etc. But what have we now got? Is it Look Hull or the Peter Levy Show! Hull must now have the best regional news service in the country because they have a programme almost entirely devoted to that city as they don't seem to care about or cover anywhere else in any detail.

I have sent various emails to the BBC in Hull, Leeds and Nottingham about the lack of coverage, that we are actually able to receive, in Mansfield but they do not reply!
    Forum Member

But surely as they'll be broadcasting to Lincolnshire as well, they'll widen their editorial to feature places Boston, Sleaford and Skegness?

The boundaries are all artificial, I doubt the good people of Skeggy care what goes on in Lincoln either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely as they'll be broadcasting to Lincolnshire as well, they'll widen their editorial to feature places Boston, Sleaford and Skegness?

The boundaries are all artificial, I doubt the good people of Skeggy care what goes on in Lincoln either!

Agreed, but a BBC Radio Skegness would be asking a bit much!

The boundary is not artificial, its called the river Humber. :)
    Although Scunthorpe, Brigg, Immingham, Grimsby & Cleethorpes were once part of Humberside before North & N.E. Lincolnshire came along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Scunthorpe, Brigg, Immingham, Grimsby & Cleethorpes were once part of Humberside before North & N.E. Lincolnshire came along.

...and we are still nearer to the Humber and to Hull than we are to Lincoln. Anyway, this could be a ploy by the beeb to move the editorial boundary of Radio Lincolnshire to cover the south bank of the Humber. Although to do that they will need to increase the power of 94.9fm as it is rather patchy in some parts up here.

With the move to DAB next year from sites on the north bank, this should see the DAB signal cover the former South Humberside area quite clearly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    With the move to DAB next year from sites on the north bank, this should see the DAB signal cover the former South Humberside area quite clearly.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head!
    Forum Member

Well yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that those on one side of the river have nothing to do with those on the other. Hull is as far away from Lincoln as Skeggy, just because there's a river (and a boundary?) inbetween doesn't mean anything
  • MARK414MARK414 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I lived in Hull when it was part of 'umberside. I knew quite a few folks from both sides of the Humber as I was at college and it had sites in Grimsby and Hull.

The 'yellowbellies' of Lincolnshire look to Hull for news and information as much as Manchester looks to Liverpool....

It was a regular thing for 'Humberside' road signs to be sprayed over with Lincolnshire or with East Yorkshire. The county of Humberside was a creation of Local Govt re-organisation. It was as though someone saw Merseyside and thought to themselves 'Oh, we could do the same with around the Humber', just didn't work.

That was why the last lot of local govt re-organisation brought back East Yorkshire and created seperate councils for North/North East Lincs. For many people, the only problem with the River Humber was that it wasn't wide enough. The Humber bridge has never made any money (at one time the interest was more that it raised in tolls) because the traffic flow between the areas isn't a lot.

For a while BBC Humberside did split news using FM and AM with north bank on one frequency and south bank on the other.

Grouping Lincolnshire with Humberside is the sort of thing that some who's knowledge of the local area is scant.

Lincolnshire with the East Mids is a bit of a big patch but there is some logic in it but Lincs with East Yorkshire. Been done and it failed. Sticking a very expensive bridge in, making up a name that wasn't really used and that doesn't make a region/area.

Humberside did not ever have the structure and feel that Merseyside has and isn't likely to.
  • MARK414MARK414 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    No, but SuperSkegg 103FM has a ring to it...

:rolleyes: