Options

The "All New" Gadget Show - 5th of November

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that they've tried to do a Top Gear, but failed. What we need now is a Fifth Gear type programme to come along and be old Gadget Show.

I wouldn't say they "failed". The original format was ticking along nicely as far as I can tell, although I will certainly concede that it did need a refresh and revamp.

The only "fail" here was the "World Tour" format that was completely overblown and unecessary. IMO of course :)
    DJGM wrote: »
    You might want to take a look at some of the offerings from Revision3.com. It used to be 100% independently run,
    but got bought out by the media company behind Discovery Channel earlier this year. They have a wide range of
    dedicated technology shows that put the Top Gear knock-off Gadget Show to shame!

Cheers, i'll check those out.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the change and the fail I was referring to.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    I hate to disappoint but the producers confirmed they had recorded 10 more world tour episodes earlier in the year for broadcast in the Autumn, these are those episodes with a bit extra UK based footage quickly shot over the summer and given a different name.

Watching the footage it is clearly the case why else would they be testing juicers in what looks like India.

Also not shocked to see them marveling over an iphone 5 in the preview and for some reason watching TVs with green Apples on them, subtle I think not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been keeping up with the latest Gadget Show news. I hope they've not changed it too much. Hated the mid series theme tune change and the way they moved the day it aired as well mid flow.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theya re already selling tickets for the April Gadget Show Live so I guess there's a spring series too in the pipeline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What people fail to grasp is that the neutral (myself) who aren't ideally your tech or car buying fan don't tune in to watch Top Gear/Fifth Gear/Gadget Show purely for the thrill of learning something about an upcoming product. We usually tune in for the humour/silliness and camaraderie between the presenters.

I've watched Top Gear for years even though I could care less about cars and haven't learnt a single thing. I felt Fifth Gear's approach to just be a snobbish bore fest/Top Gear before Clarkson didn't do them any favours.

The presenters on Gadget Show were rather enticing. The two left aren't the two I'd have picked. Major cock up by Five. What they've done is make a mainstream format turn rather dull and just for geeks.

I love geek sleek but I can't be bothered with the tech minus no entertainment factor.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Tomorrows World.

On the BBC, don't let Channel 5 get their hands on it.

Broadcast Live, and in HD, so most of us can watch in HD.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    What people fail to grasp is that the neutral (myself) who aren't ideally your tech or car buying fan don't tune in to watch Top Gear/Fifth Gear/Gadget Show purely for the thrill of learning something about an upcoming product. We usually tune in for the humour/silliness and camaraderie between the presenters.

I've watched Top Gear for years even though I could care less about cars and haven't learnt a single thing. I felt Fifth Gear's approach to just be a snobbish bore fest/Top Gear before Clarkson didn't do them any favours.

The presenters on Gadget Show were rather enticing. The two left aren't the two I'd have picked. Major cock up by Five. What they've done is make a mainstream format turn rather dull and just for geeks.

I love geek sleek but I can't be bothered with the tech minus no entertainment factor.

Don't know what you were watching but it was certainly no show for Geeks. If anything th last series was even more about the "entertainment"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it should just be renamed "the apple show"
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Suzi no watchy :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    mmmm....sounds like another excuse for Jason to pretend he's 17 again and he's found someone to go along with it! I'll vote with my off button thanks....may as well get gadget reviews on t'internet.
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Pollyanna is there for obvious reasons - check out her 2013 calendar to get an idea of how seriously she wants to be taken.

5 should have abandoned the whole project & saved money.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    mmmm....sounds like another excuse for Jason to pretend he's 17 again and he's found someone to go along with it! I'll vote with my off button thanks....may as well get gadget reviews on t'internet.
    What a boring programme The Gadget Show would be if it were to simply be a TV version of "gadget reviews on t'internet."

I bet such a programme would be lucky to get 200,000 viewers. Which is probably why they haven't tried it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Well Pollyanna is there for obvious reasons - check out her 2013 calendar to get an idea of how seriously she wants to be taken.
    She got her kit off for a calendar? Oh no !!! Clearly knows nothing about gadgets in that case. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it should just be renamed "the apple show"
    Yeah, and maybe whilst we're at it consumers in general should all be labelled "apple lovers" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon was the father figure in the show and the all knowing king of tech knowledge, but for some reason, he was pushed into the background for most of the show, and came across like an over excited Granddad whenever he got to do a piece on camera.

Otis became what Jason used to be, and that was having a good balance of genuine knowledge and the likeability, a bit like your mate down the pub. Jason started losing a bit of both and, whilst I still have a soft spot for the guy, he got a bit tiresome.

Suzi and Polly is a curious case. Granted, they're more or less there for eye candy, but Suzi did know her stuff, or at least put on a good act to show she could. Polly was just unnecessary as the rivalry between her and Suzi was too blatant. Suzi still looks great, but not as youthful as she once was, so when they're bringing in a slim young blonde, it's just pretty obvious what they're doing.

If anything, the World Tour should've been Jason and Suzi. They're veterans and their on-screen friendship has been there for years too. Jason and Polly seemed forced and didn't seem genuine.

In short, The Gadget Show is a farce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon was the father figure in the show and the all knowing king of tech knowledge, but for some reason, he was pushed into the background for most of the show, and came across like an over excited Granddad whenever he got to do a piece on camera.

Otis became what Jason used to be, and that was having a good balance of genuine knowledge and the likeability, a bit like your mate down the pub. Jason started losing a bit of both and, whilst I still have a soft spot for the guy, he got a bit tiresome.

Suzi and Polly is a curious case. Granted, they're more or less there for eye candy, but Suzi did know her stuff, or at least put on a good act to show she could. Polly was just unnecessary as the rivalry between her and Suzi was too blatant. Suzi still looks great, but not as youthful as she once was, so when they're bringing in a slim young blonde, it's just pretty obvious what they're doing.

If anything, the World Tour should've been Jason and Suzi. They're veterans and their on-screen friendship has been there for years too. Jason and Polly seemed forced and didn't seem genuine.

In short, The Gadget Show is a farce.

This just about sums it up.
    Good review.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    This just about sums it up.
    Good review.
    Even as an occasional viewer, I agree too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why even bother with this thread then if it's such a hopeless programme ? :confused:

Getting boring now people popping in just to say "I hate the show" or words to that effect. At this rate we'll have to start a separate thread for actual episode discussion.

I still find it a little amusing how everyone on here was predicting Sky's Gadget Geeks was going to be great and show TGS how it should be done. And it didn't even get past the first series. :D:D

TGS is already on 19, is it now? I lose count. Not bad for a show people don't have time for on this board. :)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    By the looks of the teaser, and the apparent name change, it appears that the "World Tour" format that cost Suzi, Jon and Ortis their jobs has been dropped.
    Or they could only afford to do one per year. Perhaps we'll get the same next year; one "World Tour" and one 'standard'.

Haven't watched it myself yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is and not moan about what it is not.
    Dancc wrote: »
    What a boring programme The Gadget Show would be if it were to simply be a TV version of "gadget reviews on t'internet."

I bet such a programme would be lucky to get 200,000 viewers. Which is probably why they haven't tried it. :)

This is a point I have tried to explain before. Yes, I'd love a complete geek-fest like .tv but the vast majority of the viewing public would not.
    Don't know what you were watching but it was certainly no show for Geeks.
    It's not supposed to be :rolleyes:
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Well Pollyanna is there for obvious reasons...
    Those reasons being that she actually knows her tech and knows what she's talking about, of course.
    check out her 2013 calendar to get an idea of how seriously she wants to be taken.
    Yes, because attractive girls can't know anything about technology, can they :rolleyes:
    Dancc wrote: »
    I still find it a little amusing how everyone on here was predicting Sky's Gadget Geeks was going to be great and show TGS how it should be done.
    And they still had "tested to disctruction" (if only a very short one!) and a weekly "build".
    And it didn't even get past the first series. :D:D
    Has this been confirmed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched it myself yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is and not moan about what it is not

I've just watched it. Took me about 12 minutes from start to finish. The intensely irritating solo interview pieces have been retained and the faux "reality" bits of them talking to each other in the car are also still there.

The main thing that struck me about this particular episode is that it really did highlight how Jason and Polly still don't really have any chemistry. Sure, it's obvious that they're mates, but they just don't have, to use a cliche, "it", in the same way that Suzi and Jason did.

If they'd have done this format with all five of them and rotated the number of people doing each piece, then it could have worked a lot better because you're not stuck with the same two people all the time.

But I accept that this is the show we're stuck with now. so I'll just have to get on with it. I can't see me ever watching it "properly" again though.
  • Options
    Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last night and rather enjoyed it, sure I would have preferred it if all the old presenters were still on it but they aren't so I will have to enjoy what I've got.

I quite like Jason and Polly tbh they both seen to be into gadgets and project that interest to the viewer, the show does need more presenters though I feel viewers will get bored of just 2 very quickly, if Suze and Ortis won't come back maybe Gail Porter and Jon Bentley?

Also was glad to see Jon will be at gadget show live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    Also was glad to see Jon will be at gadget show live

Interesting .. with Polly and Ortis having tweeted each other on the odd occasion, you have to wonder if bridges are being built?

I can't see any being built in Jason's direction though ..
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness I gave the show another chance last night to see if any lessons had been learnt from earlier in the year.
    Seems the new format is being persevered with. Switched off after half an hour. Stupid phone piece (why no Samsung Jase, too close to your beloved Apple?).
    Disappointed but not surprised. RIP The Gadget Show.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) The "best" batteries, GP Alkaline, are the only ones in many that have leaked in storage on me, rubbish.

2) Does anyone have a list, or URL for the 10 ranked in order ?

3) I cannot access the Gadget Show website whichever browser I use, unless I register, which I will not do. Cue SPAM.

4) I didn't think it was too bad, a fair bit of fast forwarding though.

5) Pollyanna seems chunkier, has she put weight on, around her face especially.