Annie & flagpole

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I think Rottweiller has already grabbed that role :D He's only been using them about a year (I can remember him posting about trying one out, wanting to run a Hackintosh beforehand) but he's a total die-hard now. Whenever anyone mentions getting a new PC, for whatever reason, he always suggests a Mac and, in most cases, throws the thread up in the air. Blinkered and unwittingly hilarious :D

Ah yes I remember those threads :D Priceless!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    boo! let them back I say :D

I agree,
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I miss that guy, and jammers. This forum used to be a lot more fun.

jammers did resurface a couple of years back under a new name. He got banned again.

Dave
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rottweiller has already grabbed that role :D He's only been using them about a year (I can remember him posting about trying one out, wanting to run a Hackintosh beforehand) but he's a total die-hard now. Whenever anyone mentions getting a new PC, for whatever reason, he always suggests a Mac and, in most cases, throws the thread up in the air. Blinkered and unwittingly hilarious :D

Vallhund and Rottweiler... both breeds of dog. Just saying.

I must admit I do miss Vallhund's utterly immovable Mac evangelism. His ability to find pro-Mac links on the web and then page them into his responses was legendary.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the satisfaction surveys :D Speaking of which, I read about one in US and Apple wasn't doing so well, Nokia was :p
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The Rat wrote: »
    jammers did resurface a couple of years back under a new name. He got banned again.

Dave

Lol, I'd forgotten about that. It was obvious it was him, but he tried to pretend it wasn't.

All those Mac v PC threads were annoying at the time, but they seem quite amusing looking back.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would one of those be Vallhund? He became inactive March 2011...
    It's been a few years but I must finally come clean, I think it's me who got Vallhund perma-banned. In reply to one of his usual posts telling anyone who didn't agree with they were stupid and telling me what I think, I calmly told him that things were pleasant while he was on one of his recent ban induced holidays and he was only here to deride people and wind them up, I concluded with a nice hearty "why don't you f*ck off?". When I logged in the next morning, the posts were gone and so was he, I'm still wondering why I didn't get hit with the ban-stick too.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    It's been a few years but I must finally come clean, I think it's me who got Vallhund perma-banned. In reply to one of his usual posts telling anyone who didn't agree with they were stupid and telling me what I think, I calmly told him that things were pleasant while he was on one of his recent ban induced holidays and he was only here to deride people and wind them up, I concluded with a nice hearty "why don't you f*ck off?". When I logged in the next morning, the posts were gone and so was he, I'm still wondering why I didn't get hit with the ban-stick too.

To be honest, if you hadn't have said it, someone would have. He just had this ability to wind people up - sort of trolling without actually trying to troll.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there should be a PC v's Mac trollfest thread setup by the mods perhaps with someone who doesn't give a crap about all this stuff but knows their onions to keep score so we can see who's winning....such as i play my shouldn't of Steve Jobs come back to Apple 3 days after his reported death card will get me 20 points but your Apples hard to drop a nasty onto will balance it out etc :D

could make for some good stuff and might keep some of it from spoiling some other threads
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It had been coming for a while, he didn't do himself any favours by being "Alert" happy himself.

TBF for a while back then I was pretty close to getting a permaban myself
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fletchem wrote: »
    To be honest, if you hadn't have said it, someone would have. He just had this ability to wind people up - sort of trolling without actually trying to troll.

There's someone active here that reminds me of him, one of the threads I read earlier has someone who is not technically minded just jumping onto a thread and posting a "solution" based on their own prejudices then kept popping back to fan the flames.

The funny thing is, it's almost as if Vallhund's evangelical behaviour turned me off Apple products because in the time since he left I now have a Mac, an iPhone an iPad and Apple TV something I couldn't see myself doing while he was preaching and rubbishing others for not seeing the light. Having said that it is a bit boring in here since he left, that's why I go to politics to argue and I think Flagpole did too. ;)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I'm still wondering why I didn't get hit with the ban-stick too.

It's a funny one. This year there have been two occasions where I got into slanging matches with members who had wound me up. It doesn't happen much, can't honestly remember what exactly was said but they were stupid things.
    On both occasions I've come back the following morning to find posts removed and the other member banned, in one case it appears to be a perma-ban... Dunno if it was because of something I missed after logging off or what...

(just watch me get banned, now... :D)
    Forum Member
    Having said that it is a bit boring in here since he left, that's why I go to politics to argue and I think Flagpole did too. ;)

Bloody hell, I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Dave
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    It had been coming for a while, he didn't do himself any favours by being "Alert" happy himself.

TBF for a while back then I was pretty close to getting a permaban myself

I got a couple of temp bans back then too. Sounds like we all did :D
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always against "the permissive society" which was apparently prevelant at the time of my youth, primarly because I didn't get any of it.
    Are you now saying that I'm failing again because I don't seem to be getting close to being banned?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    The only mention of the word 'ban' that I can see in the Rules is under swearing, something annie and flagpole were not famous for.
    Deliberately evading this language filter in order to post offensive language will likely result in a ban as you've demonstrated a complete disregard for the forum rules.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a list of what you can be banned for and for how long or is it anything in the list ?
    I have seen many threads where lots of these rules are broken all the time but nobody gets banned.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have a list of what you can be banned for and for how long or is it anything in the list ?

It should be fairly obvious what the banned words are. And publishing a list of "holiday" durations is not going to help. If you don't want to get banned, don't use those words.
    I have seen many threads where lots of these rules are broken all the time but nobody gets banned.

Agree. I've seen a number of instances where the filter is deliberately bypassed for no justified reason and there's no action taken. I've even seen one instance where there's a banned word asterisked in their profile information - that should not be allowed.

If you're reading this, hope you get well soon, Annie.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only mention of the word 'ban' that I can see in the Rules is under swearing, something annie and flagpole were not famous for.

There's also Hearst Magazine's (Who own Digital Spy among others) company policies:
    4.2. Users of the Discussion Forums warrant and undertake that they will not:

post libellous or defamatory comments;
    post anything relating to any ongoing or pending trial;
    post content which you have copied from someone else (i.e. you do not own the copyright);
    use profanities;
    post a personal insult about another user;
    advertise or solicit;
    impersonate another user; or

post material that is deliberately intended to upset other users.
    As well as;
    4.10. Should Hearst Magazines become aware of any activity that would be contrary to the Terms or determine in their sole discretion to be unacceptable, then Hearst Magazines reserves the right to take action including temporary or permanent removal of content, filtering of internet transmissions and/or to exclude the user with immediate effect and, where necessary, to forward any incriminating material in its possession to the UK police or other relevant authorities.

4.11. You accept that Hearst Magazines may keep a record of your IP and/or host address for reference purposes only (in order to keep a track on the amount of visitors per day). In the event of any breach of these Terms, Hearst Magazines may view and add your IP and/or host address to an 'excluded database' to prevent you gaining further access to the Sites. These addresses are not distributed or given out to any third party services.

http://www.hearst.co.uk/magazines/Terms-and-Conditions.html
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    It should be fairly obvious what the banned words are. And publishing a list of "holiday" durations is not going to help. If you don't want to get banned, don't use those words.

Yes I think I can work out which words are banned, my point was that swearing is the only item that mentions the word ban.
    I doubt annie or flagpole got banned for swearing, of course they may have suddenly started swearing and I missed it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a couple of temp bans back then too. Sounds like we all did :D

Yeah I got a temp ban about that time too, was never really sure why lol ;)
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a ban for a week once, when I posted a question and certain people did not like it...i was not anything bad just a simple question in regards to what happened at an old job....
    bring back the DS2.. they both were very helpful
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4.2. Users of the Discussion Forums warrant and undertake that they will not.................post anything relating to any ongoing or pending trial;

So we can talk about people who've merely been arrested, but not charged?
    4.11. You accept that Hearst Magazines may keep a record of your IP and/or host address for reference purposes only (in order to keep a track on the amount of visitors per day). In the event of any breach of these Terms, Hearst Magazines may view and add your IP and/or host address to an 'excluded database' to prevent you gaining further access to the Sites

The second sentence seems to contradict the "reference purposes only" in the first.

Just saying.
    Forum Member
    I think we can assume those of us who have done a number of years in C&N (yes, old schoollers will remembers its old name!) will have had a ban or two, such is how this place is run. Frankly I stopped worrying about it years ago after I realised there is little logic or consistency to how bans are issued and for what. Needless to say, avoid being a tit and you will generally be ok.

Dave
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the sentiments in this thread. Reading it whilst banned was not unlike attending your own funeral as a ghost. I was minded of the episode of TNG – The Next Phase.

So yes two weeks ban. I have basically realised that no matter what you do, if you post thousands of posts a year, you will get banned around twice a year. It’s always based on a misunderstanding, but you don’t get chance to explain yourself. And because you have been banned before, the ban is two weeks, no regard is given to the thousands of post you may have written in between. Annoying, but I guess they can do what they like. I have all my ban emails, I was two-week-banned once for saying ‘don’t feed the troll’ something you will see all over the board and it was to someone who was subsequently banned for trolling. It’s just arbitrary.

Without wishing to be overly self indulgent it’s difficult not to feel badly treated And for a time I always resent attempting to make a useful contribution to the site.

In the two weeks, the time I normally spend on DS was spent learning javascript. Next time it will be HTML5.

Far more worrying is the loss of Annie. A genuine asset to the forum. I see she is another victim of Hugh_’s. A self confessed troll who claims to have a dozen accounts. He reported me 3 times. I know because he PM’d me to tell me. Nonetheless I’m sure he will be back.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Thanks for the sentiments in this thread. Reading it whilst banned was not unlike attending your own funeral as a ghost. I was minded of the episode of TNG – The Next Phase.

So yes two weeks ban. I have basically realised that no matter what you do, if you post thousands of posts a year, you will get banned around twice a year. It’s always based on a misunderstanding, but you don’t get chance to explain yourself. And because you have been banned before, the ban is two weeks, no regard is given to the thousands of post you may have written in between. Annoying, but I guess they can do what they like. I have all my ban emails, I was two-week-banned once for saying ‘don’t feed the troll’ something you will see all over the board and it was to someone who was subsequently banned for trolling. It’s just arbitrary.

Without wishing to be overly self indulgent it’s difficult not to feel badly treated And for a time I always resent attempting to make a useful contribution to the site.

In the two weeks, the time I normally spend on DS was spent learning javascript. Next time it will be HTML5.

Far more worrying is the loss of Annie. A genuine asset to the forum. I see she is another victim of Hugh_’s. A self confessed troll who claims to have a dozen accounts. He reported me 3 times. I know because he PM’d me to tell me. Nonetheless I’m sure he will be back.

DS moderation is the weirdest and most unfathomable on the net.
    You can talk about all sorts of body fluids in the most vile and disgusting of ways, you can incessently post inane and rambling posts in order to constantly bait people, you can troll to your hearts content, and still not get removed.
    But a 'cool story bro', or a don't feed the troll' from a recognized contributer to the forum and it's bye bye...

I do wonder why we bother sometimes.