Cordless headphones. Advice required.

I've had a set of Sony wireless headphones for nearly a decade and the headband finally broke on them so I'm looking for replacements.

Anybody got any general advice or reccomendations?

After a quick sniff around eBay, it seems my main choices are radio, infrared or bluetooth.

I'm not at all interested in Bluetooth ones. I bought a set for my laptop and it's a PITA having to continually pair them and the sound can stutter during gaming or when the PC is multi-tasking and there's the whole worry about software compatibility so, just no.

That leaves IR and radio.
I do tend to use them at night so I can listen to stuff while I'm wandering around the house so I guess that should rule out IR but if anybody can tell me that the sound is much better on the IR headphones I might be prepared to give them a try.

Alternatively, maybe there's some kind of cordless receiver box that I could buy and plug a pair of corded headphones into?
That seems kinda clumsy but I guess it means I'd be able to use a pair of known quality headphones and the box would just receive the signal from my PC.
That might be preferable to buying a set of headphones which appear to tick all the right boxes but end up being disappointing simply because the actual headphones are poor quality.

Basically, I just want something that can plug into the audio-out from my PC (ideally via a 3.5mm jack), is recheargeable and has good ergonomics.

So, any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the Sennheiser range. I have yet to find a duff pair of Sennheisers, even the cheap and cheerful end of the price range sound decent.

They do several models most of which use RF. Some at the top end of the range use digital transmission technology which uses the 2.4GHz band. So that might be a problem is there is a lot of WiFi activity around you which of course uses the same band.

You need to read the specs carefully however as some models can charge the batteries from the base unit and others need an external charger that isn't provided.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HDR170s. They are fantastic. Very good quality with a massive range. A few times I have washed the car outside the front of the house wearing them with the base plugged in upstairs at the back of the house.
    They are very comfortable for long periods and you just stick them on the base to charge. I don't know what the life is but I've probably used them for 12 hours without charging with no issues. They aren't cheap though. I managed to get them for £110 but they are usually around £150.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HDR170s. They are fantastic. Very good quality with a massive range. A few times I have washed the car outside the front of the house wearing them with the base plugged in upstairs at the back of the house.
    They are very comfortable for long periods and you just stick them on the base to charge. I don't know what the life is but I've probably used them for 12 hours without charging with no issues. They aren't cheap though. I managed to get them for £110 but they are usually around £150.

Don't you mean RS 170 the HDR170 is the additional set.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Don't you mean RS 170 the HDR170 is the additional set.

Oh yes, sorry. I read it off the side of the headphones :o