Options

If I don't need a TV Licence....

FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
Forum Member
✭✭
I tell them.. and then to they send someone round to check?
I have TVs, but they are only hooked up to DVD/Home cinema system. My TV ariel has been disconnected.

I travel backwards and forwards and I am away a lot. Will they hold it against me if they do a random visit when I am away?

Comments

• Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    They cant enter when your not there.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone even entertain the notion of letting a stranger from a private company (Capita), a company who I might add automatically assume that you're lying to them, into your home to check on something that is none of their concern?

Ignore them.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They cant enter when your not there.
    And they have no statutory right of entry when you are there either!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't come in without your permission.

I hadn't had a telly for two years and in utter despair had eventually written 'I haven't got a f*ing telly' in pink highlighter on the latest letter from them.
    So they popped round. I gave them the keys and told them I'd be in the pub down the road when they'd finished looking for the non-existent telly. And if they'd feed the dog, I'd appreciate it.

Never heard from them again.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just sent a message through the 'contact us' website form saying I didn't watch TV or have one hooked up to receive a signal so would they kindly stop sending letters. Got a reply the next day saying thank you for the info and they'd contact me again in two years. I've not been bothered since.

If anyone did come round, then it would be an expensive wasted journey. The telly I have is in the spare room with nothing but games consoles attached to it. Not that I can use them thanks to a certain pet rabbit having fun with the wires...
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    I tell them.. and then to they send someone round to check?
    I have TVs, but they are only hooked up to DVD/Home cinema system. My TV ariel has been disconnected.

I travel backwards and forwards and I am away a lot. Will they hold it against me if they do a random visit when I am away?

You'll be fine i told them i don't need a license they sent a lovely lass around who cheked what i was saying was true, i let her come in she checked my tv saw it was only connected up to my pc and ps3, confirmed no live tv signal was getting to my tv sogned a form and said "see you in about 2 years time" been just under a year and i've not had a single letter or visit from them.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    We'll I don't watch live TV so don't need a license. I have a laptop hooked upto a tv which is used as a screen and I watch catch up and netflix on there. I will never let these people in or respond to their letters.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite surprised we have so many people on this forum who own a TV, which isn't hooked up to an aerial.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do turn up on your doorstep, make sure that you sign absolutely nothing - they rely very heavily on people self-incriminating themselves, and receive bonus payments on the number of people convicted, which can encourage less than honest behavior.

If they turn up, simply close the door. Alternatively start filming them on your mobile - they cannot get away quick enough!
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    I'm actually quite surprised we have so many people on this forum who own a TV, which isn't hooked up to an aerial.

I only really watch soaps and documentaries so there's no real point in having a telly hooked up. I just use iplayer or listen to the radio. The TV in the spare room for gaming has barely been used since I got it last year (just an old second hand bulky one anyway). I had telly in my hotel a few weeks ago and there was nowt I wanted to watch. Don't miss it much tbh.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am i, I don't get it .. Sure it's an outdated tax but I love to put the news on whilst getting ready for work etc... Life Dosent revolve around Netflix....

It's £145.. Not a fortune but still a hassle.. Having said that, I would sooner pay it and enjoy jay burley or Trevor McDonald in peace...
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    Perhaps because people now, in the 21st century, can find their own entertainment with all the various online services.

That's how I get my entertainment. My laptop is hooked up via HDMI and I choose what things I wish to use my TV for.

Not really a surprise, more that people perhaps can't stand the endless reality/Zcelebrity/cookme type dross on so much.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Perhaps because people now, in the 21st century, can find their own entertainment with all the various online services.

That's how I get my entertainment. My laptop is hooked up via HDMI and I choose what things I wish to use my TV for.

Not really a surprise, more that people perhaps can't stand the endless reality/Zcelebrity/cookme type dross on so much.

Of im being honest and I'm only saying what's one my mind... I find evading a simple tax like the TV l a bit sad really.... Ok you can watch films etc on Netflix.... But what if you have company, a female for instance ... "Can we watch Corrie?? " or there is a good movie on...

No sorry I don't pay the TV licence...

Ok right
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    :) So ignore the top level sport that includes not just premier league football, but cricket, more cycling than you can watch in an evening, music programmes, unexpected stuff that pops up on the minor channels, comedy (including Dannies Baker & Kelly), lots of news and y'know what, wallpaper? Some of us find the trivial matter of £145 out of a whole year's income not worth arguing over or getting into silly arguments about a private company engaged to implement it, and manage to avoid the barrel-scraping dross that you listed without making much effort about it.

Oh no - it's a tv livence thread... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    :) So ignore the top level sport that includes not just premier league football, but cricket, more cycling than you can watch in an evening, music programmes, unexpected stuff that pops up on the minor channels, comedy (including Dannies Baker & Kelly), lots of news and y'know what, wallpaper? Some of us find the trivial matter of £145 out of a whole year's income not worth arguing over or getting into silly arguments about a private company engaged to implement it, and manage to avoid the barrel-scraping dross that you listed without making much effort about it.

Oh no - it's a tv livence thread... :)
    And the same old argument will arise. If I don't want to watch any of it, why would I pay £145?

I chose not to therefore I don't pay. Pretty simple really. :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    To stop them coming over, just send a letter to the head office for tvlicensing. I did and they sent a reply saying they will never come over.
    The Legal Occupier
    Rest of your address

To whom it may concern,

I do not require a television licence, as I do not receive or record live television broadcasts.

Your employees, and agents acting on your behalf, may not call at my address.

This letter provides you with prior written warning that such a visit will constitute trespass and harassment, and that I am withdrawing the implied right of access to my property from your organization.

Please note that I am under no obligation to provide you with any of my details, including my name, and that since I am the legal occupier of this property I am entitled to withdraw your implied right of access.

This fact was confirmed by the BBC in June 2009 in response to FOI request RFI20090807. This response states that "TV Licensing does not legally require the name of an individual to action such a request".

Yours sincerely,

The Legal Occupier.

This is within your legal rights. It's called a Removal of Implied Rights of Access.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the same old argument will arise. If I don't want to watch any of it, why would I pay £145?

I chose not to therefore I don't pay. Pretty simple really. :kitty:
    Derrr. If you don't watch any of it disconnect the satellite / aeriel leads and opt out then. Sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Derrr. If you don't watch any of it disconnect the satellite / aeriel leads and opt out then. Sorted.
    Derrr read my post. I already do not pay for TVL. derr I have not had a TVL for years derr.
    Seriously, stop acting like a 10 year old. ^_^

To quote myself...
    "I chose not to therefore I don't pay. Pretty simple really"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :) you asked 'why should I pay?'