Doctor Who Series 8- Time for a new male companion?

13»

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't see Clara being around for long. Just a hunch I have.

Agreed. Nothing against Jenna but I wouldn't mind a mid season shocker!
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how much they want to change the show after the 50th celebrations.
    Maybe she just won't be able to cope with the doctors new face and personality.
    Especially if he is a meaner darker doctor then 11. Hopefully series 8 will be a straight run of 12 episodes Sept to Nov 2014 plus a christmas special. Meaning if she does leave a mid or end season exit would probably happen. Guess we will just have to listen for any rumours or gossip once filming starts.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what lame title moffatt will assign to his next creation. We've had the girl who waited, the last centurion, the impossible girl.... Answers on a postcard please!!!
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Wonder what lame title moffatt will assign to his next creation. We've had the girl who waited, the last centurion, the impossible girl.... Answers on a postcard please!!!

The Guy who Groveled! :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    The Guy who Groveled! :D

How about The ******* omni-shambles?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't see Clara being around for long. Just a hunch I have.

I think she'll leave at the end of Series 8 and that we'll have a recurring male companion in the series for at least half the episodes.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Bring a younger guy in (well - in his late twenties, early thirties) and slightly take Clara out of it.....and bring another new girl into it later - but keep the NEW guy as a constant companion for a while (for a change!!!) The male companion was never a problem in the past!
    I blame Jon Pertwee for the constant female companion! (dirty old man!)
    Forum Member
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring a younger guy in (well - in his late twenties, early thirties) and slightly take Clara out of it.....and bring another new girl into it later - but keep the NEW guy as a constant companion for a while (for a change!!!) The male companion was never a problem in the past!
    I blame Jon Pertwee for the constant female companion! (dirty old man!)
    Yeah, cos with every other BBC fantasy/genre show reducing female characters to occasional supporting roles, we need Doctor Who to follow that trend too don't we?

And no, the male companion wasn't a problem. But nor was there ever only a male companion (expect briefly inbetween stories, as with Steven, Jamie and Turlough).
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Yeah, cos with every other BBC fantasy/genre show reducing female characters to occasional supporting roles, we need Doctor Who to follow that trend too don't we?

And no, the male companion wasn't a problem. But nor was there ever only a male companion (expect briefly inbetween stories, as with Steven, Jamie and Turlough).

Having a male companion would not reduce the female companion to a bit part.

Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, River and Clara have gotten more screentime during Series 1-7 than Mickey, Jack, Wilfred and Rory did.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Having a male companion would not reduce the female companion to a bit part.
    I was responding specifically to Face_Of_Jack's suggestion to bring in a guy and 'slightly take Clara out of it'.

At the end of the day, there's already a role in the show for a male character (the lead role, at that!) Given that the companion is always going to be a supporting role from the outset I don't get why there's a desire from some have another male presence and turn the only female presence on the show into a co-supporting role?

Besides, we've had the male/female combo a few times now. How come nobody's suggesting have two female companions (as permanent companions; not a recurring River type character)?