Options

Saturday Night Live

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I may well be the only one who still watches it regularly to be fair :)

I've been reading about the cast departures over the last few days and they're losing a lot of people. Brooks Whelan, John Milhiser and Noël Wells all gone with Mike O'Brien's future apparently up in the air. Seems unfair they've only been given a year because i thought they were all pretty decent.

Nasim Pedrad is also leaving so 4, potentially 5, cast members going is a lot to replace.

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been reading about the cast departures over the last few days and they're losing a lot of people. Brooks Whelan, John Milhiser and Noël Wells all gone with Mike O'Brien's future apparently up in the air. Seems unfair they've only been given a year because i thought they were all pretty decent.

Nasim Pedrad is also leaving so 4, potentially 5, cast members going is a lot to replace.

I still watch it regular (needs to be on UK TV though)

It is a shame as a few of them were alright, although generally this year was the poorest cast in a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney have potential to get even better, to be fair.

But then considering some of the sketches the others had, I must confess I wasn't massively surprised to hear they'd been let go.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not funny in the 70s, probably still not funny now. Why it's still on the air is a mystery.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Not funny in the 70s, probably still not funny now. Why it's still on the air is a mystery.

Keyword there being probably, you haven't watched the later series, also that's your opinion, I quite like it and I find a few of the skits funny, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could do with not replacing them at all. I was in the States earlier this year and was astonished by the size of the cast of SNL. It seemed to take Don Pardo about ten minutes to rattle through them all at the start of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

I'd maybe suggest you watch an episode from the last year or two rather than 30 odd years ago, but i have a sneaking suspicion you'll have already decided it'll be shit :)
    They could do with not replacing them at all. I was in the States earlier this year and was astonished by the size of the cast of SNL. It seemed to take Don Pardo about ten minutes to rattle through them all at the start of the show.

It does take ages, i do agree. My BluRay player does have a handy skip function though so i can usually nick through the titles fairly quickly.

Was watching this sketch again last night - easily one of my favourites from the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkbiJYU4CNI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone saw last night's show with Chris Rock but it was a bit of a disaster. A lot of the sketches tanked and Leslie Jones messed up badly in one of them by either forgetting her lines, her cue or both.

His opening monologue was good though - it took the crowd a bit of time to work it out, but i liked it.

Prince was amazing though.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if anyone saw last night's show with Chris Rock but it was a bit of a disaster. A lot of the sketches tanked and Leslie Jones messed up badly in one of them by either forgetting her lines, her cue or both.

His opening monologue was good though - it took the crowd a bit of time to work it out, but i liked it.

Prince was amazing though.

I was in New York over the weekend (in fact I went to a taping of The Tonight Show last week) and Chris Rock’s monologue caused a bit of controversy. I didn’t see it all but I get the impression it was people just being a bit too over sensitive though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I was in New York over the weekend (in fact I went to a taping of The Tonight Show last week) and Chris Rock’s monologue caused a bit of controversy. I didn’t see it all but I get the impression it was people just being a bit too over sensitive though.

I think part of the problem is that the SNL audience are generally spoon fed "safe" humour and Rock's monologue was far from that - i wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it himself.

But you're right, I think people were just over sensitive because it was about 9/11 but without actually being about 9/11. I guess the "isis" sketch just pushed them over the edge!
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the problem is that the SNL audience are generally spoon fed "safe" humour and Rock's monologue was far from that - i wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it himself.

But you're right, I think people were just over sensitive because it was about 9/11 but without actually being about 9/11. I guess the "isis" sketch just pushed them over the edge!

Oh yeah, thats right, the other bit that caused a bit of a stir was the ISIS Shark Tank sketch. But that was on Fox News though, who love to over react. :D
  • Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Anyone looking forward to tonight's show, its 3.5 hours long and lots of guests are turning up. I hope it's good :D
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40 years old and still can't find its way on to UK TV.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    40 years old and still can't find its way on to UK TV.

It has been on in the past, ITV4 showed it a few years ago and Sky Arts repeated the 70's episodes recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Anyone looking forward to tonight's show, its 3.5 hours long and lots of guests are turning up. I hope it's good :D

I liked it. I think they paced it as well as can be expected considering the running time. Always good to see the Californians sketch as well :)

The biggest letdown was Eddie Murphy's appearance. All the hype surrounding his return after 30 odd years and he's on stage for around 60 seconds and subsequently messes up throwing to commercials as well.
    dodrade wrote: »
    It has been on in the past, ITV4 showed it a few years ago and Sky Arts repeated the 70's episodes recently.

ITV showed the episodes weeks after they'd aired so a lot of the topical stuff didn't really make a lot of sense. They'd need to show it as soon as possible after the US airing for it to even stand a chance.

I'd like to see a channel take a chance on it again personally. Show it on Sunday nights after each new episode and see how it does - maybe on Dave ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic anniversary show!

Some highlights for me were: Martin Short & 'Beyonce', Bill Murray's 'Jaws' love song, the Samberg/Sandler song, Wayne's World and Paul Simon's sublime 'Still Crazy ...'
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably be watching the anniversary show tonight. I love SNL but the newer ones aren't as good as when Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Kenan, Jason Sudeikis etc were on it. Really like Jay Pharoah. Don't particularly like any of the others now...
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Atlantic would be a good channel for it although as a virgin cable customer I hope for another one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So was the ISIS sketch really that bad then ?

I thought it was quite funny personally.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So was the ISIS sketch really that bad then ?

I thought it was quite funny personally.
    The fact they mocked the Toyota ad by replacing the US army with ISIS for me implies they're much the same in the sketchwriter's eyes. The comments are fairly positive on youtube though w/ most getting the impression that it was mocking ISIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2fazw5Y9k
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up for those who do watch this, watch out for Louis CK's monologue as its absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good episode overall, although Leslie Jones messed up .. again.

Don't know how long this will last, but this is his monologue

https://youtu.be/KctO7S62ZfY
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jason, I'll give it a go.
    I've not really enjoyed any of the post season 39 episodes other than Kevin Hart tbh. I miss Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig and Kenan too much :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Thanks Jason, I'll give it a go.
    I've not really enjoyed any of the post season 39 episodes other than Kevin Hart tbh. I miss Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig and Kenan too much :(

Kenan is still in it :)

But I do agree about the others, they were a big loss. Fred Armisen as well.

There have been a few good episodes this season - Bill Hader's one, as well as Chris Rock's one as well (apart from that Leslie Jones screw-up :)). Taraji P. Henson's episode was probably the best one as she really got in to the spirit of it and had some good material as well.

Update definitely needs an overhaul though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who watch the show, they've announced the first 3 hosts for the new season.

Miley Cyrus hosts on October the 3rd
    Amy Schumer on October the 10th
    Tracey Morgan on October the 17th

Wasn't really a fan of the last time Cyrus hosted, but really looking forward to Amy Schumer and Tracey Morgan though.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a channel take a chance on it again personally. Show it on Sunday nights after each new episode and see how it does - maybe on Dave ?

I just don't think it would work. As we've seen, time and time again, these late night US comedy shows always go down like a cup of cold sick in the UK. I don't know why - but they just don't succeed. Letterman didn't work. Conan didn't work. Jon Stewart didn't work. Stephen Colbert didn't work.

I know SNL is a slightly different animal - but I just think it would share the same fate. I'd be glad if someone gave it a try - but the poor ratings would lead to inevitable cancellation.