Options

Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I would think it was time people lay off the DJ's as well. They seem to have been laid off their work, and are in the receiving end of massive hate campaign. They might have received the punishment they deserved for this, we don't want more people to commit suicides, do we?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244732/Jacintha-Saldanha-death-Australian-DJs-Mel-Greig-Christian-Michael-taken-air-sick-prank.html
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    They are not lying, they felt bad for their staff who'd been duped.

And how do you know that? Two nurses breach the confidentiality agreement, making incredible damages to reputation of a private hospital. And they felt bad for them? That would be a first.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cal Me AL wrote: »
    Here are its gory details:
    Sandilands' lie detector stunt caused an outcry after the girl was strapped to a polygraph machine and quizzed by her mother about whether she was sexually active.

2Day FM has since taken The Kyle and Jackie O Show off air and Sandilands has been sacked from his role as a judge on the hit Network Ten reality talent show Australian Idol.

The mother volunteered to quiz her daughter, now aged 14, despite apparently already knowing she had been assaulted.

"I've already told you the story about this, and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny," said the girl. "Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old."

Sandilands, who presented the show with Jackie O'Neil, was accused of further insensitivity when he asked: "Right, and is that the only sexual experience you've had?"

O'Neil then stepped in to end the interview and she and Sandilands apologised on air, saying they did not know the girl had been raped

Holy f*cking shit! :eek: I literally have no words for that.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Where was I blaming Kate? I just said, she's just not worth all the fuss.
    It was an incredibly silly prank, it's amazing it worked, it's not something extremely elaborate,it would be incredibly far fetched for them to predict someone would take their own life because of it.

Are you saying the hospital did not open any sort of investigation related to this incident? And that the nurses wouldn't be called in relation to this? Of course they were reprimanded, it's too soon for an official reprimand, but be sure that they were made aware that what they did was extremely serious and may have consequences. My cousin is a nurse in a big private hospital, and the first thing she said was that this nurses would be fired, they would be disciplined, and no way in hell they would keep their job.

Those were my thoughts too, your last sentence.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I feel sad for this ladys family I don't see how the DJs can be blamed for her death. It was a silly prank that in all honesty wouldnt of happened if the hospital had a procedure in place when someone calls to talk about a patient.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,019
    Forum Member
    I would think it was time people lay off the DJ's as well. They seem to have been laid off their work, and are in the receiving end of massive hate campaign. They might have received the punishment they deserved for this, we don't want more people to commit suicides, do we?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244732/Jacintha-Saldanha-death-Australian-DJs-Mel-Greig-Christian-Michael-taken-air-sick-prank.html

Did you see the male DJ's tweets after they said sorry? I'd say he is a nasty piece of work.

He phoned a newly pregnant woman who was ill in hospital 'for a joke'. :rolleyes:

Have no pity for either of them, think what is going to now be in the minds of Kate & William over the next 9 months every time they go to that hospital.

The radio station has probably consulted risk management and been advised to say the right things, let the dust settle, and the two DJ's go back to continue where they left off.

The radio station should have sacked the pair, the producer and whoever else sanctioned the call to the Hospital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whilst I feel sad for this ladys family I don't see how the DJs can be blamed for her death. It was a silly prank that in all honesty wouldnt of happened if the hospital had a procedure in place when someone calls to talk about a patient.

The DJ's placed the call end of story, let's stop making excuses for THEIR mistake.

Look at the tasteless, unthinking nonsense that has been on this thread about the nurse who committed suicide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It also wouldn't have happened if a pair of supposed professionals showed a grain of common decency and respect.

Pranking a hospital and we're supposed to see this as just a bit of fun? What next, pranking the emergency hotline for shits and giggles? There are limits that common sense should tell us not to cross. Making phoney calls to a hospital is one. Trying to trick someone into handing out private information is another. I'd also put "putting someone in a positions where the could potentially lose their job" as another.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree completely that two wrongs don't make a right and the two of them are probably going through hell at the moment.

They did set themselves up for a lot of this though by positively gloating for the last few days and seemingly relishing the worldwide publicity....they did appear way too pleased with themselves
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first heard about the prank I just thought "big deal, another prank like so many before it, hardly anything new". Not exactly original, it's all been done before. If anything I was just surprised there weren't better security procedures and the prank actually worked.

But if I were to change my mind now, after this tragedy, I would have to be a hypocrite - having thought it was harmless fun before. So, no, I wouldn't be calling for the DJ's heads on a chopping block like the vengeful mob. In that case you might as well call Jeremy Beadle a potential mass murderer, or Dom Joly, or countless other jokers.

It's terrible that the victim couldn't handle it. but let's not over-react.
  • Options
    fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beanybun wrote: »
    Quite; I assume those who are so quick to damn the dj's concerned for their (admittedly unfunny prank) would extend this approach to phonejacker? Or numerous other tv shows? What about the guy who died on Noel Edmonds house party?

There is nothing new about prank calls or Inadvisable stunts of one sort or another. The point is the outcome was so remote as to be unidentifiable at the time, so less culpability than Noel Edmonds, in my view. Do we all refuse to watch deal or no deal thanks to this?

And how many people on this forum have ordered a pizza to a hated neighbour or teacher, or played what with hindsight can now be seen to be a cruel prank on a schoolmate or friend?

Tragic of course, but also rather weird. Clearly, there was more going on in this unfortunate lady's life than we know about.

I'm guessing that all those that enjoy these kind of hoax calls, don't want to consider that not all those (if any??) on the receiving end will be in raptures of laughter, they generally have an undercurrent of spite and humiliation in order to get the 'laughs'.
    I don't think as an adult that hindsight would be needed to know that....and I also don't think that it would take a genius to work out that a possible and probable outcome would be that staff may well have been disciplined and jobs lost, a pretty devastating outcome for most.
    I think there are plenty of people who would rather not get their laughs at the expense and distress of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Agree completely that two wrongs don't make a right and the two of them are probably going through hell at the moment.

They did set themselves up for a lot of this though by positively gloating for the last few days and seemingly relishing the worldwide publicity....they did appear way too pleased with themselves

Not anymore I hope. I read their boss sanctioned the call. Is he getting any vitriol?
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Not anymore I hope. I read their boss sanctioned the call. Is he getting any vitriol?

You'd have to think the entire chain of command is in serious trouble over this. Someone dying as a result of a prank phone call from a radio station is quite unprecedented (and is already generating headlines all around the world).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    It also wouldn't have happened if a pair of supposed professionals showed a grain of common decency and respect.

Pranking a hospital and we're supposed to see this as just a bit of fun? What next, pranking the emergency hotline for shits and giggles? There are limits that common sense should tell us not to cross. Making phoney calls to a hospital is one. Trying to trick someone into handing out private information is another. I'd also put "putting someone in a positions where the could potentially lose their job" as another.

DJs have been doing prank calls for years... It's nothing new... I don't believe for one second they thought they would get through to the ward or get such personal information and they shouldn't of. But do you want them to be crucified because this lady has committed suicide. One death is tragic ... Let's not have a witch hunt on the two DJs ... who's to say one of them if pushed to much wouldn't do the same.. How would you feel then
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cause and Effect - everything we do has consequences and people who play pranks have to accept that things can backfire.

I'm sure they are full of remorse now. But at the very least, the prank could have cost two nurses their jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not just someone, it was supposedly the Queen.In all honesty would the Queen call the hospital at 5.30am?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJs have been doing prank calls for years... It's nothing new... I don't believe for one second they thought they would get through to the ward or get such personal information and they shouldn't of. But do you want them to be crucified because this lady has committed suicide. One death is tragic ... Let's not have a witch hunt on the two DJs ... who's to say one of them if pushed to much wouldn't do the same.. How would you feel then

How long before one of them sells their story I wonder.?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Anyone who actually listened to the call could tell it wasn't the Queen. Christ, common sense told you that the Queen wouldn't ring up at random.

I'm astonished that we're taking this so lightly and castigating the Aussies for this. That we have nurses - supposed healthcare professionals - that will readily give out personal details of a member of the Royal Family without even a hint of a check as to who they are is frankly appalling. I'm sure had they been challenged just once the call would have ended.

That said, we now have a nurse who is highly likely to have committed suicide. But at this time, we don't know why. It's almost certain this was a contributing factor. But we know nothing else about her a this time. To jump to the conclusion that this, and solely this, is dangerous.

No-one comes out if this well, on any level. But one thing that would make this slightly better is to take some breathing space and not jump to knee jerk reactions without considering all the facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Not just someone, it was supposedly the Queen.In all honesty would the Queen call the hospital at 5.30am?

I would of thought the queen wouldn't be out of bed at 5.30am for a start and secondly .. She has Kate's mobile number I'm sure.. So she would of contacted her directly if she wanted to talk to her
    Fredster I would hope they never sell their story.. IMO that wouldn't be right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    And how do you know that? Two nurses breach the confidentiality agreement, making incredible damages to reputation of a private hospital. And they felt bad for them? That would be a first.

Clearly I know a sight more than you do.

You obvisously didn't hear or chose to ignore the hospital's statement regarding the original hoax.

Your opinion is a reflection of your attitude rather than that of the hosptal's management.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cause and Effect - everything we do has consequences and people who play pranks have to accept that things can backfire.

I'm sure they are full of remorse now. But at the very least, the prank could have cost two nurses their jobs.

Thats what i thought when i first heard about the prank, I thought "Poor nurses might lose their jobs now" :(
    But i didn't see this one coming.

I think their actions have had an indirect effect on the outcome of the nurses life.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    446.09375 wrote: »
    When I first heard about the prank I just thought "big deal, another prank like so many before it, hardly anything new". Not exactly original, it's all been done before. If anything I was just surprised there weren't better security procedures and the prank actually worked.

But if I were to change my mind now, after this tragedy, I would have to be a hypocrite - having thought it was harmless fun before. So, no, I wouldn't be calling for the DJ's heads on a chopping block like the vengeful mob. In that case you might as well call Jeremy Beadle a potential mass murderer, or Dom Joly, or countless other jokers.

It's terrible that the victim couldn't handle it. but let's not over-react.

Jeremy Beadle used to e.g. trick people into thinking their car had been crushed and Dom Joly walks around with a big mobile phone shouting. Without being too po-faced how exactly is calling a hospital where a pregnant woman is laid up ill "harmless fun"? It is capable of causing more stress to someone who is unwell and who is in an early stage of pregnancy when all kinds of things can happen.

Plus as many people have said it is obvious someone can be disciplined or lose their job if the prank succeeds. A nurse is not a casual role, it's a job people train for and study for and there is a danger of not being able to work in that profession you have worked hard for if there is any suggestion of misconduct. Plus in the medical profession reputation will be extremely important. This woman did not put herself in a position where she was a valid target for this kind of stunt.

People are going too far the other way trying to say what the DJs did was fine. The consequences are extreme but the original prank was out of order.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If they didn't think they'd get through, then there was no point to the prank.

For a 'laugh' they chose to a newly pregnant woman who was ill in hospital....they don't deserve your sympathy.

What next dial 999 and see if the emergency services respond to a false alarm?

Having seen the station's website earlier and the DJ's tweets they were living off the publicity.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodk79 wrote: »
    Anyone who actually listened to the call could tell it wasn't the Queen. Christ, common sense told you that the Queen wouldn't ring up at random.

I'm astonished that we're taking this so lightly and castigating the Aussies for this. That we have nurses - supposed healthcare professionals - that will readily give out personal details of a member of the Royal Family without even a hint of a check as to who they are is frankly appalling. I'm sure had they been challenged just once the call would have ended.

That said, we now have a nurse who is highly likely to have committed suicide. But at this time, we don't know why. It's almost certain this was a contributing factor. But we know nothing else about her a this time. To jump to the conclusion that this, and solely this, is dangerous.

No-one comes out if this well, on any level. But one thing that would make this slightly better is to take some breathing space and not jump to knee jerk reactions without considering all the facts.

I agree the hospital procedures seem questionable. But whilst they were wrong the DJs were being deceitful in the first place. Not having good procedures at the hospital doesn't get the DJs off the hook.

I agree let's wait and see what all the facts are but to be honest the ones I have seen jumping to conclusions on this thread are those who have said: there MUST have been something else going on in her life to make her do this. It seems incomprehensible to people that a serious knock at work could either cause this or push someone over the edge when added to other factors and that without this act the same consequence may not have been an inevitability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJs have been doing prank calls for years... It's nothing new... I don't believe for one second they thought they would get through to the ward or get such personal information and they shouldn't of.

That's just ignoring everything I said. They prank called a hospital. Like I said, if they prank-called 999 would you dismiss that as "DJs just doing what they've always done?"

Its not about a generic prank call. Its about using a bit of common sense and seeing that there really isn't any way that prank calling a hospital is going to turn out well.
    But do you want them to be crucified because this lady has committed suicide. One death is tragic ... Let's not have a witch hunt on the two DJs ... who's to say one of them if pushed to much wouldn't do the same.. How would you feel then

Crucified? Witch-hunt? Good way to try and make this something its not. Did I say they should be strung up for this? No - simply that they are responsible for the consequences of their own actions and if they had any common sense or decency, this would never have happened.