Options

Problems with Thompson DTI 6300 250gb.

JoeantboyJoeantboy Posts: 69
Forum Member
I have a Thomson DTI 6300 running on the latest software and using the Freeview+ EPG. The hard drive is currently around 70% full.

For a few weeks now the box freezes whilst whilst watching live TV and I'm having problems recording. Sometimes the programme will seemingly record in that the Red LED is displayed although when I view the library l have a message to tell me the recording has failed. Occasionally when this occurs the RED LED will remain illuminated long after the recording has finished making it necessary to reboot the box by disconnecting the power and corrupting the recording anyway.

Other times a programme may part record missing either the beginning or the end.

I have found through trial and error I'm more likely to get a successful recording when the box is left in standby and scheduled recordings are not broadcast back to back or overlap. I have also found that a majority of the recordings that fail are on the BBC channels.

Is it time to replace my box? I've had it a little over 3 years.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joeantboy wrote: »
    Is it time to replace my box? I've had it a little over 3 years.

Get the capacitors in the power supply changed, that will fix it. It's only usually 2 that need swapping (soldering required) in those boxes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get the capacitors in the power supply changed, that will fix it. It's only usually 2 that need swapping (soldering required) in those boxes

Thank you for the response however as I'm not that technically minded is this an easy task to perform by myself? Where do I buy capacitors and are they expensive?

Is it worth getting an expert such as a TV repair engineer to do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't post a direct link, but the website you need is called Satcure - the kit is RELKIT33m It's £1.15 plus postage, they supply the 2 most common capacitors that fail and cause problems.

If you have no soldering experience then getting a TV engineer to do it would be a good idea, it's a fairly simple job
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't post a direct link ...
    Well if you won't, I will!
    If you have no soldering experience then getting a TV engineer to do it would be a good idea, it's a fairly simple job

Agreed, if you know what you are doing it is an easy job, but you can muck things up big time if you get it wrong. I would recommend purchasing the kit then taking it and the Thomson to a local TV repair guy and ask him to fit it. It is almost certainly worth repairing as other than the hard disk (which is even easier to replace) there is not much else in these units to fail. Thomson had a history of using less than ideal capacitors in their power supplies, which is a shame as you can see how cheap the much better quality replacements that Satcure sell are. These caps from Satcure are also higher rated than the originals so will almost certainly never fail again. While the repairman has your unit in bits ask him to clean out the cooling fan (anyone worth his salt would do so anyway).

Should you or your repair man need them, instructions for opening up the case are here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »

Fair enough! I didn't think you were allowed to post links, that's the only reason I didn't
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough! I didn't think you were allowed to post links, that's the only reason I didn't

The DS forum rules state that you are not allowed to post links to your own businesses or services. So Martin Pickering (owner of Satcure) could not post the link on here, but you and I as happy Satcure customers can!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks people, I've ordered the replacement kit and my brother say's he will be able to complete the Soldering. I'll let you know how I get on.