Football trivia queries

Comments

• bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there ever been (or when was the last time) one or both sides didn't use any substitutes in a Premier League game?
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two serious questions and one not so serious one:

Serious question 1 - The starting line-up for Manchester City's squad numbers add up to 447. Is this the highest for a game with two English clubs, or has there been higher?

Serious question 2 - One of Man City's players is wearing number 76. Has anybody played for an English club with a higher number (I've seen 99 in European games)?

Not so serious question - Has anybody ever been sent off for a second bookable offense, both of which were for dissent, and the second one being in response to the first one?

(PS - I don't know the answers to any of these. I'm just wondering if anybody does.)
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Two serious questions and one not so serious one:

Serious question 1 - The starting line-up for Manchester City's squad numbers add up to 447. Is this the highest for a game with two English clubs, or has there been higher?

Serious question 2 - One of Man City's players is wearing number 76. Has anybody played for an English club with a higher number (I've seen 99 in European games)?

Not so serious question - Has anybody ever been sent off for a second bookable offense, both of which were for dissent, and the second one being in response to the first one?

(PS - I don't know the answers to any of these. I'm just wondering if anybody does.)

Ameobi versus Liverpool got 2 bookings for dissent in the same incident and was sent off.

I'm sure I've seen a number 77 but I don't recall who. Reserve goalkeepers are a good source of high numbers.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    1966 is a famous year for English football but here's a question that stumped me.

Football: Which team won the English first division title in 1966?

Follow up question: Additionally, which team won the FA Cup?

I guessed Spurs for both.
    Do you know off the top of your head? No cheating now :D
    I do know who won the League cup that year and they still hold the record for most goals in the final.
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Is it Hartlepool FC

used to be Hartlepools FC

I still call them Hartlepools.......:D
    You are Jeff Stelling and I claim my £10 ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And a Number 77 has just come on for City!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I do know who won the League cup that year and they still hold the record for most goals in the final

It was over two legs though so not much of a record?
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what record the Sunderland v Aston Villa 2 legged league cup semi final set in 1963? Clue: a century is involved.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Does anybody know what record the Sunderland v Aston Villa 2 legged league cup semi final set in 1963? Clue: a century is involved.

The longest gap between the two legs (100 days, caused by that year's winter)?
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many players called Jones have played for Wales mens team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    How many players called Jones have played for Wales mens team
    Is it none, or perhaps two, the Jones boys?
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it none, or perhaps two, the Jones boys?
    lol I made it 54, possibly the most famous recently being Vinnie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, Ross County passed Rangers on their way down and thus never got to play at Ibrox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Name a Premier League player whose full name scores 70 at Scrabble at face value...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, Ross County passed Rangers on their way down and thus never got to play at Ibrox.

Ah, I was thinking along the right lines at least.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Name a Premier League player whose full name scores 70 at Scrabble at face value...

Initial thought was Xherdan Shaqiri but not enough, surely must be Wojciech Tomasz Szczesny (although I did have to Google the spelling and discovered his middle name by accident!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Initial thought was Xherdan Shaqiri but not enough, surely must be Wojciech Tomasz Szczesny (although I did have to Google the spelling and discovered his middle name by accident!)

That's even higher than 70, scoring 73! The player I have in mind is English, which will surprise many.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    That's even higher than 70, scoring 73! The player I have in mind is English, which will surprise many.

Then I'm a bit stuck, does it score highly due to a little known middle name or three?
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to look up his full name - Alexander Mark David Oxlade-Chamberlain?
    Forum Member
    Sattrega wrote: »

Yep, I make that 70
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking up names shouldnt be allowed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Looking up names shouldnt be allowed!

Extenuating circumstances. :p
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extenuating circumstances. :p

I'll allow it this time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct. I don't mind you looking it up as not many will have known his full name to be fair! :)
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there many examples in a league match where the away support outnumbered the home fans?

It could happen at Blackpool this week with Bradford taking 3,000 fans and many Blackpool season ticket holders (although they will be counted in the official gate by the Oyston's) boycotting home matches in protest.

Any other examples?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Are there many examples in a league match where the away support outnumbered the home fans?

It could happen at Blackpool this week with Bradford taking 3,000 fans and many Blackpool season ticket holders (although they will be counted in the official gate by the Oyston's) boycotting home matches in protest.

Any other examples?

In Scotland it must happen most weeks when Celtic and Rangers play away, surely?

In England I remember when Wimbledon played at Selhurst Park. Sometimes when Palace were away I'd go watch them and on many occasions the away fans outnumbered the home fans especially when they played the likes of Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc...