Man United Supporters Thread (Part 50)

Comments

• Stilton CheesewStilton Cheesew Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Am I the only one here underwhelmed by the Zlatan signing?
    I fear paying a fortune in wages for someone just looking for his last pay day, strutting around and not being a team player.

I really hope I'm wrong though

If that was the case he would currently be being unveiled in China on 4 times the money he is getting in Manchester. He is in the PL for the challenge, there is no question about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Falcao a risk free gamble? Hadn't he been injured for a year, or something, with a bad knee injury? He was obviously not the player he was, after that. As United found out. Course, having Van Gaal as a manager was never a plus if you're not one of this favourites. Van Gaal got rid of all Rooney's competition so he could play him every second of every game, so Falcao just joined RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez and whoever else it was he sold for that reason.

He was one of the deadliest strikers in the world before the injury. Getting him for a loan fee plus wages and being able to hand him back if he was broken was an excellent deal because at that point he could equally have found his old form and suddenly you a world class player on your hands. You get to find out at the fraction of the cost with an option to buy if it goes well. Excellent deal.

Also those strikers sold really weren't up to the job at the point of sale. Hernandez has done well but the others haven't proved anyone wrong.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Falcao a risk free gamble? Hadn't he been injured for a year, or something, with a bad knee injury? He was obviously not the player he was, after that. As United found out. Course, having Van Gaal as a manager was never a plus if you're not one of this favourites. Van Gaal got rid of all Rooney's competition so he could play him every second of every game, so Falcao just joined RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez and whoever else it was he sold for that reason.

What I meant was there was no real pressure on him working out, as he was never signed to be leading the attack. Whereas Zlatan will surely be a key part of our attack next season.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ibra will be our main striker, as I can't really see José favouring Rashford over him, and presumably Martial will be a wide player cutting in once again?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    BIB - That is a euphemism for kicking backsides.........Enjoyed your presence there. ;-)

Thank you!
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Am I the only one here underwhelmed by the Zlatan signing?
    I fear paying a fortune in wages for someone just looking for his last pay day, strutting around and not being a team player.

I really hope I'm wrong though

I now believe he should (just about) do a job for us. The other signings that Jose is making and has already made however, will more than compensate for any potential problems that Zlatan brings. Pogba rumours gaining strength now and Mickywhatisname looks a done deal. One more defensive middy and perhaps another striker/winger and we'll be well sorted.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was the case he would currently be being unveiled in China on 4 times the money he is getting in Manchester. He is in the PL for the challenge, there is no question about that.

That's a fair point but I think the chance to work with Mourinho again was the main draw, otherwise he would be in China next season. Hope it works but I'm not 100% convinced yet.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    That's a fair point but I think the chance to work with Mourinho again was the main draw, otherwise he would be in China next season. Hope it works but I'm not 100% convinced yet.

I don't think you've anything to worry about to be honest . Ibra has just had a great season and he's never had any pace to lose so that's not a concern .

I can't see him being anything other than fabulous , I'd like to se him stay for two years and get to see him every week and hopefully he'll change a lot of people's opinion of him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him being just as important and effective as Cantona was when he arrived .

I believe that the title is a definite possibility if you build the play around him and the youngsters will learn so much from him as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like from their end it is a done deal! :-

https://twitter.com/BVB/status/749205145725075456?s=09

Although they do seem a tad bitter about him leaving them:-

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/749206996713369600?s=09
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the arrivals this week, I'm fully expecting the club to start charging "by the letter" for players' replica shirts in the megastore now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Given the arrivals this week, I'm fully expecting the club to start charging "by the letter" for players' replica shirts in the megastore now.

Thank God then, that ex-Celtic player Jan Venagoor of Hessalink has retired!
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now he can finally get his managerial career going which is what he should of done years ago instead of waiting for something that was never gonna happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Now he can finally get his managerial career going which is what he should of done years ago instead of waiting for something that was never gonna happen.

I wonder where he will end up?

Of course he still has the Salford ownership to tide him over work wise, until someone gives him a managerial job, he might have to wait a bit though, as I can't see too many openings at the moment which might be of interest to him currently as things stand, although things can do change pretty quickly!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bye bye Giggsy.

Sad to see him go, but it had to happen one day & I suppose if he has ambitions of management, he has done the right thing.

It's clear that the club don't feel he has the gravitas to manage us, so he needs to go away & prove to the hierarchy that he is worthy.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will find it surprising that he doesn't thank Moyes in his statement.

Found it funny that Herrera accidentally beat United to announcing it on twitter an hour before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will find it surprising that he doesn't thank Moyes in his statement.

Found it funny that Herrera accidentally beat United to announcing it on twitter an hour before.

Nah not really, we are pants at social media, we must be the worst "big club" for that type of thing (not to mention quite how abysmal our website is as well).

We really could do with some sort of overhaul in that department, as we are just so very poor in how we communicate with the fans.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder where he will end up?

Of course he still has the Salford ownership to tide him over work wise, until someone gives him a managerial job, he might have to wait a bit though, as I can't see too many openings at the moment which might be of interest to him currently as things stand, although things can do change pretty quickly!

Not really sure. Whichever club hires him will be taking a huge risk but he has to start somewhere.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member

When the introduction of names on the jerseys took place back in 93/94, they did charge per letter on the shirts, but with people complaining over shirt prices and then adding names by the letter they relented on that.
    Thank God then, that ex-Celtic player Jan Venagoor of Hessalink has retired!

I don't know Borthwick-Jackson is bad enough.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    Giggs leaves and rumours abound already that he didn't want to go, that it was Ed and the owners wanting him gone. Suggestions that Jose wanted him to stay and that Giggs didn't want the managers job this time round either and was prepared to wait till after Jose. Ed refused to speak to him over it.

If any of it is true then it's a sad state of affairs, but I doubt we'll ever hear any of it. Giggs wouldn't put it into a book, he wouldn't want to spoil any chances of a return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone believe absolute rubbish like that??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »

I don't know Borthwick-Jackson is bad enough.

True!

Ahhh for the cheapness of "Ba"!:D
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking the signings so far. An upgrade on Van Gaal's transfer dealings. Hopefully Zlatan can give us a good season or two, it's clear from reading his interview with MUTV that he is not here for a big payday, he's excited about competing in the Premier League and winning more trophies and helping the club to return to the top. Either way, I think a player of his calibre and experience will benefit Martial and Rashford.

Mkhitaryan is an intriguing signing. I've only seen him in a handful of games in all honesty, but his stats look brilliant and everybody seems complimentary about him. So I'm interested to see what the Armenian international brings to the table. I am worried for Mata's future now, but at this point I just want a winning team.

As for future signings - a central midfielder or two, a right winger/forward and maybe another centre-back would give the squad the perfect balance and strength in depth. I'd love us to sign William Carvalho for defensive midfield, he's a beast of a player and I think he would be an upgrade on Schneiderlin.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's kinda sad that the only thing United haters can talk about on twitter after the Germany v Italy penalty shootout is that two United players missed penalties. Really? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penalty practice might be on order for us, seeing as our two players missed in that shoot-out.
This discussion has been closed.