Why do true stories take years to be films?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
Forum Member
Scandal, Buster and Apollo 13 took twenty five years
Mrs Henderson Presents took over sixty years
Champions, Perfect Storm and Calendar Girls were quick

Comments

• 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it possibly due to the individuals who were involved in these real life events. They may have some continued distress and also the public may not be ready to see a film of its nature so soon.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I think it possibly due to the individuals who were involved in these real life events. They may have some continued distress and also the public may not be ready to see a film of its nature so soon.

I would tend to agree - although the creation of Facebook is now a movie. On the other hand I have one (distant) relative who spent 2 years living amongst Chinese bandits and natives in Malaya during WWII that after destroying seven trains, & fifteen bridges - so successful was he that the Japanese sent an entire Division to hunt him down.

That does not include being the first European to cross the Greenland Ice cap since Fridtjof Wedel-Jarlsberg Nansen in 1888. Naturalist on the 1930-31 British Arctic Air-Route Expedition he lead a five-man expedition from Sikkim to the holy mountain Chomolhari, which the British group had passed on the way from Sikkim to Tibet in July 1936. to become the first mountaineers to climb the 7314 m high peak, which they finally reached from the Bhutanese side after finding the route from the Tibetan side impassable. The mountain would not be climbed again until 1970

And Hollywood have yet to make a movie of his life and he died back in 1971.

Maybe if he was American he would have more luck :mad:
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    The sooner the less perspective you have, it is generally a bad idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy64 wrote: »
    Champions

I didn't know The Mighty Ducks was a true story!:D
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »

Generally I'd agree but that isn't always the case. United 93 for example came out pretty quickly.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two true life stories of recent events which I would expect to appear on the big screen within a couple of years (after the lawyers have had their say),are about the girl who was held captive in a basement for eight years,and the trapped Chilean miners.Although they hardly have to make a film of the miners because their plight has probably been covered for every minute that they've been down there.And of cousre it is still ongoing,but as soon as the last man is out,the movie industry will be working at light speed to get their version of events into production.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    The sooner the less perspective you have, it is generally a bad idea.
    And the less distance you've got between you and the subject matter, the less honest you're tempted to be.

Natascha Kampusch is involved with a film of her kidnapping scheduled for 2012. The trouble with her is that she never released the sexual details of her experience the media was hanging on for,
    I very much doubt this subject matter is appropriate for a film, whether it's honest or not.