Options

Can you freeze milk?

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a big bag of milk which has a use by date of Friday on it, can I freeze it as I won't be using it?

If you can, after defrosting, how long can it be stored in the fridge for?

I know this may seem simple to some people but I never normally buy milk so much in bulk.

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes you can freeze milk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    yes! it might last a little bit less when it's defrosted, but not by much in my experience
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup you can freeze milk - I'd store it for the same length of time as I would fresh meat, so a month or so at peak and then indefinately depending on quality going down month on month.

Defrost in the fridge and then once fully defrosted use within the same time as fresh so up to 7 days.

Edit - Pro tip is to get some ice cube bags and only half/quarter fill them to use in tea and coffee
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe milk might separate if it is frozen. If the use-by date is Friday, you could still use it after then for a few days - just check it for smelling and make sure you keep it in the fridge. Why not make milk puddings with it to use it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    A bag of milk?
  • Options
    FatboyfunFatboyfun Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Yes you can, And you can freeze bread as well.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I won't have it, it's my son's milk and I am really strict with the dates with him, so probably wouldn't give it to him on Thursday even.

I am not in the UK and buy bags, but I brought it on the 29th March so has lasted for over 2 and a half weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often freeze semi-skimmed milk, just shake it to mix well once it's defrosted, to ensure the water and milk are remixed. If I froze it on the day of purchase I would keep it in the fridge, once thawed, for as long as fresh. I find the quickest way to thaw it out is to put it in a sink of warm water for a while.
    I have only found the fat to separate out if it has been in the freezer for months
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I froze a big plastic bottle half full of semi-skimmed milk (so am not sure about others) when I went away, for experimental reasons and because I couldn't bear to chuck it out.

On my return I put it back in the fridge where it took a good day and a half to defrost, but was perfectly usable afterwards.

It does go a horrible creamy yellowish colour when it's frozen, which makes you think it's 'off' but that's probably just the cream - and it does go back to its original colour.

I used it as normal and it was fine.

I did once fill an ice cube tray with the same type milk, thinking that on my return they would be easy to defrost for tea - but they went all curdled.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milk expands when it freezes, so there has to be some room for expansion in the container.
    Can pasteurised milk be frozen for a few weeks before use in the home?

It should be safe to freeze milk, providing you do the following things:

* freeze it before the 'Use by' date
    * follow any freezing or thawing instructions on the label
    * defrost it in the fridge so that it doesn't get too warm – allow about 24 hours for it to thaw
    * try to use the milk within a few days of defrosting – it will go off in the same way as ordinary pasteurised milk

When milk is frozen it expands and this can rupture the packaging. Check that the packaging is intact before you defrost it. If it has ruptured it's better not to use the milk.

Remember, freezing might affect the quality of the milk.
    http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamstoringpreparing/#A220104

In my limited experience of freezing milk, the quality doesn't suffer much, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    We always freeze left over milk it doesnt change the quality at all if you ask me
  • Options
    Mad HatterMad Hatter Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farm Foods are selling 2 - 4 pint cartons of milk for £1.50 so I get the offer, put one carton in the fridge and freeze the other carton in half pint polystryene cups with lids. When I have used the first 4 pint carton, I defrost 1 - half pint cup per day and use it as fresh milk. Such a saving as I think 1 - 4 pint carton of milk at Tesco is about £1.50 or even a bit more!

I dont particularly want to be freezing milk but the offer is good and I could not use all that milk before it went out of date.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. Didn't read the post properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I freeze full fat milk in zippy bags, one cup per bag.
  • Options
    David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to freeze milk but it got to be a pain waiting for it to thaw, we got a cheap outside fridge instead now.

Also note that if you freeze milk in supermarket bottles it might crack the bottles so check regularly and prolly best to put at bottom of freezer if possible.
  • Options
    Stephen_Brooks1Stephen_Brooks1 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tip on shaking properly when defrosted. I made a cup of tea this morning using what was left in my defrosted carton. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back what was left had curdled in those 2 hours. I had already defrosted another carton this morning so I had my luvverly cuppa!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Message to April 2010, don't vote for Nick Clegg! He lie!

Can you hear me the past?
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,935
    Forum Member
    You can, but after defrosting you often get those little curdy bits floating around. Something happens to part of the milk during freezing/defrosting that often leaves bits. Which is a bit disconcerting in tea/on cereals to see lumps of milk.

In the end, with milk lasting as long as it does in the fridge, I don't think it's worth it.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    yes you can freeze milk.

As long as it's not in a milk bottle!! :o
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    You can, but after defrosting you often get those little curdy bits floating around. Something happens to part of the milk during freezing/defrosting that often leaves bits. Which is a bit disconcerting in tea/on cereals to see lumps of milk.

In the end, with milk lasting as long as it does in the fridge, I don't think it's worth it.
    silversox wrote: »
    As long as it's not in a milk bottle!! :o

You are aware this is a dead and buried thread dragged up from it's resting place for who knows what reason? :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip on shaking properly when defrosted. I made a cup of tea this morning using what was left in my defrosted carton. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back what was left had curdled in those 2 hours. I had already defrosted another carton this morning so I had my luvverly cuppa!

are you on dial up?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you on dial up?

Think even two baked bean cans and a length of string would be faster than four years to download this thread :D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sues wrote: »
    I believe milk might separate if it is frozen. If the use-by date is Friday, you could still use it after then for a few days - just check it for smelling and make sure you keep it in the fridge. Why not make milk puddings with it to use it up.

It won't separate, we have been freezing milk for well over 30 years, it doesn't go off any quicker, doesn't separate and tastes fine.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy milk daily
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love lamp.