Long-running TV series Last of the Summer Wine to end

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
Forum Member
Last of The Summer wine is Axed

I'm not the biggest fan of the show but I accept it has an audience. My concern is it will be replaced with "Strictly Come Nose Picking" or some other low budget garbage.

Comments

• cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like it, but I'm glad it's coming to an end before one of the actors, sadly passes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is one of those shows people watch because "we always have". I used to love it but since Bill Owen and Kathy Staff died the series hasnt really been the same. All these "Compo" style replacements just don't work. Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton barely appear in it these days.

If you watch early episodes from the 70's/80's the series wasnt full of farce like it is today, it had some really funny stories, and the 1984 Christmas special (although a bit farcical) is funny and warm at the same time.

It's best days are over, and I think it is fitting to end the series now while Peter Sallis and Jane Freeman (the only 2 original cast members left) are still here to give it a fond farewell.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think TV is becoming increasingly ageist! Most new programs nowadays seem to cater for those under 35 whilst those over have to "make do".

It is about time that some "old timers" were brought back in BBC TV production to return the BBC to its glory days of comedy and drama.
  • ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    shame. my favourite was when they went round the nurburgring. poor old jezzer.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is one of those shows people watch because "we always have". I used to love it but since Bill Owen and Kathy Staff died the series hasnt really been the same. All these "Compo" style replacements just don't work. Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton barely appear in it these days.

If you watch early episodes from the 70's/80's the series wasnt full of farce like it is today, it had some really funny stories, and the 1984 Christmas special (although a bit farcical) is funny and warm at the same time.

It's best days are over, and I think it is fitting to end the series now while Peter Sallis and Jane Freeman (the only 2 original cast members left) are still here to give it a fond farewell.

Does anyone know how old Jane Freeman is? Apparantly she is also now confined to indoor scenes only due to this issue of actors over 80 being costly to insure for outdoor scenes.

I only though she was in her late 30's/early 40's when she started in LOSW.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 25 years late.
  • PDTPDT Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    This may be the happiest day of my life *sniff*
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched it for several years but it seems highly likely that this is ending now because Sallis, the last of the original trio, either no longer wishes, or is no longer able, to continue.

Once he passes, I'm pretty sure LOSW would be cancelled anyway, and I don't think anybody wants it to end on that kind of 'downer' so they're getting out beforehand.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame. It would be wrong of me to say I'm a fan but I did have respect for the show, and thought many people were way to harsh on it. Simon Farnaby did a really good job of defending the show on CHarlie Brooker's screenwipe, he echoes a lot of what I'd say.

go to 6.25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXoDj6y4X7o
  • koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    As a long standing fan of LSW
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Oh...
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better that it end now, before Peter Sallis sadly goes.

I've not properly watched it for some time, but it's not what it was. Kathy Staff, Bill Owen and Thora Hird were irreplaceable.

It's a sad indictment of today's telly that the countryside is only ever seen on TV on a Sunday evening. The end of Summer Wine will be very noticeable for cutting back on the rural input to the BBC's schedule. Also worth noting is that there are hardly any programmes with an older cast.

It had long run its course, but its ending is quite epochal.
  • northernslayernorthernslayer Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didn't even realise it was still going!.. where have I been:confused:
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long past its sell by date IMO. Think they woulld be better off repeating earlier series when it was still funny.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I love it and have watched the repeats many a time on the satellite channels...but those repeats are always of the best years..it is time to let it go
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this coming series will be retitled "Very Last of the Summer Wine", then. :D
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    omg the bbc is ageist lets protest
  • pognog2pognog2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better that it end now, before Peter Sallis sadly goes.

I've not properly watched it for some time, but it's not what it was. Kathy Staff, Bill Owen and Thora Hird were irreplaceable.

It's a sad indictment of today's telly that the countryside is only ever seen on TV on a Sunday evening. The end of Summer Wine will be very noticeable for cutting back on the rural input to the BBC's schedule. Also worth noting is that there are hardly any programmes with an older cast.

It had long run its course, but its ending is quite epochal.

I agree with all this - When Bill Owen died I think they should have ended and if not then after both Thora Hird and Kathy Staff.

With Peter Sallis not being well - unable to see fully now as well I truly think this is the best time to end it
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    At last!

They should have stopped when 80% of the cast had snuffed it.
  • koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    As a long standing fan of LSW I am glad it has now been put to rest, it used to be about 3 old men who refused to grow up and all the antics that they got up to. The golden age was the Foggy years, dipped a bit when Seymour took over but bloomed again when Foggy returned. Had a small dip when Truly joined but came back again when he settled in. It also has had great side characters from the hen pecked husbands Sid, Wally Howard and Wesley to the strong female roles Nora, Ivy, Pearl and Edith. Other great characters are or were Auntie Wainwright, Wesley, and Marina and the two policemen. I thought it would end with the death of Compo but then along came Billy ( played by the wounderful Keith Clifford). But then oh dear oh dear in came rubbish and annoying characters such as Tom, Entwistle and Alvin. But what really killed it were the charaters Stella (Noras sister) and the dreadful Hobbo, this was a charater that just wasnt believable he was no longer an old man hanging on to his youth but was obviously insane but not in a comic way and should have been locked up. So yes Im glad its now over because its no longer the show I used to love.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does annoy me those smartass comediennes having a go at it, as if their even slightly funny.

I have Watched it since I was a kid and even though I love the programme, it really ended when Compo died in 2000.

With Thora Hird and Gordon Wharmby dieing in 2003 and 2002, they should have ended the show in the last series with Bill Owen in it.

I have a couple of the DVD boxsets and I definitely intend to get the rest.

Early eighties to about 94 was the golden era. Sadly the ones since the millennium have been enjoyable, but a bit weak.

It was always built around the three main characters and just having lots of non connected scenes with different support characters, has never really worked.

Why Barry and Thelma seem to have a series of their own within the main one, I just don't know.

Unless they do Last of the Summer Wine the next generation, I guess they would have had to wrap it up sometime.

To all those smug gits gloating, prepare for utter garbage to replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    koloisad wrote: »
    As a long standing fan of LSW I am glad it has now been put to rest, it used to be about 3 old men who refused to grow up and all the antics that they got up to. The golden age was the Foggy years, dipped a bit when Seymour took over but bloomed again when Foggy returned. Had a small dip when Truly joined but came back again when he settled in. It also has had great side characters from the hen pecked husbands Sid, Wally Howard and Wesley to the strong female roles Nora, Ivy, Pearl and Edith.

Actually at the time I thought that. Looking back though the Seymour era is the golden era, within the golden era for me.

I extend it a bit before because it included Wally. To go on after Nora Batty died , I agree was ridiculous.
    Other great characters are or were Auntie Wainwright, Wesley, and Marina and the two policemen..

I didn't like Auntie Wainwright initially, but she turned out to be a fantastic character.
    I thought it would end with the death of Compo but then along came Billy ( played by the wounderful Keith Clifford). But then oh dear oh dear in came rubbish and annoying characters such as Tom, Entwistle and Alvin. But what really killed it were the charaters Stella (Noras sister) and the dreadful Hobbo, this was a charater that just wasnt believable he was no longer an old man hanging on to his youth but was obviously insane but not in a comic way and should have been locked up. So yes Im glad its now over because its no longer the show I used to love.

Russ Abbot was really doing a rip off of Foggy, to be honest. Just ex spy, instead of ex army. I can see that the script writer realised, without the main three, it wasn't working and tried to recreate the three, but it wasn't the same.

Don't remember Billy, I stopped watching in the second half of the nineties and early 2000's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Long past its sell by date IMO. Think they woulld be better off repeating earlier series when it was still funny.

Don't worry the BBC are planning to replace it with, "Chav's got talent init". :)
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is quite sad. I never enjoyed it myself, but my gran used to love it and it was one of the very few programmes actually aimed at the older viewers.

There are plenty of shows that are aimed at a wide range of ages, but so few aimed soley at the 'older generation' - it just seems sad that they are not catered for, when they form an increasing larger percent of the population.

Although I think it is right that Last of the Summer Wine is put to bed, I do hope that focus is given to the 'oldies' and that this isn't axed just to make way for more inanity aimed at younger viewers.

( as someone approaching 40, I wouldn't actually class myself as an oldie, but I know my mum & her friends want something more than they are currently getting)
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I'm glad the series has been axed. It was long overdue.