ITV set for legal battle with Apple?

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34908/itv-apple-itv-trademark-rumour
"ITV has a very strong brand, and a highly valued IP", Mike Large, acting group director of Communications at ITV, has exclusively told Pocket-lint.

The comments come in light of the Apple rumours, and we stress rumours, that it is rebranding its Apple TV device as "iTV" around the globe, to better fit with its "i" prefixed branding.

"We have a large number of registered trademarks for ITV and are a household brand of over 50 years", Large was keen to stress when we asked whether the broadcaster would take on Apple if it used the iTV moniker.

Although ITV repeatedly told us that it wouldn't be drawn into commenting directly on whether or not it will actively fight Apple - if the Cupertino based company does in fact use iTV - Large did confirm that it has "vigorously defended" it's IP in the past.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deano_sky wrote: »
    My money is on apple winning :)

how can Apple win a trademark infringment dispute over the use of the term i/ITV???

Apple would need to demonstrate considerable ownership over the trademark for the judge to swing in their favour - ITV as a brand exists in the UK, not worldwide, so I can see the US market accepting iTV as their Apple service because ITV don't (as far as I know) have any recognised presence over in America.

Apple would either have to concede they can't launch it or refer to the service ongoing as iTV in the UK and use the Apple TV as their branding here, or they could simply play hardball and not launch it at all in the UK. If they did that, Apple effectively "win" in their own right (they're under no obligation to launch their products in the UK, so they're hardly breaking any rules by not doing so) and that could lead to the more ignorant parts of the UK public who don't understand brandings or the legalities of this situation to hold the view that ITV was some big bad TV company who wouldn't let Apple come here and trade with their latest product.

Thing is, I don't know how Apple TV/iTV would take off over here, as that would be ANOTHER service that doesn't fit in with the likes of Canvas/Seesaw/BT Vision/Virgin Media and their IPTV/cable offerings, but would be competing for the same market
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Apple would unquestionably lose.

But all that means is that the rumour that Apple is going to call the box iTV isn't true.

Phazer
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What then of the BBC's iPlayer?
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    What then of the BBC's iPlayer?
    It's not the same thing at all. It's to do with the name ITV. This has been around for decades. Apple can't just start usiong it now because it suits them.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Might as well just give me your money.
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn, none story. If the rumour is true, etc....
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just call it the

*drumroll*
    THE iVIZ

oh look, a drum rolling .....

now where's my 50 bazillion pounds???
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless the judge is one of those unpleasant Apple groupies, I cant see them winning this case.

the ITV brand is well known here, even changing it to iTV is not enough.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV could be known worldwide as well due to TV show sales with ITV named in the credits, same with their DVD releases.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iShow (tm) anyone??
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like they will come to a compromise and lots of £££ toward ITV to use the name, they did it with Cisco for the iPhone, Fuji for the iPad and some other company for Facetime. If I recall correctly they even paid some company to use the name iPad exclusively there by, yes giving them a bundle of cash.

It is hard to see ITV backing down though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    ITV could be known worldwide as well due to TV show sales with ITV named in the credits, same with their DVD releases.
    true enough, ITV Productions make im a celeb..., its not the biggest format on the global scale, but it has sold to a few places.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this a thread from four years ago?

Iain
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV make many programmes for fools who know no better. Apple sell a lot of overpriced tat to fools, some of it broken like the Iphone 4.

The two are well-matched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to sit in the correct position to watch it and if it doesnt work, is it always the viewers fault?

Its a win/win for ITV, they either win the court case and get loads of money or allow apple to use it but receive a massive pay off.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Do you have to sit in the correct position to watch it and if it doesnt work, is it always the viewers fault?

Its a win/win for ITV, they either win the court case and get loads of money or allow apple to use it but receive a massive pay off.

This is still just an unfounded rumor, but I think Apple will probably win if Steve Jobs has decided finally in his mind he wants to call it iTV, he's become quite dogmatic, a little crazy, and turned into a kind of lunatic caricature of what he used to be. Apple are sitting on about $40,000,000,000 of cash, and the last I saw ITV's total market cap was around $3-4 billion. And if we have learned anything it's that someone with more cash than God, can do anything they want.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    ITV make many programmes for fools who know no better. Apple sell a lot of overpriced tat to fools, some of it broken like the Iphone 4.

The two are well-matched.

Apple sell tat?

which products would you say were Apple's Top 3 of Tat....?

when you say the iPhone 4 is broken, which part doesn't work?

Iain
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone part ! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    Apple sell tat?

which products would you say were Apple's Top 3 of Tat....?

when you say the iPhone 4 is broken, which part doesn't work?

Iain

The phone
    The internet
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/30/pa_consulting_group_iphone_4_tests/

The proximity sensor.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/iphone_proximity_sensor_complaints/

Not to mention that a small drop results in the whole phone looking like a car windscreen after an accident.

Apples products are designed for fashion victims that must have the last product no matter what. It doesnt have to work, it just has to be shiny.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

How much?
    iShow (tm) anyone??

Sounds like a good name for it.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good one, Flyer 10. I'd also add the Ipad into the Top 3 of tat - for people who want a laptop but are too stupid to remember that they need a keyboard to make one function.

And the Nano. The Ipods are small enough themselves. Why do you want something that if it slipped down the back of one's gym shorts it'd disappear up their crack and never resurface?

Oh, and nothing Apple make can do Flash video!!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    And the Nano. The Ipods are small enough themselves. Why do you want something that if it slipped down the back of one's gym shorts it'd disappear up their crack and never resurface?

I found that the Ipod Nano was easy to lose but the Ipod touch is brilliant. I'm getting a MacBook Pro in a week or two and my mum wants the Ipad so I don't really mind Apple products.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

Doesn't their production arm produce Hells Kitchen and Supernanny over there as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't their production arm produce Hells Kitchen and Supernanny over there as well?
    Hells Kitchen, I think it does, but RDF does Supernanny USA to the best of my knowledge