Kylie Minogue - 'Into the Blue'

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    She left PWL at the height of her fame in 1993

that is simply not true. her last studio album with pwl was her lowest selling with the label, she was experiencing diminishing returns commercially and even her pwl greatest hits just shipped platinum in the uk. the height of her fame during the first phase of her musical career was without a doubt during the period where she released her first two albums and her duet with jason donovan.
    A very brave thing to do. No one else would have had the bottle to do that in a hurry.

she had little choice really. the label's golden period was over by 1993 and her musical collaboration with them was not as successful as it once was. some could call it brave, but personally, i think resigning with pwl at that point would have been insane.:o

Her 1997 album "Impossible Princess" was entirely written and produced by her

yes, along with dave ball, ingo vauk, steve anderson, dave seaman, james dean bradfield, nicky wire, sean moore and rob dougan.
    It's easy to call Kylie because other people have stated the same through ignorance or apathy, but she really is the genuine article but has never been given the respect that she deserves unfortunately. :)

yes and i agreed with the poster that you quoted, which you could say is an exaggeration or generalisation, but like i have stated elsewhere previously, kylie has crucially not co-written any of her biggest worldwide hits. just using two of kylie's biggest territories in terms of continued success, the uk and australia, she has picked up one co-writing credit out of her 7 uk #1's and out of her 10 australian #1 hits, she has co-written two.

now i like kylie a lot actually and i have followed her career for decades, but to me, she is more of an entertainer than a credible music writer or producer. from my point of view, she's a very good entertainer though and i mean that sincerely.
    To those on here that are getting a little hysterical about any similarities between songs...

i see no hysterics. well only from certain quarters as far as that part of the discussion is concerned anyway.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you GPK. Thanks :)
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    she had little choice really. the label's golden period was over by 1993 and her musical collaboration with them was not as successful as it once was. some could call it brave, but personally, i think resigning with pwl at that point would have been insane.:o

I think it was equal parts "brave" and "smart" - and the fact that she chose Deconstruction was one of the smartest moves she made. But it was pretty brave because she was not the first to leave PWL and almost everyone else who left before her had little to no success afterwards. She could have milked PWL for all it was worth - churned out two more albums in the time it took her to release her 1994 album - and then she could have gone back to acting or something. Instead she disappeared for two years and worked hard to reinvent herself. She wasn't fighting a war or anything, but it was a risky thing for her to do.
    yes, along with dave ball, ingo vauk, steve anderson, dave seaman, james dean bradfield, nicky wire, sean moore and rob dougan.

I think the point was that she co-wrote the whole album. At least two of those songs she wrote on her own.
    kylie has crucially not co-written any of her biggest worldwide hits. just using two of kylie's biggest territories in terms of continued success, the uk and australia, she has picked up one co-writing credit out of her 7 uk #1's and out of her 10 australian #1 hits, she has co-written two.

But "crucially" she HAS co-written some of her biggest hits. You can't say she hasn't written any of her hits in one breath and then say she's only co-written one #1 in the next. I count eight Top 10 hits in the UK with a writing credit.
    now i like kylie a lot actually and i have followed her career for decades, but to me, she is more of an entertainer than a credible music writer or producer. from my point of view, she's a very good entertainer though and i mean that sincerely.

But your notion of credibility is subjective. Which is very different to the actual fact that she has written many of her own songs, which is something that won't change regardless of your opinions on the quality of the outputs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Archangel
    To those on here that are getting a little hysterical about any similarities between songs...

It's hilarious how this person is getting hysterical over such a nonentity Aussie artist who is virtually an unknown in the UK. Like anyone in the UK would really care. It appears that it is only this one person who's getting his knickers in a twist over it. Highly amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newplanet wrote: »
    I think it was equal parts "brave" and "smart" - and the fact that she chose Deconstruction was one of the smartest moves she made. But it was pretty brave because she was not the first to leave PWL and almost everyone else who left before her had little to no success afterwards. She could have milked PWL for all it was worth - churned out two more albums in the time it took her to release her 1994 album - and then she could have gone back to acting or something. Instead she disappeared for two years and worked hard to reinvent herself. She wasn't fighting a war or anything, but it was a risky thing for her to do.

she already had. the last studio album with pwl missed the top 10 in australia and the uk and her singles under the label were frequently missing the top 10 at that point. do you honestly believe there was much potential left to be milked?
    I think the point was that she co-wrote the whole album. At least two of those songs she wrote on her own.

i was questioning the use of the word "entirely".
    But "crucially" she HAS co-written some of her biggest hits. You can't say she hasn't written any of her hits in one breath and then say she's only co-written one #1 in the next. I count eight Top 10 hits in the UK with a writing credit.

what songs have defined her career though? i would say, "i should be so lucky", "better the devil you know", "confide in me", "spinning around" and "cant get you out of my head". she had no writing credits on any of those songs that many people associate with kylie with the most.
    But your notion of credibility is subjective. Which is very different to the actual fact that she has written many of her own songs, which is something that won't change regardless of your opinions on the quality of the outputs.

which is very the reason why i stated that i was writing from my own prospective, but i mentioned nothing about the quality of songs that she actually did have a hand in writing though.:confused:
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    Again, it's pretty obvious the one person on here trying to cause friction and trouble...I'm surprised the mods aren't picking this up.

that's ironic, but i am well aware of some peoples fondness of the "alert" button, so i assume its not for the want of trying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hilarious how this person is getting hysterical over such a nonentity Aussie artist who is virtually an unknown in the UK. Like anyone in the UK would really care. It appears that it is only this one person who's getting his knickers in a twist over it. Highly amusing.

Trouble making me thinks.

Lets steer this back to the actual topic and ignore the trouble making.

Into The Blue has had a slight change on it's single cover. I'm hoping the official album title is announced next Monday as well as the official single details. The album cover so far looks GORGEOUS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its fair to assume this response is aimed at me, but i think you will find i wasn't the first person to bring that comparison to the thread. besides, this particular comparison would go relatively unmentioned by now if it wasn't for the fans constantly reiterating the same points over and over.

is it at all possible if people could avoid sharing thoughts like these? comments about forum users posting behaviour is not constructive to the thread, these claims are totally unfounded and they have no relevance to the topic in hand.

that is fine by me, but surely the best way to avoid the alleged troublemaking would be to avoid referencing it at every given opportunity.
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    she already had. the last studio album with pwl missed the top 10 in australia and the uk and her singles under the label were frequently missing the top 10 at that point. do you honestly believe there was much potential left to be milked?

There is no way to say for certain whether or not a continued contract with PWL would have been more or less successful but I honestly believe it was the safer option to remain with PWL at the time she made the decision to leave, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

As Kylie herself has proven, past sales figures simply don't dictate future ones. And as it actually happened, "Kylie Minogue" was only certified Gold (same as "Let's Get To It") and sales declined even further with "Impossible Princess".

What I am saying is that she gambled. She took a little leap of faith. Whether or not you regard that as brave is entirely up to you.
    what songs have defined her career though? i would say, "i should be so lucky", "better the devil you know", "confide in me", "spinning around" and "cant get you out of my head". she had no writing credits on any of those songs that many people associate with kylie with the most.

It depends on how you personally define "biggest hits" but it's easy to prove that she hasn't co-written ANY of her biggest hits if you choose to ignore those which proves that she has. It's simply a fact that she has co-written nine (I miscounted) Top 10 hits. Whether that's big enough or credible enough for your liking is entirely up to you.
    which is very the reason why i stated that i was writing from my own prospective, but i mentioned nothing about the quality of songs that she actually did have a hand in writing though.:confused:

Well you were talking about her credibility as a songwriter which led me to believe you didn't think much of the songs she's written? Or is it purely the number of hits which is important?
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Into The Blue has had a slight change on it's single cover. I'm hoping the official album title is announced next Monday as well as the official single details. The album cover so far looks GORGEOUS.

I actually find your posts quite hilarious, talk about pot calling kettle black. You are quite rude about other artists but do not like anyone have a different opinion to yours about Kylie.

I actually love this single, I also liked All The Lovers, but I detested Wow, wow, wow. I am looking forward to listening to the tasters for the rest of the album.
  • Options
    MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lyrics of Impossible Princess were entirely written by Kylie except for one track where she co-wrote it. Going through all my Kylie albums she has song writing credits on probably 25-75% of every album since then. Since 2000 the following songs have been co-written by Kylie (not including B-sides).

LIGHT YEARS: So Now Goodbye/Loveboat/Koocachoo/Your Disco Needs You/Please Stay/Bittersweet Goodbye/Butterfly/I'm So High/Light Years

FEVER: Love At First Sight/Give It To Me/In Your Eyes/Love Affair/Your Love

BODY LANGUAGE: Slow/Sweet Music/Someday/Loving Days

ULTIMATE KYLIE: I Believe In You/Giving You Up

X: In My Arms/Heartbeat Rock/The One/No More Rain/Stars/Wow/Cosmic

APHRODITE: Illusion/Too Much/Looking For An Angel

I hope the new album has a few Kylie written songs, but it does seem that she's writing less and less - compare Aphrodite to Light Years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I am saying is that she gambled. She took a little leap of faith. Whether or not you regard that as brave is entirely up to you.

yes, well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. there is always an element of risk involved with any artist changing labels, but i honestly believe that she left pwl at exactly the right time.
    It depends on how you personally define "biggest hits"

i was quite simply thinking about her "biggest worldwide hits" from a commercial prospective when i originally made that comment.
    Well you were talking about her credibility as a songwriter which led me to believe you didn't think much of the songs she's written? Or is it purely the number of hits which is important?

well its true that she hasn't written many of her #1 hits from the uk or australia and the ones she did write, weren't her biggest commercial hits or career defining moments. however, i do actually like many of the songs she's co-written.

actually, i was merely suggesting that she is more commonly known as an entertainer rather than a credible music song writer and producer. that wasn't meant as a put down or that i don't rate her creative input, but "it" isn't what she is most commonly known for in my opinion.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope there will be an orchestral version of Into The Blue, or that the final version will have an epic string intro/outro. The only part of the song I don't like is the "Will.I.Am" intro which sounds very cheap and generic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the albums called "kiss me once" and the album cover is visually quite stunning.
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there will be any duets on the album
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the albums called "kiss me once" and the album cover is visually quite stunning.
    I don't like the title but the cover is quite nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I don't like the title but the cover is quite nice!

it sounds like it could possibly be a track on the album. its could be a fun song, but it could also be an emotional track, depending on the context of course. so its got me quite intrigued actually and i do like the cover too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it sounds like it could possibly be a track on the album. its could be a fun song, but it could also be an emotional track, depending on the context of course. so its got me quite intrigued actually and i do like the cover too.
    It reminds me of the Ultimate Kylie cover which was just gorgeous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    It reminds me of the Ultimate Kylie cover which was just gorgeous.

yeah, i like that cover too and close up face shots are always flattering for her. in fact, i think i like all her album covers from "rhythm of love" onwards. "light years" is my absolute favourite album cover from her though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, i like that cover too and close up face shots are always flattering for her. in fact, i think i like all her album covers from "rhythm of love" onwards. "light years" is my absolute favourite album cover from her though.
    One thing that I think Kylie always gets spot on is her album/single covers. My favourite era of hers when it comes to imagery is the Body Language era. From the album cover to the Money Can't Buy concert, she looked amazing. The Bardot style she had was her best look IMO.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on the album art or title. For me the best album cover is still Fever.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Not keen on the album art or title. For me the best album cover is still Fever.

I do like the X cover art and art work probably my favourite, though Fever a close second :).

As for title and cover love love love it she never fails on those two fronts. Though still wish X had been titled Magnetic Electric.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Light Years is her best album cover art. It just captured the feel of the album perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lmao, i was so exited about posting the title and cover, i forgot to mention according to the article the single will now be released a week earlier on the 9th march.:blush:
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember if I posted about this in this thread but I am so disappointed in the cover art for the single. It looks like it was done by a kid with photoshop in five minutes. Why does official cover art for music/films/tv shows always look cheap as chips and completely uninspired? The artwork for Into The Blue could have been really amazing. I hope some fans will make some covers instead - I almost always like fan produced art better.

Also hate the album title and artwork too. What a disappointment. Hope the songs are still good though.
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lmao, i was so exited about posting the title and cover, i forgot to mention according to the article the single will now be released a week earlier on the 9th march.:blush:

Whaaaattt? Where was this posted? :p Feel like I'm playing catch up! Y not the 16th now?? :confused: