Camera Work - UK v US

2»

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband goes on about the camera work every week because he gets motion sickness easily. He hates the camera man running round the dancers with a vengence.

The lighting has been dreadful too, making some dresses look really weird. It's like someone turned the contrast setting up too much .
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    haha you should not have mentioned it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdJ08zlq5U
    two step at 2.22:D

Oh No! It wasn't a bad dream then ...
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how a dance should be filmed - perfection in ballroom dancing and camera work:

Marcus & Karen Hilton. Foxtrot (1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29ipLJr3Qc&feature=related

After all this is the view that the judges get, and the audience in the studio, so why the television audience should get a view which is so different I can't understand. It almost looks as if the producer thinks the audience are children with a very short attention span, and have to be kept excited or they will get bored and start fidgeting and fighting, but that can't be true, can it?

It always amuses me the way the television people go on about Fred Astaire, because they know it will get automatic applause, but they never follow Fred's own rule that the whole body must be in shot all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    This is how a dance should be filmed - perfection in ballroom dancing and camera work:

Marcus & Karen Hilton. Foxtrot (1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29ipLJr3Qc&feature=related

After all this is the view that the judges get, and the audience in the studio, so why the television audience should get a view which is so different I can't understand. It almost looks as if the producer thinks the audience are children with a very short attention span, and have to be kept excited or they will get bored and start fidgeting and fighting, but that can't be true, can it?

It always amuses me the way the television people go on about Fred Astaire, because they know it will get automatic applause, but they never follow Fred's own rule that the whole body must be in shot all the time.

Yes perfect. The cameras switched at 0:35 0:46 1:14 1:30 2:14 2:28 2:33 so just 7 switches of camera and long scenes and no Whirling Dervish Cameraman on Acid.

Louise Rainbow the Executive Producer of Strictly should go back to that style of camera work. Very similar to what the BBC now uses for football or other sports.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no chance of making them see sense when viewing figures are not falling and the BBC are not on their backs. The producer is convinced the dancing isn't interesting to the public on its own based on the ultimate failure of Come Dancing, reasoning that the show needs to be filled with fake comedy VTs, props, light shows, popular yet completely inappropriate music, silly themes and the stalinist hyperbole of the perpetual standing ovation. She sneers at you lot wanting to see properly what is going or hearing them dance to appropriate music as an irrelevant intellectualism. She's on the vacuous attention level of last century yoof TV like The Word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no chance of making them see sense when viewing figures are not falling and the BBC are not on their backs. The producer is convinced the dancing isn't interesting to the public on its own based on the ultimate failure of Come Dancing, reasoning that the show needs to be filled with fake comedy VTs, props, light shows, popular yet completely inappropriate music, silly themes and the stalinist hyperbole of the perpetual standing ovation. She sneers at you lot wanting to see properly what is going or hearing them dance to appropriate music as an irrelevant intellectualism. She's on the vacuous attention level of last century yoof TV like The Word.

Quite.

That would have been an upsetting scenario just a few years ago. But now YouTube has made broadcasters like the BBC irrelevant.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why has no other channel started a serious dance programme in the Come Dancing style? If there are all those millions of viewers wanting it then I would have expected other channels to jump at the opportunity to do so.

I suspect the viewing figures would be lucky to get into six figures which means there is not the money to spend on the programme to get top dancers, technicians, sets, musicians. It would all be done on a small budget.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    compared to Strictly, Come Dancing was as cheap as chips it cost the BBC nothing for those who took part - and meccca funded and ran the qualifiers for the show - problem was it was always going to be for a small audience - it was the involvement of celebs that made it the entertainment show it has become - shame really being from a dancing family i was around the show for more years than I care to mention and was present for all the clips on here and even go back to the early black and white days but things move on and it is what it is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    compared to Strictly, Come Dancing was as cheap as chips it cost the BBC nothing for those who took part - and meccca funded and ran the qualifiers for the show - problem was it was always going to be for a small audience - it was the involvement of celebs that made it the entertainment show it has become - shame really being from a dancing family i was around the show for more years than I care to mention and was present for all the clips on here and even go back to the early black and white days but things move on and it is what it is

I've seldom heard of more than one or two of the so-called "celebs". And not interested in the personal lives of even the ones I have heard of.

The annoying thing is that they do have quality content which they are withholding from us. They could easily make available single camera all body clips of the dances on their YouTube channel. Or a Judge's View on the red button.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays with dwts you have 6 different cameras during the live show.. you have a view of the make up room, from the judges table, from the balcony.... very interesting..

My favorite view is from the judges table because you really do see something quite different from what you normally see at the t.v. ( which explains why the judges spot mistakes that we don't always see on t.v. )