Gunman Kills 2 New York Police Officers

GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30566196

Absolutely terrible, RIP to both, condolences to all their families and friends :(

Comments

• Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really sad news - I just hope this does not cause a cascade

The officers were killed without warning in their marked police car as they were on duty in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, Police Commissioner William Bratton told a news conference flanked by Mayor Bill de Blasio.

"They were quite simply assassinated," he said.

Bratton said the gunman, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, 28, took a shooter's stance on the passenger side of the squad car and opened fire with a silver semi-automatic handgun.

He then fled into a nearby subway station and died there from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Bratton said.

Brinsley had shot and seriously wounded his girlfriend in Baltimore County, Maryland, early on Saturday before traveling to Brooklyn, where he had connections, the police chief said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/21/uk-usa-newyork-police-idUKKBN0JZ00520141221
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news, RIP.

I noticed "A gunman who had posted anti-police statements on social media" :( Too many wackos about in this world for my liking.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    really sad news - I just hope this does not cause a cascade

The officers were killed without warning in their marked police car as they were on duty in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, Police Commissioner William Bratton told a news conference flanked by Mayor Bill de Blasio.

"They were quite simply assassinated," he said.

Bratton said the gunman, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, 28, took a shooter's stance on the passenger side of the squad car and opened fire with a silver semi-automatic handgun.

He then fled into a nearby subway station and died there from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Bratton said.

Brinsley had shot and seriously wounded his girlfriend in Baltimore County, Maryland, early on Saturday before traveling to Brooklyn, where he had connections, the police chief said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/21/uk-usa-newyork-police-idUKKBN0JZ00520141221

That is one hell of a dodgy area in Brooklyn, RIP to the officers and condolences to their families.

Hope the piece of scum rots in hell. The area is being gentrified though but not fast enough.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Plenty sympathy here. Mentally ill guy (judging by his actions - whether or not he had prior mental illness then shooting your girlfriend, 2 cops, then yourself shows your state of mind at the end) kills 3 innocents before committing suicide. Seems tragic enough to me.

Can't see it causing a cascade as the killers actions seem to be standard spree killer territory if early reports are accurate.

I was surprised it was the first police officer shooting fatality in NYC in 3 years. I'd have guessed they were more common. Big city.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports he is a recent Muslim convert.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a warning in the UK for police officers to come to work in plan clothes cause of threats which was found to be a hoax.

It's a assaination in an execution cause a black man was killed by police officers.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30566196

Absolutely terrible, RIP to both, condolences to all their families and friends :(

Indeed, condolences.

Two individual police officers simply targetted for being police officers. No other reasons.

As somebody said earlier, too many wack jobs about nowadays. At least he's dead too.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »

Quelle surprise.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    It's awful. Many people in America are going to be pleased, though.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Photos of the deceased have been released http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/20/nypd-officers-dead-brooklyn-shooting_n_6360434.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&ir=UK&ncid=webmail1

"Liu, age 32, was a seven year veteran of the force, the NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Public Information said in a statement. Liu was married only two months ago, according to Bratton, who met with the fallen officer's devastated parents and new bride.

Ramos, who just had his 40th birthday, became a cop only three years ago after working for years as a school safety officer. He was a two year veteran of the NYPD, the DCPI said. Ramos' family includes a wife and 13-year-old son, "who couldn't comprehend what had happened to his father," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said
    ."

One recently married and the other had a 13 year old son
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The representative of the Police Benevolence Association said that the people who caused this will be brought to justice.

Given the gunman is dead who else is involved?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    It's really hard to feel sympathetic, when they insist on living in a land full of guns. More so, with an overbearing and trigger happy police force.

Yeah I feel pretty much the same tbh.
  • frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is obviously a terrible thing to happen. But let's face it, It is only big news because 1) it's New York with an influx of tourist shoppers, especially before Christmas and 2) almost the majority of people in that country are English-speaking. Is this being reported in countries where English isn't the main national language? Ordinary people and police officers all around the world are killed every day and it doesn't make the news, because they are less important. May they all rest in peace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The representative of the Police Benevolence Association said that the people who caused this will be brought to justice.

Given the gunman is dead who else is involved?

And he has apparently used these murders to declare war on Black people:

http://melanoidnation.org/did-pat-lynch-of-the-ny-police-union-literally-declare-war-on-black-citizens/
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    blueblade wrote: »
    Quelle surprise.

Did you have these posts written out just ready to click the post button?

It's always the same posters revealing and commenting on information like this.

For the rest of us - my condolences to the families of the policemen. I hope this doesn't' escalate with more examples and that police forces across the USA maintain their jobs without retaliation.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sympathies go to the families of these two officers, may they RIP.

Also, I hope the injured girlfriend is recovering.

ETA: What I do not like to read is comments such as this "The head of the New York police officers union, Patrick Lynch told the BBC: "There's blood on many hands tonight. Those that incited violence on the street under the guise of protest. We tried to warn - it must not go on, it cannot be tolerated.""

EAch person is to blame for their own actions, blaming anybody else for the way this man acted is irresponsible and could potentially lead to more trouble.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell would you shoot two people who haven't done anything to you and then shoot yourself? I'm just wondering if he was mentally ill in a dangerous way.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    More evil than ill i would Say.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    There was a warning in the UK for police officers to come to work in plan clothes cause of threats which was found to be a hoax.

It's a assaination in an execution cause a black man was killed by police officers.

It wasn't a hoax at all, the threat level to officers is still raised and the advice still stands. However, the most recent in the news; the threat to a West Midlands Police officer a couple of weeks ago, has since been found to not be credible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic, those poor men. Hope the police deal with the people cheering for this thug after he posted a photo of his gun bragging about how he would put wings on pigs that day and saying " they take one of ours let's take two of theirs".
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    For the rest of us - my condolences to the families of the policemen. I hope this doesn't' escalate with more examples and that police forces across the USA maintain their jobs without retaliation.

That's a rather bizarre and distasteful comment to make.

Kinda like, upon hearing that a Muslim had been abused in some way, saying "...and I hope all the other muslims don't get all head-choppy in retaliation".

Can you explain why you think it might be a possibility that US police forces would respond in retaliatory manner? :confused:
    Is there some incident that suggests this is likely or are we just making up random, distasteful shit now, and saying "Gosh, I hope [insert random demographic here] doesn't decide to do that"?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That's a rather bizarre and distasteful comment to make.

Kinda like, upon hearing that a Muslim had been abused in some way, saying "...and I hope all the other muslims don't get all head-choppy in retaliation".

Can you explain why you think it might be a possibility that US police forces would respond in retaliatory manner? :confused:
    Is there some incident that suggests this is likely or are we just making up random, distasteful shit now, and saying "Gosh, I hope [insert random demographic here] doesn't decide to do that"?

I think the poster was saying he hopes the police can continue in their roles without the fear of more retaliation for the two people this scumbag cited in his social media rather than retaliate themselves.

I could have misread it though
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NII 88 wrote: »
    And he has apparently used these murders to declare war on Black people:

http://melanoidnation.org/did-pat-lynch-of-the-ny-police-union-literally-declare-war-on-black-citizens/

Not an entirely unbiased source though, is it ?
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

"“(F)or the 1st time in a number of years we have become a “wartime” police department. We will act accordingly” Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, head Pat Lynch said according to different sources.

The memo was picked up by several mainstream news sources and several law enforcement officials retweeted the memo."

it really did happen
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you'd seen the statement on TV you would have wondered if you were watching an episode of The Shield or The Sopranos.