Options

CS: New Bethany Platt

Comments

• Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the actress is 25, 6 years younger than Tina O' Brien. :eek: :D

What are Corrie playing at casting someone 9 years older than Bethany?

This will be worse than Ryan Mark 2.

Wake up ITV!
  • Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her twitter account is still active - @katieredfordtlc
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    This is soapland so steve will be fine the scene after his first therapy session :D

I hope so, this story is boring me to tears, I turn over whenever Steve comes on.>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I wonder what kind of accent this new Bethany will have, she's been living in Italy the past 7 years hasn't she? I hope this doesn't turn out like Vicky from Eastenders.
  • Options
    Rotsea RoverRotsea Rover Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at her photos on twitter they could easily make her pass for 14
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I knew strait away she was at least 23 and that's with all her profile pics being heavily shopped, blurred, and touched up , Its going to look ridiculous in HD.

And ITV lying thought their teeth doesn't help matters.

Anyone save her Bday pic? or twitter screen cap?
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Hazellou wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of accent this new Bethany will have, she's been living in Italy the past 7 years hasn't she? I hope this doesn't turn out like Vicky from Eastenders.

Her casting sheet for her agency says British/Cockney as accents

So obviously she was in the Enders section of Italy
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her casting sheet for her agency says British/Cockney as accents

So obviously she was in the Enders section of Italy

I think I read she's originally from Nottingham which is a pretty softened Northern accent and might actually work, given that she had already established an accent before she left (she was 7) and has been living with her Mum who's accent is likely to have remained the same.

One thing that might have explained Bethany being really grown up, might have been to have us think that over the years, she'd been modelling? I know it's VERY cliche as she's been in Milan, but not outside the realms of possibility. I await with baited breath for the ways in which the producers are going to explain this one!!
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her audition might have been excellent but yeah, seriously? They should take into account the fact that Tina O' Brien looks young when casting someone to be her daughter.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so Bethany looks the same age as her mum Sarah Lou but is only 1/2 years older than Faye supposedly and younger than craig.

Really bad casting on the part of corrie hope its not another wallis day situation
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Looks like she just re named her twitter its all the same posts and age of the account, Deleted the Bday pic though and her instagram.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like she just re named her twitter its all the same posts and age of the account, Deleted the Bday pic though and her instagram.

Yeah it used to be @katieredford89. If Corrie bosses were gonna lie about her age the least they could have done was to sort stuff like this beforehand. How stupid can they get?? xD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. They REALLY are going to some lengths to cover up her actual age!! How weird! Why not just admit it, and tell us to wait and see that it was a decision based on her talent, and ask us to remain open minded until we see her in action?! Yeah we're pissed about it, but we might all be eating our words in a few weeks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I think I read she's originally from Nottingham which is a pretty softened Northern accent and might actually work, given that she had already established an accent before she left (she was 7) and has been living with her Mum who's accent is likely to have remained the same.

One thing that might have explained Bethany being really grown up, might have been to have us think that over the years, she'd been modelling? I know it's VERY cliche as she's been in Milan, but not outside the realms of possibility. I await with baited breath for the ways in which the producers are going to explain this one!!

She would have gone to school in Italy, speak Italian fluently and speak English with an Italian accent.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the actress have lied about her age and they didn't know when they cast her? Many employers do look for an online presence, but I wouldn't put it past Corrie under SB not to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    She would have gone to school in Italy, speak Italian fluently and speak English with an Italian accent.

Disagree. She would obviously speak fluent Italian, but my cousins have lived in France since they were kids. When in France they speak French obviously, but when they come home to visit us all, they have a broad Yorkshire accent, exactly the same as they left with, and their parents accents remain exactly the same!
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes apparently 26!! If shes in it in 5 years time we will have a 31 year old playing a teenager!!! Tbf the actor does look 18 but even if she does look 18 shes playing a 14 year old. I cant get over it
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, so when you google 'Katie Redford Nottingham' it shows her old Twitter handle @katieredford89 but when you click on it, it shows the page has been deleted.

It gives a news article stating her age as 19:
    http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-teenager-join-cast-Coronation-Street/story-25877646-detail/story.html

Her Facebook, however, is open (won't be for long) and her username there is also has 89 in it (I won't post a link though it's not hard to find) - in one of the pics she is smiling and has crows feet. Nothing wrong with that - I'm 32 and so do I, but difficult for an actress playing such a young character.

Her 192 profile states her as 25-29 age group.

On JustGiving she has a fundraising page raising money for a school friend who sadly died in 2013 aged 23 - assuming this was a classmate it stands to reason she'd be 24-25 in 2015.

Here's her (cached, it's since been deleted) profile on a party site, where she worked as a kids entertainer - apparently she moved to London at 18 and at 22 she began working in television production, moving on to acting.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HDgkHf1SUD0J:http://dazzleandfizzparties.co.uk/meet-team/%2Bkatie+redford+nottingham+age&hl=en-GB&gbv=2&&ct=clnk

This is all from ONE Google search (trust me I'd make a terrible stalker) but it's SO easy to find, why lie?
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's inherited the same genes Gail passed on to Nick :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »

Really bad casting on the part of corrie hope its not another wallis day situation

Probably the same casting director that chose curly Simon to be the son of a blonde and Peter.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeg wrote: »

The article says she has 'an eye for the boys'. I'm just wondering what boys those might be - there aren't many teenage lads on the Street, and it'll be so inappropriate if they have this 14-year-old running around after grown men. It all screams of short-term stunt-storytelling.

Oh God, another gabby, feisty wild child, do TPTB know that most kids are normal, like Craig? The Hat's cliche ridden s/ls strike yet again. Am not looking forward to this carry on at all.
  • Options
    rubberduck3y6rubberduck3y6 Posts: 18,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do soaps insist on cast actors MUCH older than the characters they're playing?? We've had Tommy, Ryan and Nick on Corrie and Kirin on Emmerdale (who looks ridiculous when they put him in a school unifrom), now Bethany! It really stretches suspension of disbelief!
  • Options
    madeleymademadeleymade Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Labour laws, and the guy playing Kiran is actually "only" 21.
  • Options
    madeleymademadeleymade Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    It's been there since the olden days. Doris Speed (b.1899, although she claimed she was born in 1914!) played Annie Walker b.1909, and Philip Lowrie was 24 playing teenage Dennis Tanner.
    And Gail herself Helen Worth was 23 playing 16 y/o when she started, though she looked about thirty. And lest we forget, Sue Nicholls, her on-screen mum is only 7 years older...
    It runs in the family.
  • Options
    IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazellou wrote: »
    valkay wrote: »
    The article says that Bethany has been attending an English school in Milan - like the one my cousin taught at for over a decade, I daresay. So she'd have spoken English both at home and at school, and will therefore have an English accent still, although what kind of English accent remains to be seen.