Options

Your favourite slow cooker meals/recipes!

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *badges and hats for slow cooking club members on table in corner* :D

I was googling slow cooker stuff when I came across this http://valdodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/slow-cooker.jpg :eek: was my first thougt, but I guess,if they are healthy, inexpensive, then maybe they are handy, but still...:eek:

The important word. Its looks vile.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The important word. Its looks vile.

It didn't look nice at all. I had to investigate it further and somebody had sampled one and said it was ok but not the kind of things you give to guests!!!

Think I'll make do with the 15 mins preperation of real food :D
  • Options
    SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *badges and hats for slow cooking club members on table in corner* :D

I was googling slow cooker stuff when I came across this http://valdodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/slow-cooker.jpg :eek: was my first thougt, but I guess,if they are healthy, inexpensive, then maybe they are handy, but still...:eek:

Oh I saw those advertised in Canada when I was there earlier this year.
    Couldn't really see the point as slow cooker recipes are pretty simple to do with the minimum of preparation. But if you really can't be bothered to peel a potato then go for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you cooking a whole chicken dont forget the wonderfull chicken stock you get too :D I just bung a whole chicken in over night....no need to add any liquid.......next morning scrummy cooked chicken and a whole load of stock that if you refrigerate turns into a jelly like stock....perfect for making a stew with the last of the chicken and added veg of your choice.....I always add a carton of passata too (to the stew)....gorgeous
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, for dinner last night I did a lamb stew, made with a really cheap breast joint of lamb, and it was absolutely gorgeous by the time the slow cooker had finished with it.

And today, it is currently working its magic on some leek and potato soup.

Why on earth did I wait so long before buying a slow cooker?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey.

How's the slow cooking going? Any new things tried recently?

I have decided this weekend I am going to do the lamb shanks recipe that is in the slow cooking section of the magazine and later in week will either do a chicken on bed of veg or a gammon. If I choose a gamon, what would be the best veg to go under it?

:)
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I choose a gamon, what would be the best veg to go under it?

:)

Nothing. No veg no water just the gammon.. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing. No veg no water just the gammon.. ;)

Nice... :) Thank you!
  • Options
    strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just made up this gammon recipe

Cut fat off gammon and stick in some whole cloves

Soak gammon in pear cider for approx 1-2hrs (keep approx 200ml of cider to one side)

Roll gammon in honey or maple syrup

Then roll gammon in Mollasses or dark brown sugar

Cut up large bramley apple roughly into four large slices (pips n, all)

Put 2 slices in bottom of slow cooker and then place gammon on top add 2 other slices of apple.

Pour some more honey over everything (optional)

Then add the 200ml of cider (saved from soaking).

Place on low for approx 12 hours

Serve with mashed potato, peas and pickles (espec piccallili:D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can do a mean turkey casserole in the slow cooker.

Cut up turkey, throw in some casserole sauce (I use homepride), and chopped up veg. Yum.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just made up this gammon recipe

Cut fat off gammon and stick in some whole cloves

Soak gammon in pear cider for approx 1-2hrs (keep approx 200ml of cider to one side)

Roll gammon in honey or maple syrup

Then roll gammon in Mollasses or dark brown sugar

Cut up large bramley apple roughly into four large slices (pips n, all)

Put 2 slices in bottom of slow cooker and then place gammon on top add 2 other slices of apple.

Pour some more honey over everything (optional)

Then add the 200ml of cider (saved from soaking).

Place on low for approx 12 hours

Serve with mashed potato, peas and pickles (espec piccallili:D)

You forgot the 500ml of cider to drink with it!:D
  • Options
    strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot the 500ml of cider to drink with it!:D

Darn I knew I forgot something:D.........
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should try this one:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/13191/hachee+met+rode+kool+en+appeltjes+beef+stew+with+red+cabbage+apple

It's very well suited for a slow cooker.
    You can subsitute the stock or cold water with beer. A dark ale would be perfect.

Best served with mashed potatoes or rice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My slow cooker has being commendeered to cook my christmas puddings up!! :D

Mum said last year that they were the nicest she had ever had so have done it too!!

Roll on Christmas!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooked my pork loin overnight on low in my slow cooker for todays dinner...it was yummy :D
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I was actually considering getting a slow cooker as part of their Xmas presents for 2 of my children - but am totally bemused by the specs.

I have no idea as to what capacity it should be - 3.5L seems to be the standard. But whilst they do not have children at the moment, but they are both considering having them soon. So,

1. will a large slow cooker cook small quantities?

2. Are there any brands that are better than others

3. Does it matter if there is no timer?

Any help given will be gratefully received!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 pages of slow cooker talk and not one person willing to help in any way?

Surely not - there must be some nice people out there!:D
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 3.5 litre is a good size to get as a first purchase. It's large enough to make around 4 portions of things like stews or chilli, can cope with meat joints suitable for 4 people yet as you say is capable of cooking meals of smaller quantities. It may be worth considering an oval shaped cooker for cooking leg joints. Non of my cookers have timers though I have on occasions used a plug-in timer. Many cookers have a choice of heat setting so this often negates the need of timers as users will tend to select the temperature to match the time the food will be left unattended. Look for at least 'high' 'auto' and 'low'

I personally own three slow cookers 1.5L 3.5L and a 6.5L and the 3.5L gets most use
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much. :)
    I am glad you said go for the 3.5L as this seems to be the most prevalent on offer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the 6.5L one so I have enough for 2 nights but the 3.5L ones are usually more than enough. I bought my friend a 1.5L one and it does for her and she can do meals when her partner is there too.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a great Slow Cooker Recipe book on Amazon for £2.98 (choose free delivery and thats all it costs). 200 recipes in full colour - cannot go wrong.:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0600620697/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Can do a mean turkey casserole in the slow cooker.

Cut up turkey, throw in some casserole sauce (I use homepride), and chopped up veg. Yum.

I did something similiar this weekend. Turkey breast leftovers, gravy and some peas and carrots. Spooned over some hot mashed potatoes and it was delish.

I would like to ask, what is casserole sauce?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Need some inspiration folks!

I have a pork joint that I would like to do something with in the slow cooker - it is a boneless neck fillet joint if anyone can suggest what to do with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi FC:)

I don't do much pork but could you pop some chopped apples in them and maybe the flavours would infuse or you could end up with some kind of apple sauce?

Or cook it on a bed of garlic and veg and when its done, while the pork is resting (do you rest neck fillets??) you could roast the vegs off in the oven?

I probably have been no use but a porky person may come along with better suggestions :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does this sound to fellow slow cooker owners?

I have a fairly big lump of beef topside in the freezer, and as its not exactly the best quality (bought in Tesco purely on price) I thought that the slow cooker might make a better job of cooking it, so I was thinking of putting the cleaver through it, chopping it into two (or maybe four), browning it, then putting it in the slow cooker with onions, carrots, swede, celery, beef stock, tinned tomatoes, dash of red wine, Worcester sauce and some herbs, on low for about 8 to 10 hours.

Served with freshly baked bread, I reckon it should be quite pleasant for a cold evening, plus I am fairly sure that it will give me enough to cool and freeze half for another day?