Options

Sky customer services

koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
Forum Member
I got my HD box in Nov 2008, but sky phoned and told me that they were replacing it due to some common fault at the end of Feb 2009 and that my 12 month warranty would re start from that date . Now its developed a fault and I phoned them on Sat morning, got through to a Scottish girl who talked me through how to do a prog rebuild to see if that would cure the problem, she also repeated that the warranty was still ok to the end of Feb. This didnt cure the prob so rang back and got a Scottish man who who again was very help full he just looked at his screen and saw what had previously been tried and suggested some thing else and said if that didnt work to ring back and arrange for an Engineer to come out. As I was cornered about the call out charge I again asked if that was covered by the warranty he said yes I can see you had your box replaced by sky and the warranty restarted untill the end of Feb.
Now this morning the fault reappeared so I rang them again, only this time I got a non British person who I had trouble getting to understand my problem, and then suggested I do the same thing which i did the after the first call, when I said haven't you got a record of what has been done he didn't understand what I meant,. Then he said it wasn't covered by the warranty anymore so after trying to explain I gave up and rung off then rung back to get someone else. The next person who was also non British but could speak clearly and understood what had gone on and said that she would arrange an Engineer to come out but as it wasn't under warrant anymore I would have to pay ARRRRG I tried to explain that is still is under warranty but could get no where so I rang off

Does anyone know
1 if The first person was correct and the warranty was restarted when they changed the boxes as they changed everyone's
2 When the best time to ring and get a nice Scottish person to talk to.

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought for most things, if they get replaced, your warranty carries on from where it left off, and didn't start again.

The only exception i think, if something goes wrong near the end of a warranty, that you get an additional 3 months, but that is down to the discretion of the company involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    koloisad wrote: »
    I got my HD box in Nov 2008, but sky phoned and told me that they were replacing it due to some common fault at the end of Feb 2009 and that my 12 month warranty would re start from that date . Now its developed a fault and I phoned them on Sat morning, got through to a Scottish girl who talked me through how to do a prog rebuild to see if that would cure the problem, she also repeated that the warranty was still ok to the end of Feb. This didnt cure the prob so rang back and got a Scottish man who who again was very help full he just looked at his screen and saw what had previously been tried and suggested some thing else and said if that didnt work to ring back and arrange for an Engineer to come out. As I was cornered about the call out charge I again asked if that was covered by the warranty he said yes I can see you had your box replaced by sky and the warranty restarted untill the end of Feb.
    Now this morning the fault reappeared so I rang them again, only this time I got a non British person who I had trouble getting to understand my problem, and then suggested I do the same thing which i did the after the first call, when I said haven't you got a record of what has been done he didn't understand what I meant,. Then he said it wasn't covered by the warranty anymore so after trying to explain I gave up and rung off then rung back to get someone else. The next person who was also non British but could speak clearly and understood what had gone on and said that she would arrange an Engineer to come out but as it wasn't under warrant anymore I would have to pay ARRRRG I tried to explain that is still is under warranty but could get no where so I rang off

Does anyone know
    1 if The first person was correct and the warranty was restarted when they changed the boxes as they changed everyone's
    2 When the best time to ring and get a nice Scottish person to talk to.

Ok this can be quite common, the issue is simply down to what part of the screen you look at, every change you make or product you start gets its own start date and each offer shows an end date. I have got confused sometimes looking at accounts and trying to decipher box replacements but basically they may be looking at the wrong product on screen. For instance I look at the remote control instillation start date for an indication the whether the box was replaced as the Start date of the box and the remote should not be different.

If it was replaced due to a 'recall' for being a funky box then yes you get a brand new 12 month warranty as far as my experience has told me. If they do replace the box during your warranty you should receive a 3 month extension which in your case would be very useful since your warranty expires at the end of the month.

As for getting a nice scottish accent, thanks I will be in tomorrow :P

But seriously, best time to call is probably between 8-9PM as this is usually fairly quiet and anytime I conference with the Tech Dept they are only 30 seconds or less to get through.

Hope this clarifies things.
  • Options
    koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Ok this can be quite common, the issue is simply down to what part of the screen you look at, every change you make or product you start gets its own start date and each offer shows an end date. I have got confused sometimes looking at accounts and trying to decipher box replacements but basically they may be looking at the wrong product on screen. For instance I look at the remote control instillation start date for an indication the whether the box was replaced as the Start date of the box and the remote should not be different.

If it was replaced due to a 'recall' for being a funky box then yes you get a brand new 12 month warranty as far as my experience has told me. If they do replace the box during your warranty you should receive a 3 month extension which in your case would be very useful since your warranty expires at the end of the month.

As for getting a nice scottish accent, thanks I will be in tomorrow :P

But seriously, best time to call is probably between 8-9PM as this is usually fairly quiet and anytime I conference with the Tech Dept they are only 30 seconds or less to get through.

Hope this clarifies things.

Yes this is what I was told by the extremely nice Scotish girl but the not very nice non British ones are denying, think I will call back at the times you suggest
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm assuming this was part of the Pace recall. Everyone who allowed their box to be exchanged was given a new 12month warranty, and if as you said it was swopped in February then you are indeed entitled to a free call out. If you keep getting through to the overseas call centre then ask to be put through to the cancellations department and they will sort it out for you.