Been on a Show.. Do you have any TV Show secrets?

RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you have any TV Show secrets?

For example..

Have you been on 60 Minute Makeover.. Does it really take 60 minutes?

Masterchef, are Greg and John ever in the same room and how do they keep the meal warm when you`re the 6th contestant, how come the judges are never `full` after their 3rd meal?

Deal or No Deal, if the contestants are picked at random.. how come the relatives are already in position?

Eggheads, can you see CJ and Daphnie and co when it`s your turn to answer?

X Factor.. are you told to cheer even when the artist is Crap?

Come on.. lets here some gossip. ;)

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the studios at Granada.
    I was surprised how small they were and how few audience seats there were for "game shows,"
    which was never so apparent on TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see some gameshows being made a few years ago and it was very boring. All of us in the audience had to clap, shout and yell for what seemed like hours and then do it all again when they said we weren't loud enough.

Me being me refused to join in with their shinnanegans. :mad:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The relatives AREN'T in position on Deal Or No Deal until after the name comes up. There's this thing in TV you may have heard of called 'editing', it's quite handy...especially on Deal Or No Deal where they create much more tension with the editing than there is in the studio. They fake very long pauses by cutting to shots of the audience, other players etc. that are all in the same moment, making it longer. Something else as well, they film the audience before the game even starts and record faked reactions (cheers, gasps, stunned silences etc.) so they can paste them in whenever they want. Of course there are genuine gasps throughout the recording but you can't guarantee having the cameras on the audience at the right time to get the reactions. Welcome to the world of TV :)

60 Minute Makeover DOES take 60 minutes but it's not one single hour it's done over, there are breaks (mainly due to the filming, btw there's nothing saying little bits where they're talking to people have to be within those 60 minutes...). Also, much of the groundwork is done before the 60 minutes starts really. And you've got loads of people working at once, it's surprising how much can be done in that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randy wrote: »
    Masterchef, are Greg and John ever in the same room and how do they keep the meal warm when you`re the 6th contestant, how come the judges are never `full` after their 3rd meal?

they are in the same room, yes! No, the meals aren't kept warm, I guess by number 6 the food is cold as there is tonnes of filming done with each contestant which isn't shown after they taste, asking lots of questions to the contestant. They just eat a mouthful each - then the contestant takes it back and as they break the filming, all the other contestants jump in and taste it ;)

Greg is just like he is on TV, but John is softer in real life, not quite so much the pantomime villain he can sometimes seem when giving criticism.

The year I was a contestant (new series number 2 where Peter won) it was filmed in an old arts centre which was going to be knocked down and everything - including the walls was a set. The wall tiles were plastic but very realistic looking.

And boy......you get through a lot of haribo type sweets whilst they are making decisions. You can eat what you fancy from the jars in the seating area you see contestants sitting in.

The ironic thing was - I thought the food they served us was rubbish!! Lol.....haute cuisine it was not - sloppy lasagne and crisps was normal! :D
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now this is what i`m talkin about.. keep em comin.

I know on X Factor they make it look like they interview the guest stars after the show.. but you can see the audience are still there and the floor staff are keepin them quiet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually thinking about it.... I was in Hollywood in the 80s and we went to see aTV show being recorded, that was bad enough but to make it worse they actually locked us in the studio until they had finished. It was a rubbish show too. Might have liked to have escaped.
  • CrazySingerGalCrazySingerGal Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I've been on Sainsburys Choir of the Year with Howard Goodall. Would have been in 2000 and we were instructed to shout and cheer to the camera. I think it was shown at christmas or something.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    The 'casting couch' is terrible for all these reality shows.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I've seen the studios at Granada.
    I was surprised how small they were and how few audience seats there were for "game shows,"
    which was never so apparent on TV.

Same with most shows. The X Factor studio is apparently a lot smaller than it looks on-screen.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was backstage at the The One Show once and I can reveal that Christine Bleakley is a bloke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Wolverhampton to watch Michael Barrymore's 'My Kind of People' (or was it Music?). For anyone who didn't watch the show, he used to tour up and down the country, usually in shopping centres and get people to show off 'talents' like music or singing, or just arse'ing around. He used to join in larking about and pulling faces sometimes.
    This time he was a right boring ****, didn't move or even smile. The only time we did move was to take a jacket off and sign autographs that people handed over to his security. I've still got mine somewhere, probrably in the loft. He didn't introduce it or end it, in fact he never went near the stage.

Ohh have another, not me but my grandmothers neighbours went on Kilroy long long ago and said he and the production staff were very unpleasant. The subject was about debt and they were the main feature on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to watch both the X Factor and Britain's got talent auditions, and before it starts, they film the audience three times cheering, a cry of "off, off, off" and another of us all raising to our feet in admiration.
  • richardwdsrichardwds Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Parkinson show was recorded as live.
  • coldoasiscoldoasis Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The relatives AREN'T in position on Deal Or No Deal until after the name comes up. There's this thing in TV you may have heard of called 'editing', it's quite handy...especially on Deal Or No Deal where they create much more tension with the editing than there is in the studio. They fake very long pauses by cutting to shots of the audience, other players etc. that are all in the same moment, making it longer. Something else as well, they film the audience before the game even starts and record faked reactions (cheers, gasps, stunned silences etc.) so they can paste them in whenever they want. Of course there are genuine gasps throughout the recording but you can't guarantee having the cameras on the audience at the right time to get the reactions. Welcome to the world of TV :)

60 Minute Makeover DOES take 60 minutes but it's not one single hour it's done over, there are breaks (mainly due to the filming, btw there's nothing saying little bits where they're talking to people have to be within those 60 minutes...). Also, much of the groundwork is done before the 60 minutes starts really. And you've got loads of people working at once, it's surprising how much can be done in that time.

Sorry but no way is 60 minute makeover done in an hour
    Yes there may be lots of people helping but they would just get in each others way

And what about paint/paste having time to dry before they hang curtains etc

Sorry but NO for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in the audience for Countdown and the only thing that surprised me was when they switched to the numbers round, recording would stop for a minute whilst a couple of blokes came on swapped round the letters board for the numbers one.

Although it did provide the odd cheap laugh, Jeff asking the contestants to pick their numbers, then you would hear "I'll have one from the top and....oh crap", but apparently everyone does it. :cool:
  • TidleeTidlee Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Bargain Hunt and you do only get an hour to choose your items, but they do all the filming afterwards. And your "expert" has already had a good look and tries to direct you to what they think you should buy.

I had thought it would be fun, but actually it was really boring - mainly waiting around doing nothing. It was an experience, but I'd never bother to do anything like that again.
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to watch both the X Factor and Britain's got talent auditions, and before it starts, they film the audience three times cheering, a cry of "off, off, off" and another of us all raising to our feet in admiration.

Nice :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    When I was younger I was on an episode of "Top Banana"

The 30 minute show took about 6 hours to record and they even recorded the competition parts of the show several times even if it meant that different people won the prizes and it was only the winners that were broadcast who got the prizes which seemed quite unfair if you'd actually come out on top the first time round.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're certainly in the same room when you see them standing next to each other. And they don't get full because they obviously don't eat the full meals, just taste them.
    Deal or No Deal, if the contestants are picked at random.. how come the relatives are already in position?
    This is easy; they're not even remotely picked at random.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked out DOND didn't pick contestants at random on the 1st Valentines Day show. The contestant was an absolute stunner. I can't remember her name now but I can still remember that amazing smile!
    There was no way it was a coincedence that she was picked on Valentines Day.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked out DOND didn't pick contestants at random on the 1st Valentines Day show. The contestant was an absolute stunner. I can't remember her name now but I can still remember that amazing smile!
    There was no way it was a coincedence that she was picked on Valentines Day.

Yeah the producers obviously don't pick the people at random but to the contestants it's still random, they don't know when it's gonna be their turn until their name comes up, but there is a long enough break after the name comes up until the player starts playing.
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to New York in 2001 and went on a tour of the NBC studios and got to see where Conan O'Brien and Rosie O'Donnell taped their shows. The studios were tiny compared to how they look on TV. O'Donnell used to buy every audience member a present and left them under the seats before each show!

Not sure whether they still do these tours but well worth a visit if you're in NYC.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Blue Peter garden is absolutely tiny. I couldn't believe how small it was. They said they tend to use a lot of high angles to try and make it look a bit bigger.

Have they got rid of it now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coldoasis wrote: »
    Sorry but no way is 60 minute makeover done in an hour
    Yes there may be lots of people helping but they would just get in each others way

And what about paint/paste having time to dry before they hang curtains etc

Sorry but NO for me

Someone had a makeover near me and it is actually all done in 60 mins, obviously things like fitting a gas fire and plumbing in are done after but all the decorating etc is done within that time frame. They are there from early morning clearing out the house etc but I can definitely say that it is a 60 min job :)
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaggs wrote: »
    When I was younger I was on an episode of "Top Banana"

The 30 minute show took about 6 hours to record and they even recorded the competition parts of the show several times even if it meant that different people won the prizes and it was only the winners that were broadcast who got the prizes which seemed quite unfair if you'd actually come out on top the first time round.

Was that the show where the contestants had to choose between a hard question and an easy one?