Options

PlusNet?

Comments

• Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well lets see how good there customer service is.

Have been with o2 for years, only had one minor problem, solved Very Quickly.
    Also a great price and speed.

Decide to move to Plusnet.

Did it online, got a good package and price, change over went ok, i was :)

But started having drop outs :mad::cry:
    thought just give it chance, may need settle in.

But no that didnt help, contacted them, went through the usual checks, and told them i had no issues when with o2 with the line etc...

Was put through to technical, said they would watch it.
    All i got was a e.mail sayings its ok :mad: well no its not because its still doing it :mad:
    will be on phone again to them tomorrow, see what they come up with.

All staff have been nice people, but not much good if its not getting sorted.
    Rant over ... :D

Wish openreach would hurry with that fibre.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are lucky in that the cabinets are already enabled, so we will be able to get fibre when we move to Plusnet.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with them a while now. Their customer service is really good, I must say. I paid a year up front for my landline, which was about £130, and I got 12 months unlimited broadband for £4.99 a month. Very cheap, and so far so good.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    They are generally very good. I'm one of their top referrers and have many satisfied customers.
    I also get free telephony and they pay me on top... which is nice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    I've been with them a while now. Their customer service is really good, I must say. I paid a year up front for my landline, which was about £130, and I got 12 months unlimited broadband for £4.99 a month. Very cheap, and so far so good.

We are going to pay "up front" for the landline and it will be £9.99 a month for the fibre optic and Anytime phone calls.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    We are going to pay "up front" for the landline and it will be £9.99 a month for the fibre optic and Anytime phone calls.

Are you sure? a quick gander at their web site suggests it's £14.99 for the first 3 months as anytime phone calls is an extra 5 quid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you are right. When the three months is up we will pay £24.99 a month. At the moment the BT (without anytime phone calls) is £42 (ish) a month!
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Of course you are right. When the three months is up we will pay £24.99 a month. At the moment the BT (without anytime phone calls) is £42 (ish) a month!

Don't forget if you spend more than an hour on the phone you pay for the call, you can hang up and call back and that's fine,
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they are good.
    My client has phone from BT and BB from Plusnet. he wanted to up his internet and get fibre however his BT line and calls was expensive.
    The best deal was unlimited fibre and phone all from plus net plus a £5 calls package and paying his line a year in advance. I worked he would be saving over £130 a year .
    Arranging the switch over was easy and simple because he is disabled and has 24/7 care we had to make sure his BT line went just after the Fibre/phone was installed as he cannot be without a phone especially porting the number across.
    Hopefully this weekend at work everything should be hunkydory - if not i'll be in trouble..but I did make it clear to his mum that if they went ahead with it that it was up to him and her, i'm not being held responsible. i just crunched the maths.
    The only thing annoying him now is the whole BT sports and sky thing, as he has sky and pays a fortune for that and wants bt sports but resents having to pay sky further money- i did point out he would save extra money if he went with sky for all of the above and if he got bt sports combined but he said no...
    Only if his street was virgin ready.. but its not..it would have been all a lot cheaper for what he wants
    2 other people I know have been with plus net - there has only been 2 mistakes in over a year that is all.
    Ive got virgin reasonable bill price but to be honest i could easily loose the tv package and just have fibre BB and a line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin is not here on the Island. Wightfibre have the monopoly of cable = they used to be Wightcable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to find a cheaper alternative to Virgin for my BB and phone line and would even consider ditching my landline if a Mobile and BB deal is cheaper. But 2 or 3 weeks ago I entered my postcode and phone number into the Plusnet website and it told me that BB wasn't available in my area despite having Virgin fibre optic BB for about 6 years. I called the help line and was told sorry there's a fault on the website but I tried it again yesterday and it's still the same! So it looks like Plusnet have lost a potential customer.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had Plusnet for 3 1/2 years now and very few issues mainly with internal wireing coming losse or ADSL filter truble ect if anything.
    I am now moving to Plusnet's FTTC unlimited, as the pack I was on was so close in price it was unreal, but the pack is now 3 1/2 years old at least!
    I would totally recomend it to anyone!
    Oh and my ADSL line speeds are DL 4-5Mbps and UL 0.8Mbps but like I said I will be on FTTC soon in about a week in fact.
  • Options
    baldtonybaldtony Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    We've been with Plusnet BB for years now and never had a single issue. They've been great.
    I pay £17 a month for 60Gb, which was the old gaming service. Seems you can't get this anymore, but all the other offers seem a lot better value. Is it worth switching to one of their other packages? We use the 60Gb up quite frequently with games and On Demand stuff. They are going to start charging the £1.50 extra from October.

We also have Sky TV(sports & movies), and paid the line rental for the whole year to BT(10 months left). Possibly the least cost efficient setup it's possible to have.
    No fibre or FTTC available in the area, and not until late 2014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baldtony wrote: »
    We've been with Plusnet BB for years now and never had a single issue. They've been great.
    I pay £17 a month for 60Gb, which was the old gaming service. Seems you can't get this anymore, but all the other offers seem a lot better value. Is it worth switching to one of their other packages? We use the 60Gb up quite frequently with games and On Demand stuff. They are going to start charging the £1.50 extra from October.

We also have Sky TV(sports & movies), and paid the line rental for the whole year to BT(10 months left). Possibly the least cost efficient setup it's possible to have.
    No fibre or FTTC available in the area, and not until late 2014

why not try PlusNet's Unlimited ADSL then:
    with phone:
    https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/unlimited/

without phone:

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/unlimited/broadband-only/

The ADSL is the top one on each page and as you will see its actually cheaper if you have the phone!
    They will give you the offer price even though you are an existing customer, they did for me when I asked to be upgraded to FTTC Unlimited, just give them a call or do the order online.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed on plusnet when I first got fibre it was 80 Meg then each month it drops 2 Meg. don't know why and when I ask plusnet why the decrease after a months use they say well its still above the 60 Meg estimate so we will not investigate. even though I am 40 steps from the cab. I Have even had a BT engineer look into it and they said I am being capped because of the lower cost compared to BT (who own and supply the fibre)
  • Options
    kandrews8098kandrews8098 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I have noticed on plusnet when I first got fibre it was 80 Meg then each month it drops 2 Meg. don't know why and when I ask plusnet why the decrease after a months use they say well its still above the 60 Meg estimate so we will not investigate. even though I am 40 steps from the cab. I Have even had a BT engineer look into it and they said I am being capped because of the lower cost compared to BT (who own and supply the fibre)

I'm with plusnet and got 78meg for the first week or so and it gradually dropped to 63meg but now increased back to 75.2, my estimate is 54meg. What IP profile do you get http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then following theadditional diagnostic test. This will give you an indication of your sync speed to the cabinate from the OpenReach modem (plusnet have no control of this on fibre) Its most likely DLM kicking in to stabilising the line.

Just a quick note, 'BT Retail who supply 'BT Infinity' are a different company to BT Wholesale, and BT OpenReach, all part off the BT group but operate independently. Plusnet are also part of the BT Group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with plusnet and got 78meg for the first week or so and it gradually dropped to 63meg but now increased back to 75.2, my estimate is 54meg. What IP profile do you get http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then following theadditional diagnostic test. This will give you an indication of your sync speed to the cabinate from the OpenReach modem (plusnet have no control of this on fibre) Its most likely DLM kicking in to stabilising the line.

Just a quick note, 'BT Retail who supply 'BT Infinity' are a different company to BT Wholesale, and BT OpenReach, all part off the BT group but operate independently. Plusnet are also part of the BT Group.

That bt wholesale speed tester doesnt seem to work for me, it throws up low speeds compaired to speedtest.net, where I got this speed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2957075285 , also it couldnt do further diagnostics.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I've been with PN for a while it works fine although the supplied routers are a bit feeble on the wifi. A few monthly minutes of free BT wifi roaming at motorway service stations and airports would be a nice bonus though....:(

I posted something about that on the plusnet forums a while back. Linky
  • Options
    kandrews8098kandrews8098 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    That bt wholesale speed tester doesnt seem to work for me, it throws up low speeds compaired to speedtest.net, where I got this speed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2957075285 , also it couldnt do further diagnostics.

Try this http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker this should get your sync speed from BT's servers, if it doesn't then I'd post on plusnet's own forums, Plusnet will not be able to set your profile properly if your line isn't updating BT's bras profile. It could all be part of the issue you seem to have with speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try this http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker this should get your sync speed from BT's servers, if it doesn't then I'd post on plusnet's own forums, Plusnet will not be able to set your profile properly if your line isn't updating BT's bras profile. It could all be part of the issue you seem to have with speed.

thanks, I got this message though:
    Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
    Debug: BT no BRAS info

Enter landline number:

Data For: 0**********
    Exchange: ****************
    BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 4587
    BE LLU: Activated
    Real Error: Migration code required for this number
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that site no longer exists now
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »

FWIW, a while ago I was considering switching to Plus Net. I asked around here and elsewhere, and got some positive impressions. Then I looked deeper, doing my own research, and basically concluded that once they have you contracted, if there's a problem then PlusNet are not reliable.

Instead, I stayed with Zen, waiting and waiting for them to come up with a fibre optic package at a price I could live with. Today, I've had it plumbed in, exactly when it was supposed to be. Small configuration issues were quickly sorted out between me, the BT engineer and a tech support fellow at Zen. I'm now getting just short of 30gig download speeds in the first hour, before the line settles down. I'm told that it will end up being something over 30gig, with a theoretical max of 44gig. Lightning, compared to the ADSL I had yesterday. It's already something like ten times faster than my previous max speed!

I cannot recommend Zen highly enough. Yes, it costs more than many ISPS, but the old saying is so true, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! I'd rather have a reliable ISP. I also put my phones through Zen, as they don't charge simply for connecting, which BT do every time you use your phone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FWIW, a while ago I was considering switching to Plus Net. I asked around here and elsewhere, and got some positive impressions. Then I looked deeper, doing my own research, and basically concluded that once they have you contracted, if there's a problem then PlusNet are not reliable.

Instead, I stayed with Zen, waiting and waiting for them to come up with a fibre optic package at a price I could live with. Today, I've had it plumbed in, exactly when it was supposed to be. Small configuration issues were quickly sorted out between me, the BT engineer and a tech support fellow at Zen. I'm now getting just short of 30gig download speeds in the first hour, before the line settles down. I'm told that it will end up being something over 30gig, with a theoretical max of 44gig. Lightning, compared to the ADSL I had yesterday. It's already something like ten times faster than my previous max speed!

I cannot recommend Zen highly enough. Yes, it costs more than many ISPS, but the old saying is so true, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! I'd rather have a reliable ISP. I also put my phones through Zen, as they don't charge simply for connecting, which BT do every time you use your phone!

do you not mean 30Mbps and 44Mbps as I dont even think that FTTP/H is at 30gig and 44gig speeds yet?

Oh and as for PlusNet not being reliable, I think that wouldve been a few unhappy customers who had a bad experiance, maybe because their line was just bad. I have been with Plusnet for nearly 4 years now and they have never been a problem.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Well lets see how good there customer service is.

Have been with o2 for years, only had one minor problem, solved Very Quickly.
    Also a great price and speed.

Decide to move to Plusnet.

Did it online, got a good package and price, change over went ok, i was :)

But started having drop outs :mad::cry:
    thought just give it chance, may need settle in.

But no that didnt help, contacted them, went through the usual checks, and told them i had no issues when with o2 with the line etc...

Was put through to technical, said they would watch it.
    All i got was a e.mail sayings its ok :mad: well no its not because its still doing it :mad:
    will be on phone again to them tomorrow, see what they come up with.

Rant over ... :D

Wish openreach would hurry with that fibre.

Got a engineer booked tomorrow morning to check adsl dropouts.

FTTC should be available to me oct 2013 - march 2014
    Will ask engineer in morning if they have anymore info.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    do you not mean 30Mbps and 44Mbps

Yes, that was what I meant. In a flush of excitement and enthusiasm, I typed gb instead of Mbps..
    I have been with Plusnet for nearly 4 years now and they have never been a problem.

While not disputing that for an instant, I must say that when I researched it, I didn't have to go too deep before I found not one or two disgruntled people, which you'd expect with any ISP, but pages of them.