Options

Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement within the hour

MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at the live pictures from Ferguson on CNN and listening to Anderson Cooper & guests.

Anybody else watching this?
Looks like a powder keg situation.

Comments

• Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on it too. I don't know if I can stay awake much longer though. They said 9pm ET, which is about 3am isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Announcement in 40 minutes.
    It's looking very tense.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on it too. I don't know if I can stay awake much longer though. They said 9pm ET, which is about 3am isn't it?

2am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports suggest no indictment against officer Darren Wilson.

With so many people on the streets in Ferguson, this could turn ugly.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Seeing as I'm suffering insomnia again, I might as well see how this plays out.

http://fox2now.com/on-air/live-streaming/
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Mudbox wrote: »
    2am

Ah, thank you. I can hang on until then.

I think all hell is going to be let loose, if it's not what they want to hear.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict a riot.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Hoping for everything to work out for the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama is winging it. He hasn't got a clue. Dear me.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cover up. No reforms will take place in the town now based on the back off this. Like nothing happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Cover up. No reforms will take place in the town now based on the back off this. Like nothing happened.

How is that. The grand jury decided this.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    they only seem mad because the police officer is white. they dont riot when black people (including black police) shoot and kill eachother which happens every day there :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

The grand jury is seen as a massive cop out. It shouldn't have been thrown over to a grand jury in the opinion of many. A probable cause decision should have been made without one. Now they can pass the buck to the anonymous grand jury and so deflect any blame for this decision.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Menoetius wrote: »
    The grand jury is seen as a massive cop out. It shouldn't have have been thrown over to a grand jury in the opinion of many. A probable cause decision should have been made without one. Now they can pass the buck to the anonymous grand jury and so deflect any blame for this decision.

how can they avoid a grand jury ? isn't that an integral part of the legal system in the US ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    how can they avoid a grand jury ? isn't that an integral part of the legal system in the US ?

This didn't need to go to a grand jury by all accounts, due to probable cause. A decision could have been made to indict the officer but there are concerns that this route was taken so that the powers that be could be absolved of any blame for this decision.

I'm no expert but this is what the news anchors and commentators have been saying.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Oh lordy!

Of all the things people could be getting bent out of shape over, at the moment, why oh why does it have to be the whole "Eval cop shot anuda bruva" thing that causes trouble?

Sure, get all upset that you live in a society where, upon seeing a kid with a gun in a playground, a cop might think the worst and then do something terrible or get upset about the fact that authorities, and the laws they follow, don't require that a prosecution is made but, seriously, racism?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Oh lordy!

Of all the things people could be getting bent out of shape over, at the moment, why oh why does it have to be the whole "Eval cop shot anuda bruva" thing that causes trouble?

Sure, get all upset that you live in a society where, upon seeing a kid with a gun in a playground, a cop might think the worst and then do something terrible or get upset about the fact that authorities, and the laws they follow, don't require that a prosecution is made but, seriously, racism?

Different case Si:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Literally worse than Zimmerman...
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The smug prosecutor was basically arguing the defendant's case for him, so there was nobody presenting the grand jury the argument that there should be a trial. They had no choice really. If the prosecutor is part of the the cover up and the grand jury proceedings are private, then they can bury the case and blame it on the grand jury by intentionally failing to present any argument against the police officer. For the system to work it depends on the prosecutor actually trying to prosecute murderers.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Different case Si:confused:

Sorry, that wasn't particularly clear.

Was just making the point that, in the current climate, yanks probably do have justifiable grievances about the way cops are held to account and the casual way lethal force is used but it's always the whole "cop shot a bruva" thing that causes the unrest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they should publish the evidence that was heard during the grand jury hearing in full. in fact they probably should have published it already when they announced no charges so the public read and inform themselves of the only real evidence thats been heard so far instead of letting the rumors continue
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    they should publish the evidence that was heard during the grand jury hearing in full. in fact they probably should have published it already when they announced no charges so the public read and inform themselves of the only real evidence thats been heard so far instead of letting the rumors continue

I think they are doing. That's what the guy who read out the findings said anyway. He was questioned as to why he said he was going to do this and he answered that there would inevitably be calls for that to happen so they decided ahead of time that upon making the announcement they would then release everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I think they are doing. That's what the guy who read out the findings said anyway. He was questioned as to why he said he was going to do this and he answered that there would inevitably be calls for that to happen so they decided ahead of time that upon making the announcement they would then release everything.

ah right. i'm guessing the people rioting didnt even bother to read it :kitty:
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been following this story...is this verdict from the grand jury just based on the evidence and just unpopular or is it a travesty?