Options

Time travel and time loop films

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    There's a graphic on Primer's wiki page that explains its time travel premise. Once that is understood, the film is a lot easier to follow.

Thanks for that. Primer seems to be one that has very mixed reviews. I might read what you have suggested here before I give it a go. :p
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    For a time travel rather than time loop film, try G. I. Samurai from 1979. Sonny Chiba and his modern-day platoon go back to the samurai era and fight them with tanks, helicopters etc. One of my favourite movies for the entertainment value. In Japanese with English subtitles.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here some from my IMDB list not in the thread

95ers: Time Runners (2013)
    A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995) this hard to find but was on TV ages ago
    Back to the Future most must have seen and on all list
    Black Knight (2001)
    Blast from the Past (1999)
    Click (2006)
    Crusade in Jeans (2006)
    Donnie Darko (2001)
    Forever Young (1992)
    Goodnight Sweetheart (1993 TV Series)
    Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
    Kate & Leopold (2001)
    Midnight in Paris (2011)
    Primeval (2007 TV Series) This on Watch channel Now I think
    Seven Days (1998 TV Series)
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    The Butterfly Effect (2004)
    The Final Countdown (1980)
    The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)
    The Time Shifters (1999 TV Movie)
    The Time Traveller's Wife (2009)
    Timeline (2003)
    Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982)
    Timestalkers (1987 TV Movie) again hard to find but might be on a channel like movies 24 or More > Movies
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here some from my IMDB list not in the thread

Timestalkers (1987 TV Movie) again hard to find but might be on a channel like movies 24 or More > Movies

There is quite a good copy on youtube at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
    Is here to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53ymasoW9w

I will grab a copy in case it gets deleted its decent copy.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
    Is here to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53ymasoW9w

I will grab a copy in case it gets deleted its decent copy.

Reminds me, The Spaceman and King Aurthur.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Triangle
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sliding Doors
    Memento
    Blind Chance
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I am half watching hot tub time machine..meh better watched on a Sunday morning lazy or hangover day..anyway on a more thread fitting film for this topic...would Cloud Atlas be considered a time loop kind of film? I suppose it is in a way..various events joining up...its a strange one, one of my 'keeper' films..I might get the bluray..rfonzo..yeah momento is a great film..I find myself trying to imagine myself in that situation..not possible really of course:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stargate ( James Spader was in it and Kurt Russell )
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that. Primer seems to be one that has very mixed reviews. I might read what you have suggested here before I give it a go. :p

Primer is quite difficult to follow, but it probably has one of the forms of time travel that could perhaps be possible. As sci-fi goes, its on the "hard" category, meaning it is not for everyone.

Personally, I did have to go and read a bunch of dedicated websites to it after seeing it. It helped get the whole concept and storyline into perspective. I think it is one of those stories that you can't just watch and understand. It requires a lot of rewatches and deconstruction to fully appreciate the intent.

It is certainly a film ONLY for hardcore science fiction fans, though. If you don't want to wrack your brain for hours afterwards, trying to make and or tail of it, its not for you. I'm a big SF fan and even for me, it was quite a chore. I did enjoy it a lot, but part of that was because it really stretched me and made it difficult top grasp - exactly as such a concept would really be to most people.

But I can certainly understand and appreciate why a lot of people would hate it. Much the same as why most people would be bored to tears watching a documentary on advanced quantum mechanics. For most people, that ain't fun!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Stargate ( James Spader was in it and Kurt Russell )

No time travel or time loop in the original Stargate film.

(the TV series is another matter)
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Primer is quite difficult to follow, but it probably has one of the forms of time travel that could perhaps be possible. As sci-fi goes, its on the "hard" category, meaning it is not for everyone.

Personally, I did have to go and read a bunch of dedicated websites to it after seeing it. It helped get the whole concept and storyline into perspective. I think it is one of those stories that you can't just watch and understand. It requires a lot of rewatches and deconstruction to fully appreciate the intent.

It is certainly a film ONLY for hardcore science fiction fans, though. If you don't want to wrack your brain for hours afterwards, trying to make and or tail of it, its not for you. I'm a big SF fan and even for me, it was quite a chore. I did enjoy it a lot, but part of that was because it really stretched me and made it difficult top grasp - exactly as such a concept would really be to most people.

But I can certainly understand and appreciate why a lot of people would hate it. Much the same as why most people would be bored to tears watching a documentary on advanced quantum mechanics. For most people, that ain't fun!

For me, most of what you said makes Primer a great time travel movie.

It is difficult to grasp but that's the appeal of it. Multiple viewings, researching the events online. If ever a film stays with you, Primer is it.

Beautifully hard going. Coupled with the fact it was made for $7k and most of it is one take! It's quite an achievement...
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned Time Bandits. A classic Gilliam movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes forgot all about that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what about Vanilla Sky ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how can i forget about The Langoliers
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    back to the future
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Seen a couple recently that weren't too bad

Predestination

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

Time Lapse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/

I watched both of these over two nights and my brain was frazzled lol. Very good films, although predestination takes it a bit too far!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who figured out Predestination about halfway through? It was a great film, of course, but knowing it was a time travel film and the gaps in the story at that point, it sort of spoilered itself in a way.

Primer's definitely my favourite though, along with Timecop. There was a great TV series called Seven Days that had lots of paradoxes and oddities hidden in a standard 'time police' type show.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who figured out Predestination about halfway through? It was a great film, of course, but knowing it was a time travel film and the gaps in the story at that point, it sort of spoilered itself in a way.

You're not the only one, but the fun lies with seeing whether the film could make it work or plausible.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the film with Ashton Kutcher? The only film of his I've seen and was actually pretty good.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the film with Ashton Kutcher? The only film of his I've seen and was actually pretty good.

The Butterfly Effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dr who..i know it aint a film, but still :D
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites not mentioned is 'Somewhere In Time' with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

Also, another vote for 'Time After Time' in which HG Wells goes after Jack The Ripper in present day San Francisco!