Will the UK media count a Julianne Moore Oscar as a "British Win"?

DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
Forum Member
I was looking at the SAG results and remembered that Julianne Moore has had British citizenship for a few years and yet wasn't mentioned along with the other five British nominees. Any chance the media will suddenly remember this if she wins the Oscar?

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't her mother Scottish?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I sort of get what you mean in that the British media do single out any British connection. Not sure if other nations do the same.

I can't imagine the US media talk up people like Anthony Hopkins for being an adopted Yank.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they count the country you were born in or raised in as your first and foremost nationality. Julianne Moore only became a british citizenship back in 2011, to honor her mother's memory.

Nicole Kidman was born in the US, but lived and was raised in Australia. Her parents are australian, and were on a temporary educational visa when she was born. She never became a US citizen until she married Tom Cruise. Plus she holds the honor for being the very first australian actress to have won an oscar.

Angela Lansbury is British, but also has an American and Irish citizenship, but is still regarded and credited as British.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd always assumed she was Roger Moore's daughter, so she always had English nationality.

I now know this to be wrong however. :D I think if she's born American the media wouldn't bother trying to spin it as a busy win.

The only adopted American actress I can think of, who is actually seen as British, is Gillian Anderson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd always assumed she was Roger Moore's daughter, so she always had English nationality.

I now know this to be wrong however. :D I think if she's born American the media wouldn't bother trying to spin it as a busy win.

The only adopted American actress I can think of, who is actually seen as British, is Gillian Anderson.

Yeah good example. She's done so many british roles of the last several years, I think people forget she is american. It surprises me she hasn't got a citizenship yet though.
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah good example. She's done so many british roles of the last several years, I think people forget she is american. It surprises me she hasn't got a citizenship yet though.

Hasn't she lived here on and off since she was 8 tho? I would assume she has a duel passport because she works here more than she does in the states. I can't see her visa being purely a work one.
  • DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Elizabeth Taylor's an interesting case. The UK media would always count her as British but to me she always seemed very American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doggyphant wrote: »
    Elizabeth Taylor's an interesting case. The UK media would always count her as British but to me she always seemed very American.

She is an interesting case. Both her parents were american, but she was born and raised in england. From when she the hit big time, she spent most of her time in hollywood and never became a US citizen until she married Richard Burton. Her accent was a mixture of british and american. I think she is very much a combination of both. Not one or the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Hasn't she lived here on and off since she was 8 tho? I would assume she has a duel passport because she works here more than she does in the states. I can't see her visa being purely a work one.

No, not on and off. She was born in the US, but moved in the UK at fifteen months old. Stayed until she was 11 and remained in the US until she finished The X Files. But i agree, i can't see her visa being a purely a work one.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Audrey Hepburn is usually listed as American, but she was British.

There are loads of Canadian actors who're continuously listed as American. Keanu Reeves, Ryan Gosling, William Shatner, Anna Paquin, Jim Carrey, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, Ryan Reynolds, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is an interesting case. Both her parents were american, but she was born and raised in england. From when she the hit big time, she spent most of her time in hollywood and never became a US citizen until she married Richard Burton. Her accent was a mixture of british and american. I think she is very much a combination of both. Not one or the other.

Wikipedia disagrees. She signed an oath of renunciation when she married Burton in 1965 and again in 1966, but had it restored in 1977 when she was married to politician John Warner.
    A dual citizen of the United Kingdom and the United States, she was born British through her birth on British soil and an American citizen through her parents. In October 1965, as her then-husband was British, she signed an oath of renunciation at the U.S. Embassy in Paris, but with the phrase "abjure all allegiance and fidelity to the United States" struck out. U.S. State Department officials declared that her renunciation was invalid due to the alteration and Taylor signed another oath, this time without alteration, in October 1966.[11] She applied for restoration of U.S. citizenship in 1977, during then-husband John Warner's Senate campaign, stating she planned to remain in America for the rest of her life. [12][13]

Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Taylor#Early_life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Audrey Hepburn is usually listed as American, but she was British.

There are loads of Canadian actors who're continuously listed as American. Keanu Reeves, Ryan Gosling, William Shatner, Anna Paquin, Jim Carrey, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, Ryan Reynolds, etc.

If you were being picky I'd point out Audrey Hepburn was born in Brussels, Keanu Reeves in Beirut and Kiefer Sutherland in London, England, as opposed to Ryan Gosling who was born in London, Ontario.

I think pretty much every Canadian actor/actress is assumed to be american unless they only do Canadian films like Gordon Pinsent. Partly because the accent is similar and a lot of "Hollywood" films are made there, but also a lot of Canadian films and TV pass for american like Degrassi or The Next Step.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wikipedia disagrees. She signed an oath of renunciation when she married Burton in 1965 and again in 1966, but had it restored in 1977 when she was married to politician John Warner.

Ahh i see
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    I think they count the country you were born in or raised in as your first and foremost nationality. Julianne Moore only became a british citizenship back in 2011, to honor her mother's memory.

Nicole Kidman was born in the US, but lived and was raised in Australia. Her parents are australian, and were on a temporary educational visa when she was born. She never became a US citizen until she married Tom Cruise. Plus she holds the honor for being the very first australian actress to have won an oscar.

A lot comes down to the actor. Nicole Kidman has stated a few times she doesn't really consider herself American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    If you were being picky I'd point out Audrey Hepburn was born in Brussels, Keanu Reeves in Beirut and Kiefer Sutherland in London, England, as opposed to Ryan Gosling who was born in London, Ontario.

I actually wasn't being picky. Kiefer Sutherland and his twin sister were born to Canadian parents. Audrey Hepburn to British parents, even though both were born outside Britain. Reeves is different as he's technically a TCK, and his mother is English and his father is Hawaiian, but in most interviews, he regards himself as Canadian. Probably due to the fact he mostly grew up there. Launched his acting career there, too (I remember watching one of his early films, too! I feel so old). As far as I can remember, he's never regarded himself as American. And that's what we should respect.

Where you're born doesn't always define your nationality. It's your parents' nationalities and/or where you're raised that define your nationality.

And indeed, where you feel belong. Anthony Hopkins (informally since the 1970s and officially since the 2000s), Rachel Weisz (since the 2000s), Alan Cumming (since the 2000s) and Angela Lansbury (moved to the U.S. at 14) are seen as British, but all regard themselves as American. Same with Irishman Liam Neeson, who nowadays lists himself as Irish American. :D

Edited:
    dee123 wrote: »
    A lot comes down to the actor. Nicole Kidman has stated a few times she doesn't really consider herself American.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually wasn't being picky. Kiefer Sutherland and his twin sister were born to Canadian parents. Audrey Hepburn to British parents, even though both were born outside Britain. Reeves is different as he's technically a TCK, and his mother is English and his father is Hawaiian, but in most interviews, he regards himself as Canadian. Probably due to the fact he mostly grew up there. Launched his acting career there, too (I remember watching one of his early films, too! I feel so old). As far as I can remember, he's never regarded himself as American. And that's what we should respect.

Where you're born doesn't always define your nationality. It's your parents' nationalities and/or where you're raised that define your nationality.

And indeed, where you feel belong. Anthony Hopkins (informally since the 1970s and officially since the 2000s), Rachel Weisz (since the 2000s), Alan Cumming (since the 2000s) and Angela Lansbury (moved to the U.S. at 14) are seen as British, but all regard themselves as American. Same with Irishman Liam Neeson, who nowadays lists himself as Irish American. :D

Out of interest would you count Brendan Fraser as Canadian?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unless you're Irish lol
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Naomi Watts was born in Britain and lived here for her first fourteen years, then moved to Australia. I suppose she could be seen as British as much as she's seen as Australian, even though she now lives in the US.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think accents obviously matter a lot, Moore still mainly known for her Yank acents. Weisz, Mortimer, and Cummings for Brit ones.

Hopkins may have changed over the years, but his speaking voice is still very Welsh,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Out of interest would you count Brendan Fraser as Canadian?

Since I've been aware of his existence since early 1990s (he made a huge debut splash with two films in the same year: California Man and School Ties), I knew him as American because that was how he labelled himself, in spite of his family background, but I'll go with whatever he prefers nowadays.

As I said before, it's up to each person to determine their nationality. Whatever it is, I go with it.
    Unless you're Irish lol

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Naomi Watts was born in Britain and lived here for her first fourteen years, then moved to Australia. I suppose she could be seen as British as much as she's seen as Australian, even though she now lives in the US.

I recall an interview two years ago that she classes herself as a British-Australian
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    A lot comes down to the actor.
    As far as I can remember, he's never regarded himself as American. And that's what we should respect.

Well you've contradicted yourself straightaway.
    Is it down to your parents and where you grew up or down to what the person defines themselves as?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well you've contradicted yourself straightaway.
    Is it down to your parents and where you grew up or down to what the person defines themselves as?

You left this out: "And indeed, where you feel belong."

My point is, it's up to people to decide what their nationalities are.
  • DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Doggyphant wrote: »
    I was looking at the SAG results and remembered that Julianne Moore has had British citizenship for a few years and yet wasn't mentioned along with the other five British nominees. Any chance the media will suddenly remember this if she wins the Oscar?

Well going from the reaction to the BAFTA win the answer's no. However the Scottish media are making a half-hearted stab at it :)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they call that mid-Atlantic.?!?