The Girl Who Waited BBC Three Repeat

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this on BBC Three at 7:45pm. Thoroughly enjoyed the story about two Amys, one of which had aged 36 years. :)

This story felt like Castrovalva, with Peter Davison from 1982. That one I really like to watch now and again. In fact I pretty much love all the stories that had Tegan in them. :D Plus, I prefer Anthony Ainley's Master to Roger Delgado's.

I'm looking forward to seeing The God Complex on Friday. I've seen that before and have got it on the Series 6 Box Set.

I'm a big fan of David Walliams anyway. Love Little Britain, Little Britain USA and Come Fly With Me. Shame that there isn't going to be a second series of Come Fly With Me or a second series of Little Britain USA. Apparently I read on the Internet last week that Matt Lucas doesn't want to do a second series of Come Fly With Me, and David is too busy with Britain's Got Talent. :(

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A beautiful episode and definitely a highlight of S6.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Basically, a classic.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a fan of this episode,feels more of a star trek voyager type tale than dr who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't as keen on this one compared to the rest of s6. I'd still good, but it is just among alot of better ones that I think makes this one feel a bit less than it really is for me.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but although we were supposed to feel sorry for Amy in this episode I just find it really difficult. There is something unsympathetic about her character. I felt more for Rory having to choose at the end.

It did have a 'star trek' sort of vibe about it.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Loved this episode, and it possessed what so much of Moffat-era Who is lacking - heart. I was sad for old Amy, and sadder still for Rory.

The minimalistic cast worked brilliantly - just the three leads and the voice of Imelda Staunton carrying the tale. It could have fallen flat but I really enjoyed it. Series 6B had such variety in its standalone stories, but this was probably my favourite of the bunch (along with LKH) :)
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a straight male, but I stand by the fact that Handbot!Rory is the cutest thing ever.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    For me, a really good example of everything that was wrong with seasons 5 and 6 - overly complicated and a narrative that made it impossible to genuinely connect with any of the characters, particularly the companions.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all S6 it is in my top 3 with TDW and AGMGTW. Yes handbot rory is cute and old amy and the real rory make me want to cry.It was such a weird and sad situation having to chose which version of amy to save. When "our" amy wakes up in the tardis she asks where the older version is. Did they tell her "she" had given up her life and days so rory and her younger self could be together ?. Funny how they ended up with a similar dilema in TATM. Amy gave herself to the angels so her husband wouldn't have to live and die alone. They lost allmost everything else but they allways had eachother as soulmates bless them.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically one of my favourite eps of Nu-Who by far! I know fans and the press generally thought Karen was the standout star of the ep, but I still think Arthur out-acted her throughout. Don't get me wrong, I thought Karen was fab as older Amy, but I just thought Arthur really got the episode and made it work ever so well on the emotional points. Everyone was great in this, but to me he stood out the most. :)

I just think the whole ep is a great one and showed in part how I believe in the modern age a solo male companion could work. Rory and the Doctor in their bits together work ever so well as a team, it's a shame that dynamic didn't get overly explored elsewhere. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship did it greatly but an Amy-lite ep would have brought it out great in my opinion. :D Moff missed a trick!

I just feel now he and Karen have left, we never got to see Rory/Arthur's full potential on the show, but what we got was still great though! :D Episodes like this confirm it to me that Rory is my favourite companion of Nu-Who by far and why out of Amy and him, I miss Rory the most.

Overall, a fab episode with a fab cast! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I never liked this when it first aired but having watched it again I loved it! I loved everything about it - the acting, the torment they go through and the setting... Considering it was only the three (or four if you count Amy twice) acting in it - It was great!
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it so surprising that a lot of people didn't like series 6, I thought it was fantastic. I don't think there was one episode I didn't like.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I find it so surprising that a lot of people didn't like series 6, I thought it was fantastic. I don't think there was one episode I didn't like.

I loved Series 6 as a whole, I just found the pacing and structure to let it down. Opening with a two-parter of such scale made it difficult to care about the following episodes in quite the same way, given all the unresolved plots. Day of the Moon even referred to the events of the episodes that followed as "some adventures" as if they had been relegated to a rank lesser.
    A Good Man Goes To War and The Wedding of River Song tried to cram in far too much. There was no breathing space, as each contained enough ideas to carry half a series. They tried resolving a serialised story arc with a single 45 minute episode, and I think it failed in my opinion.

As a whole though, I loved Series 6. I enjoyed River Song's story, I liked the variety of episodes on offer and I don't know if it is just me, but Series 6 seemed very...colourful. :)
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't look 56, did she! 46, maybe.