Options

Does anyone here like the new Michelle

owen10owen10 Posts: 128,000
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
When i was watching the episode tonight i was wondering. Who is that woman sitting on the bench. And then realised it was Michelle when Sharon was crying and hugging her up. Well i suppose i would have to get used to her

Comments

• Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    Whe i was watching tne episode tonight i was windering who is that woman sitting on the bench. And then realised it was Michelle when Sharon

Aww you should have read the thread.

But no I don't
  • Options
    Hollyoaks14Hollyoaks14 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is good (I have never watched old Michelle so I can't compare)
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Aww you should have read the thread.

But no I don't
    Oh sorry. I did not realise there was another thread
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She only had a couple of lines, too early to tell
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For God's sake people give her a chance.

I have watched as a young teenager from day one and I am willing to see how things develop - look at Mark for example or how a walking pile of super-excrement replaced the layered human being that was once the Philth in the late 90's.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's early days, hope people give her a chance.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    Oh sorry. I did not realise there was another thread

I meant the spoiler thread announcing her arrival :D
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I like her. Or at least I'm going to give her a chance.

Am loving SOC's work so far. But Dot being all alone broke my heart. When she started hearing the voices from the past I was sure they were going to kill her.

Michelle will be good for Sharon Ian and Martin and maybe Mark will return too so it's all good in my book.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am loving SOC's work so far. But Dot being all alone broke my heart. When she started hearing the voices from the past I was sure they were going to kill her.

Michelle will be good for Sharon Ian and Martin and maybe Mark will return too so it's all good in my book.

Vicky too hopefully (maybe with a Mongolian accent). Bring on the Age of the Fowlers!

Good first impression for me.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    She only had a couple of lines, too early to tell

Exactly this.

Whether you have,seen, oe remember the original or not, it is far too early to juudge the recast.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,218
    Forum Member
    Don't know she had like 2 lines. I'll decide when she's been in it longer.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    She sat on Arthur's bench and stared at Pauline's house. It was obvious it was Michelle from that point (for people who didn't read the spoiler).

I liked her return, it wasn't TOO underplayed but wasn't a dramatic entrance either. Just right.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Finally after 6/7 Months we have seen comments made by Sean O'Connor and it took a Michelle Fowler return for it to happen, I wonder will it June/July before we hear from him again? :D
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Not watched the episode yet but got to give her a chance. I thought the new Martin was awful originally but he's now my favourite. Need to wait and see I think.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DELETED
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, she's had less than a minute's screen time, give her a chance folks :D

First impressions - good. Michelle was a great character, so it's great she's back, even with a re cast (very brave of the producers btw). I only hope the writing is consistent with how her character used to be - takes no shit but is prone to royally messing things up every now and then.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone saying 'give her a chance' doesn't understand tv or serial shows. Simple as that

They've never sunk lower than this. Am I'm disgusted, and very very sad
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Anyone saying 'give her a chance' doesn't understand tv or serial shows. Simple as that

Speaking as somebody that not only watched EE from the start but had watched Sue Tully in Grange Hiil for 5 years prior to that and is much the same age as her characters so really did grow up with her, why is it worse than any other recast?

Recasts aren't desireable, ever but are sometimes necessary in a continuing drama which spands decades.

To me Michelle waa Tully but it's been 20 years and sorry,I think we do need to give it a chance.

This is less of an issue to me than Kathy returning from the dead. And I loved Kathy.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Speaking as somebody that not only watched EE from the start but had watched Sue Tully in Grange Hiil for 5 years prior to that and is much the same age as her characters so really did grow up with her, why is it worse than any other recast?

Recasts aren't desireable, ever but are sometimes necessary in a continuing drama which spands decades.

To me Michelle waa Tully but it's been 20 years and sorry,I think we do need to give it a chance.

This is less of an issue to me than Kathy returning from the dead. And I loved Kathy.
    You're wasted here. This post is far too sensible for some people.

I mean here we are on the eve of Christmas - a day where people celebrate the (supposed) birth of a guy who is so important to them despite it being 2000 years ago.

I can confidently state exactly how many people will be talking about Michelle Fowler's recast in 2000 years: Zero.
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aw, I'd save your disgust for something that actually matters :D

It boils down to, what's more important - the character or Susan Tully? I personally think the character of Michelle was great and she potentially has a lot to give. And the reason Michelle was great was because of the writing for her - that's what made her a good character. So this re cast, whilst not ideal, is the only way to get this great character back on screen. And I'm chuffed about it. Yep, it would have been brilliant to have Susan Tully back, but it's not to be. So let's just enjoy seeing NuMichelle back on screen.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the show has sunk lower several times Rhydler but I can understand where you are coming from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

There is an elite band of characters that are considered icons, not the characters the EE machine, and twitter try to convince us are icons, but the ones that actually are icons, and Michelle Fowler as played by Sue Tully is one of them. That means that the character goes beyond a character that can be re-casted. Why didn't they get another slaphead to play Grant this year? Someone who would have given more of their time than Ross Kemp did? Because the audience would not accept another actor playing the part. Why not, after Mike Reid's death, keep the character of Frank alive and let another older 'cockney' man play him? Because Mike Reid is the face of the character, and the heart of the character and the audience would not accept it! I believe EE's traditional audience should absolutely reject this abominable decision, and I believe you should be one of them as you've been around from day one, and you should be someone who saw major storylines with Michelle at the forefront, storylines that dominated the early years and was largely responsible for the critical success and acclaim it received. Sue Tully was the reason why, she gave so much to the show over a ten year period, that when she stepped down from playing the role and exited conclusively, that should have been it, until - if and when - she ever decided to return. The previous EP tried to get her back and failed to do so, and KNEW he couldn't recast because the character was too important and too much had been achieved with Tully in the role.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another silly post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    Aw, I'd save your disgust for something that actually matters :D

It boils down to, what's more important - the character or Susan Tully? I personally think the character of Michelle was great and she potentially has a lot to give. And the reason Michelle was great was because of the writing for her - that's what made her a good character. So this re cast, whilst not ideal, is the only way to get this great character back on screen. And I'm chuffed about it. Yep, it would have been brilliant to have Susan Tully back, but it's not to be. So let's just enjoy seeing NuMichelle back on screen.

I'll decide what I'll be disgusted about thanks. This ranks pretty highly, as do posts like yours, but I blame fans that exist today who bleat on about recasts so much, so obsessively, that that dorks on the EE production team think its the norm...now the precedents been set - there's never been a recast of this magnitude that wasn't warranted by the previous actors death - it can happen any time. but the world is cheaper and tackier now, so whatevs, I'll just retreat from it and let it be. Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I think the show has sunk lower several times Rhydler but I can understand where you are coming from.

I'm not sure they have my friend. Save for the Den exit of 2005.