Options

Endeavour series 4

Comments

• Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    That was John Thaw's daughter in the car.

How can someone survive a crash and run away as fast as that?

On the 30th anniversary of the start of Morse I had a horrible feeling they were going to kill off his daughter in the first episode! lol
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Ah. All these things come back when I read them! I remember that now as well! :)

Yeah, it was the end of series 2 with the corrupt coppers.
    Thursday got shot.
    Start of series 3 he's been discharged from hospital but they couldn't get the bullet out.

I assume that's what was causing his cough and it eventually dislodged.
  • Options
    Johnny_SinclairJohnny_Sinclair Posts: 1,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get's dark quickly in Oxford.:D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Costly episode for Morse. No promotion and he'll need a new suit.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past him, isn't Bright a Freemason?

I wondered why Morse's exam papers went missing !!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't impressed, I wasn't surprised what happened to his Sergeant's exam paper, as I was sure he'd be still a DC in this series.

As with other dramas, I occasionally notice the background music, at one point it reminded me a bit of the "tension building" repetitive musical phrases used in the Bourne films. Beyond that, at two hours it began to drag.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bright's certainly been more sinister since he's started moonlighting in Game of Thrones.

I really enjoyed that, one of the few things left on ITV that is worth watching.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent :)
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was that at the very end with the tarot card?.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Nice bit of trivia.

Abigail Thaw's character is called Dorothea Frazil or D. Frazil.

Frazil is a type of ice.

So her name means D. Ice = Thaw :D
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Ludicrous to sit for hours waiting for the computer when they could just have rung the local paper to get the information they needed.

Yes, I thought they should have just gone to the pub in Binsey and asked for the names of local doctors. It's not a very big place. You really had no guarantee that a computer would come up with the goods first time in those days anyway; they could easily have had to rerun the whole thing.

I much preferred this episode to series 3, especially as a lot of it was filmed at my old college (the first modern college building they have had in it, I think?) I wish someone would give the actors a pronunciation guide, though - Cherwell should be pronounced "Charwell" (after Osney last series).
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone would give the actors a pronunciation guide, though - Cherwell should be pronounced "Charwell"

You don't say it like that if you live in Banbury though! At least we never did when I lived there for 16 years!
  • Options
    Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    You don't say it like that if you live in Banbury though! At least we never did when I lived there for 16 years!

But everybody in Oxford says it as 'Charwell' so I'm pretty sure the police officers would too.
  • Options
    SATMSATM Posts: 3,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Yes, the last episode was the bank raid. They were both in the bank at the time. That was presumably why she left.

She worked in the bank.

Wasn't her boyfriend a member of the gang who had used the relationship to gain inside knowledge of the bank's operating procedures?

Also didn't someone in the bank get shot?
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is it in a nutshell - generally pronounced as ChArwell in Oxford, but ChErwell in North Oxfordshire.

Old Oxford maps spell it as Charwelle.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonm01 wrote: »
    A nod to Steve Coogan there :)

https://youtu.be/zUoT5AxFpRs

Seems to be a thing with the writers, I recall in previous episodes there was a reference to Mrs Cravat (Tony Hancock) and even a Terry Pratchett Discworld reference to a Sergeant Vimes at Cable Street. Probably a lot more that have flown over my head.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bugging me because I couldn't remember the details of why Joan had left home. I remembered the bank raid, but had forgotten she'd got friendly with one of the people responsible for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've probably said this before, but Truelove seems well on the way to becoming the first "Woman Detective Constable" long before the first one in real life.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has Dorothea Frazil's office always had a picture of Colin Dexter hanging on the wall?
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Has Dorothea Frazil's office always had a picture of Colin Dexter hanging on the wall?

Colin Dexter has retired from making his cameo appearances in person - so that is probably the nod to him now.

Those blue shorts on the swimming pool lad were positively obscene!
  • Options
    Graham_MorganGraham_Morgan Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Excellent
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard Shaun Evans interviewed during the week and he said Colin Dexter wasn't well enough to do cameos, so pictures of him in the background is the new thing this series instead. So strange to hear him talk with his real Liverpool accent.

Could someone please explain the final scene of the tarot card to me? Is there someone else behind all this, or is it to do with the killer's obsession with his dead sister (if we are to take it he really is the killer)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    Could someone please explain the final scene of the tarot card to me? Is there someone else behind all this, or is it to do with the killer's obsession with his dead sister (if we are to take it he really is the killer)?

I thought it was to do with whoever was out to get Morse?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karly wrote: »

I would presume it's something to do with next weeks story (or an ongoing series arc) rather than this weeks story.

Given the scene was straight after Morse asked about Joan Thursday I wondered if it would be anything to do with her.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the tiger.