Options

DSFE 80: Live from the ISS!

Comments

• Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Looks like Andra's going to be busy, singing for both Spain and Romania!
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many players do we have? We had 8 extra countries which would leave 52 to be split out which would make 26, is that how many we have, if so it's more than we have had recently.
  • Options
    MiesBouwmanMiesBouwman Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    How many players do we have? We had 8 extra countries which would leave 52 to be split out which would make 26, is that how many we have, if so it's more than we have had recently.

We have 26, indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avb wrote: »
    Looks like Andra's going to be busy, singing for both Spain and Romania!
    Life in space is not quiet. Everyone knows that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quarter Final 1
    01. The Netherlands Celine Cairo Hello Love
    02. Azerbaijan Sebnem Tovuzlu Lazim
    03. Scotland Skipinnish The Island
    04. Cyprus Sertari Keep On Dreaming
    05. Australia Jupiter Project Sweet Disguise
    06. Latvia Masha Mr. Presley
    07. England Oh Wonder Without You
    08. Norway Kiesza Broken Heart Museum
    09. Serbia Marina Viskovic Ljubav Za Sva Vremena
    10. Montenegro ABHOTH Blood of The Ancients
    11. Hungary Mrs. Columbo Hunger
    12. Greece Kim Cesarion Undressed
    13. Sweden LÉON Tired of Talking
    14. San Marino Renzo Rubino Pop
    15. Bulgaria Christiana Loizu Phoenix

Playlist

- Please rank the songs above in traditional Eurovision format (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1)
    -You cannot vote for your own song.
    -Please submit your votes to me (MiesBouwman) before Wednesday 27th July by 7:00pm. Results will follow shortly after.
    -If you have a song in this Quarter Final you are required to vote, failure to vote will result in your country's disqualification.
    -You may vote even if your country is not in this QF.
    -The top 10 will advance and shine brightly in the Semi Final galaxy while the Bottom 5 will die in a supernova, without all the interesting exploding bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will create recaps from the Semi Final stage onward, I want people to judge the songs only in full in the Quarter Final stage.
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    Netherlands (★★★★): This started off quite averagely, but her voice and the amazing chorus makes this a very good entry. A great start to the quarter finals.
    Azerbaijan (★★): Erm... not a fan of this. Her voice is irritating and the song as a whole is just plain and nothingy.
    Scotland (★★★★): This probably won't do all that well but folk music is a huge guilty pleasure of mine, and this is a strong example of this. A good find that I'm loving.
    Cyprus (★★★★): Had a feeling this would turn up soon - it's very good for Cyprus, very anthemic and uplifting. Enjoying this a lot.
    Australia (★★★): I'm not entirely sure what I expected, this gave me mixed messages. The verses are quite weak and nothingy, but I'm enjoying the chorus. A risk, I feel, but I'm enjoying it.
    Latvia (★★★★★): This is a really good find for Latvia - dark, classy, interesting. It's my favourite so far.
    England (★★★): This is cute and nice but nothing special. Their voices go well together though.
    Norway (★★★★): I'm honestly quite bored of seeing Kiesza every few contests, but I'll admit that this is one of her best. The chorus builds up to something that I know will do well.
    Serbia (★★★): Her again. Okay. This would've done better if it had stayed away from trying to be anthemic because it falls a bit flat. Not bad for Serbia though.
    Montenegro (★): Wow, this is even listed as private. I was expecting this when the artist was called "ABHOTH" and the song was called "Blood of The Ancients". You tried something different, if it wasn't Montenegro I'd laugh. One star for trying.
    Hungary (★★★★): This is a great find for Hungary, I'm really enjoying this.
    Greece (★★): Standard guy-who-thinks-he's-prettier-than-he-is pop.
    Sweden (★★★★): Very strong, as expected from Sweden. I like the retro feel to this and the fact that it still manages to be modern somehow.
    San Marino (★★): Pop no longer sounds like a word. Thank you Renzo. That's the only effect this song had on me.
    Bulgaria (★★★★★): My pick for the win already, excellent for Bulgaria (even if she's Cypriot :p). Everything about this is excellent - definitely in my top 3.

Favourites there were Bulgaria, Hungary, Latvia and Scotland.
  • Options
    Lurker62Lurker62 Posts: 3,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken's review is giving me hope. I haven't listened to all the songs yet. So, I hope my song is among the better ones here.
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken doesnt like my song :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikabv wrote: »
    Chicken doesnt like my song :(

Huh, only one of the songs I don't like strikes me as something you might send. I thought our tastes were slowly becoming more similar. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh, only one of the songs I don't like strikes me as something you might send. I thought our tastes were slowly becoming more similar. :p

I doubt it's that one, my song is rather unlike me. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt it's that one, my song is rather unlike me. ;-)

That might be why I dislike it - I tend to like most of your entries. :p
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    QF1 Review:

NETHERLANDS: Both the song and the video are a bit monotonous. Apart from that, it's a decent entry
    AZERBAIJAN: I think this is awful. The track is silly and she got no charisma or star quality. And wash that hair girl, gross.
    SCOTLAND: This is as scottish as it gets. It's cute!
    CYPRUS: Feels very amateurish. However, she's fun and likeable and the beat is quite pleasant
    AUSTRALIA: It's suicidal to get Australia and send something like this :p
    LATVIA: Musically interesting, theatrical and classy. I'll be enjoying this one.
    ENGLAND: Been watching this on the youtube suggestions for so long but never clicked to hear it. I wish we could listen to the man's vocals more because he sounds amazing but he practically provides backing vocals to the girl's annoying voice. Still, I think this has a charm.
    NORWAY: She'd had way better songs. Kinda weak.
    SERBIA: When I see Serbia and a female singer I always expect slutiness. I am very pleased I was wrong this time. Nice instrumentation and suprisingly good video effects for the country :o:p
    MONTENEGRO: Wtf? :P 5 mins of noise. And is she really trying to summon Satan with drum sticks? Lol guuuurl!
    HUNGARY: Dislike her vocals. The tune is catchy
    GREECE: The chorus is irritating but he is cool and wins me over :D
    SWEDEN: Not enjoying this type of songs, just not for me
    SAN MARINO: Urghh, the cringe when a track tries to be funny but fails. As bad as Azerbaijan and Montenegro.
    BULGARIA: It's generic and the phoenix theme is not exactly refreshing but it's a solid find for Bulgaria overall.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    QF1

The Netherlands - Hello that chorus! Shame the rest of the song is neither here nor there.

Azerbaijan - Loving these beats from the Baku Hit Factory. :blush:

Scotland - I can forgive his annoying voice, because of the Celtic whimsy that melody possesses and the presence of the accordion.

Cyprus - Shingle beaches are just the worst. Fast track her to Eurovision now! Yeah it's a bit cheap, but it makes me happy and I don't care. :kitty:

Australia - Yeah I think I'm with Greeky on this one. I do like the electro elements though and it may grow on me over time.

Latvia - I have no interest in her necrophiliac love affair with Elvis or this dirge song.

England - Another nothing song. Their voices don't work together for me.

Norway - She's been off the radar for a while. I like the anthemic vibes that chorus is giving me.

Serbia - Ah it's my old mate I sent last contest. I prefer the ****-bangers, but this is a nice bit of Balkan class.

Montenegro - I would've slashed my arms long before she did! This is just music Kryptonite to me, I can't.

Hungary - The vocal needs work, but I can forgive that. There's a catchiness about the melody.

Greece - I'll stay dressed thanks. Unbelievably smug, Usher you ain't.

Sweden - Modern chillout zone with retro hints. I like it.

San Marino - Make it stop. All is forgiven, Montenegrin Death Metal! :eek:

Bulgaria - Brightening up the Bulgarian salt mines. :p Conchita who? This is how it's done.
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    I can't at Lisa's review for Latvia :D:D:D
    There's always a review of yours that gets me girl :cry::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some small reviews from me too, with a themed scale for space (details at the bottom) :).

The Netherlands - This was a decent start, but I couldn’t really get into it, just a bit flat really. NEPTUNE
    Azerbaijan - Oh dear. No, unfortunately this is rather annoying and it’s not even well done for the genre. MERCURY
    Scotland - At times I can’t really hear what he’s singing but it’s a nice piece of folk music nonetheless. SATURN
    Cyprus - This is fairly good for Cyprus, a fun and summery song. It never quite grabbed me though. URANUS
    Australia - Not sure how this is a risk (?), but I am liking it, although the chorus isn’t too memorable. SATURN
    Latvia - This is really intriguing and haunting. For Latvia, it’s a great find. I really like her voice too. SATURN
    England - Is this actually the best the FM could find? The verses are cute and all, but the chorus is really irritating. EARTH
    Norway - I think the audio quality has been reduced in this clip, which makes it less enjoyable to listen to. The chorus is good though. URANUS
    Serbia - I really liked her last one, but this leaves me unimpressed. It’s just quite unoriginal and not even catchy. MARS
    Montenegro - I’ll never ever 'get' this genre of music, but I will admit it sounds quite professional for Montenegro. PLUTO
    Hungary - Back to the good stuff, it’s very easy to listen to and the chorus is fairly catchy. Her accent brings it down slightly. SATURN
    Greece - A good find, how his voice goes from quite low to female-high in seconds takes getting used to, but I’m liking it overall. SATURN
    Sweden - I think I came across this last contest, but I forgot about it when I found ‘Statue’. It’s solid, might grow on me. URANUS
    San Marino - I like that it’s a bit different, some parts are painful for the ears, but it’s not that bad, a bit of fun never hurts. EARTH
    Bulgaria - It’s generic af, but considering the country I’ll be satisfied with that. Much prefer Bulgaria’s indie-rock scene though. NEPTUNE

Scale (the bigger the planet, the better the song)
    Jupiter - BEST
    Saturn
    Uranus
    Neptune
    Earth
    Venus
    Mars
    Mercury
    Pluto - WORST

And yes, I am aware that Pluto is not technically a planet. That's why if your song gets a Pluto, it's not technically a song either :D.
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Netherlands - It's OK.
    Azerbaijan - This sort of Turkish stuff rarely does well unfortunately.
    Scotland - I like this, it's different for DSFE. I spent most of the song trying to think what it reminded me of, then got it right at the end: Ola Nordmann.
    Cyprus - Platform 22 was such a good song, but she's gone down the generic route unfortunately.
    Australia - It's probably not the sort of song that will do well in DSFE, but I quite like this.
    Latvia - Got bored early on in this.
    England - Interested to see how this does, I've liked this for a while but never quite enough to send it myself.
    Norway - Not Kiesza's best.
    Serbia - If they sped this up a bit it would be great, has potential but just a bit slow, particularly at the start. Oh and more instrumentals please, the more instrumentals the better in Balkan songs.
    Montenegro - Christ! That's what too many cigarettes does to your voice, people...
    Hungary - Columbo, eh? I thought he was American? Just one more thing: is she singing in the nude?
    Greece - Ah, the Cesarion section of the contest. Had seen his name around for a while without ever really listening to his music, liking this.
    Sweden - The chorus is decent but the minute of nothingness that comes before it was a bit of a waste of time.
    San Marino - POP! Er, what?! The Godfather series really has gone downhill. Clearly a TerryP song, he's been trying to bring pop back to DSFE for ages, although just shouting the word 300 times in three minutes might be a bad idea. POP!
    Bulgaria - Solid song. And she never shouted POP! once.
  • Options
    Lurker62Lurker62 Posts: 3,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My song is getting decent reviews so far. Hopefully those translate to votes.
    Poor Montenegro getting bashed on the reviews. I haven't heard the song yet as I'm on a trip. So, I'll look forward later on what's the deal about it.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    GreekFan wrote: »
    I can't at Lisa's review for Latvia :D:D:D
    There's always a review of yours that gets me girl :cry::D

I aim to please. :cool::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quarter Final 2
    01. Belgium Maple Black Back Into Life
    02. Wales Casi Lion
    03. Israel Dudu Aharon Katzefet Im Tut
    04. Finland Robin ft. Kasmir Milloin Nään Sut Uudestaan?
    05. Moldova Katy Rain M-ai lovit
    06. Bosnia & Herzegovina Sanjin & Youthman Zlatan Ibrahimović
    07. Tasmania Jessica Mauboy This Ain't Love
    08. Poland Monika Lewczuk Ty I Ja
    09. Spain Andra ft. David Bisbal Without You
    10. Jersey Laura Marling Devil's Resting Place
    11. Luxembourg Austinn Dangerous
    12. Italy Giulia Luzi Un Abbracio Al Sole
    13. Slovenia Ines Erbus Malo se popilo
    14. Gotland Sophia Somajo Sapphire
    15. Slovakia Lina Mayer This Time

Playlist

- Please rank the songs above in traditional Eurovision format (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1)
    -You cannot vote for your own song.
    -Please submit your votes to me (MiesBouwman) before Thursday the 28th July by 7:00pm. Results will follow shortly after.
    -If you have a song in this Quarter Final you are required to vote, failure to vote will result in your country's disqualification.
    -You may vote even if your country is not in this QF.
    -The top 10 will advance and shine brightly in the Semi Final galaxy while the Bottom 5 will die in a supernova, without all the interesting exploding bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belgium - Was loving this when it started but the chorus was a massive disappointment. It’s a decent song still. NEPTUNE
    Wales - I hate whoever entered this, they stole my entry :blush:. It’s a fantastic song, and deserves to do very well. JUPITER
    Israel - I think the title also means ‘cat fat in a bag’ in German which is a bit strange :p. The song is not much good. MERCURY
    Finland - This got better as it went, a fairly nice song that I’m satisfied with, without really loving it either. URANUS
    Moldova - The chorus here is comprised of 1 line followed by lots of wailing. Don’t like it, but it went well for Jamala I guess… MARS
    Bosnia & Herzegovina - It’s cheap, but funny and actually very catchy. There’s a key change too. Way to go, Bosnia ;). URANUS
    Tasmania - I remember this from the NFs a while ago. It should’ve won back then so it’s good that it gets its chance now. SATURN
    Poland - Average in every way, does its job, but doesn't impress me further. It’s nice enough and that’s about it. NEPTUNE
    Spain - Great idea to have those two do a duet. It’s a real banger of a song, the mix of languages works too. SATURN
    Jersey - This had me intrigued, but it lost me shortly after. It's very monotonous and I’m failing to see where it’s trying to go. VENUS
    Luxembourg - Ah, they're great, actually Luxembourgish too, it's nice to see them back. An excellent song as well. SATURN
    Italy - Lol, it’s a lesser version of last time’s winner :D. A nice song but doesn’t have a patch on 'Non Cardiamo Mai’. URANUS
    Slovenia - Looks like the FM with this just picked it to have an extra country :p. It’s good fun but not a winner. VENUS
    Gotland - Risky choice for the country. I actually rather enjoyed this, even if it’s not my usual style of music. Not bad. URANUS
    Slovakia - This Time > Personal Sky. A great bit of lighthearted fun and a nice closer. The lyrics are cringe though. SATURN
    Scale (the bigger the planet, the better the song)
    Jupiter - BEST
    Saturn
    Uranus
    Neptune
    Earth
    Venus
    Mars
    Mercury
    Pluto - WORST

And yes, I am aware that Pluto is not technically a planet. That's why if your song gets a Pluto, it's not technically a song either :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mixed emotions from Mika's review. He likes my song, but...
    This Time > Personal Sky.

I'm pretty sure this classes as blasphemy. >:(:p
  • Options
    King KuntaKing Kunta Posts: 6,086
    Forum Member
    Wow I've been absolutely panned.
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    QF1 review:)
    Netherlands - Interesting start. I feel like it's almost there, but missing something. 8
    Azerbaijan - That whiny Turkic female voice...I just can't warm to it :( 5
    Scotland - I don't mind a bit of Celtic when it isn't annoying. This is nice enough. 8
    Cyprus - What a chorus. Maybe goes on a little too long, but that's trivial. 9
    Australia - NZ on air?! :o. Not keen on this - also, whys his head in the fridge? 5
    Latvia - It's certainly interesting & dark, & a decent find for Latvia. But it is a bit of a dirge. 6
    England - It's nice, but doesn't really go anywhere. But it certainly isn't a bad attempt at England. 7
    Norway - I always laugh when we get a Canadian for Norway, one of Europe's best scenes. But her songs are nearly always good. 8
    Serbia - Every trick in the Balkan book - the vid's a ready-made real contest staging. Not bad. 7
    Montenegro - WHAT THE F...ok, it's Montenegro. I feel your pain. I acknowledge your desperation. As Brian Cox said, things can only get better. 4
    Hungary - A few entries which are quite unusual here. This sounds like a Lorde track,but with histrionics. 7
    Greece - Sorry Greece - Cyprus beat you. Generic meh. 6
    Sweden - Is this Janet Leon? Also a bit Lorde, but better than Hungary. 8
    San Marino - Oh, I can't even rely on Italy anymore? :(. Not me at all. 4
    Bulgaria - A bit screechy, I wouldn't normally give this score for this but it's pretty good & this hasn't been the strongest heat. 9
  • Options
    Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    voted for qf1! decent quality. do not understand the love for cyprus, but i dont get her appeal in general. very poorly produced and incredibly cheap nothingy pop.