"Sexist" ASDA advert - Natasha Symms aka Kate Patrick from Hollyoaks?

MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys.

You know the current ASDA Christmas advert, which has been accused of being sexist, showing Mum doing all the work preparing for Christmas?

Well, for weeks now I've been wondering where I recognised the actress who plays the Mum from. :confused:

At first I was thinking I'd seen her on Doctors, or on another advert or something. So I did a Google search and couldn't seem to find the answer, until tonight I found it mentioned on another forum that it may be Natasha Symms, who played Kate Patrick (Sol and Gina's older sister; Jack Osborne's daughter-in-law) in Hollyoaks back in the day (1997-2003) just with blonde hair these days.

I'm pretty certain now that it is her and that Hollyoaks is where I recognised her from.

However, I can't help but feel like maybe she's just got one of those faces and it's not actually her.

Can any of the other soap fan veterans help me out and confirm it or give me their opinion?

I remember back in the day I used to fancy her... big time! So if it is her I'm not surprised that she caught my eye on the ASDA advert. :o

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my experience it isnt sexist - its totally realistic :p
  • AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Hi guys.

You know the current ASDA Christmas advert, which has been accused of being sexist, showing Mum doing all the work preparing for Christmas?

Well, for weeks now I've been wondering where I recognised the actress who plays the Mum from. :confused:

At first I was thinking I'd seen her on Doctors, or on another advert or something. So I did a Google search and couldn't seem to find the answer, until tonight I found it mentioned on another forum that it may be Natasha Symms, who played Kate Patrick (Sol and Gina's older sister; Jack Osborne's daughter-in-law) in Hollyoaks back in the day (1997-2003) just with blonde hair these days.

I'm pretty certain now that it is her and that Hollyoaks is where I recognised her from.

However, I can't help but feel like maybe she's just got one of those faces and it's not actually her.

Can any of the other soap fan veterans help me out and confirm it or give me their opinion?

I remember back in the day I used to fancy her... big time! So if it is her I'm not surprised that she caught my eye on the ASDA advert. :o

So what do you guys think?

well spotted :) It is indeed her. Though I admit, I would never of recognised her without pre-knowing it was her, but I did a google search and saw some images of her Hollyoaks days and also found an article that does confirm its her :)

Anyway, this advert is really being seen as sexist? Good god we are becoming to PC!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt know who she was, and still dont, but I dont like the advert. Dont think it's sexist, just think its a bit thoughtless. You dont need a mum to have a good Xmas and it kinda sends out an odd message, if I were an 8 yr old kid who's mum had died I'd probably think 'cheers Asda, Christmas is cancelled' lol
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    The advert is absolutely spot on, imo
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »
    well spotted :) It is indeed her. Though I admit, I would never of recognised her without pre-knowing it was her, but I did a google search and saw some images of her Hollyoaks days and also found an article that does confirm its her :)

Anyway, this advert is really being seen as sexist? Good god we are becoming to PC!!

Phew!!! I'm glad my mind can finally rest easy. Every time the advert came on I found myself pondering whether it was or wasn't her.

It's funny isn't it, how none of Jack Osborne's other kids, including step-children and adopted kids ever get mentioned anymore.

It'd be nice if they at least gave a nod and a wink to all the viewers that have been watching since episode 1, with the occasional reference to characters past.

Yeah, it is sad how PC everything has to be nowadays. That's the problem with pushing political correctness too far, because it means nobody's ever happy and even innocent fun or a tongue-in-cheek advert will put somebody's back up and be lambasted for its insensitivity in one way or another. :yawn:
  • SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    as sad as it sound that advert makes me want to cry for some reason :/
  • debutantedebutante Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SophiaK70 wrote: »
    as sad as it sound that advert makes me want to cry for some reason :/

It gives me a lump in my throat too. And it's not sexist, it's true in a lot (not ALL) cases! And being a single mother myself, who does do everything to make sure Christmas is perfect, it does make me feel a bit emotional, but in a kind of nice way...:o
  • SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    debutante wrote: »
    It gives me a lump in my throat too. And it's not sexist, it's true in a lot (not ALL) cases! And being a single mother myself, who does do everything to make sure Christmas is perfect, it does make me feel a bit emotional, but in a kind of nice way...:o

its just the look of content on her face when she sees all her kids happily playing and chuntering away to themselves