The Ice Warriors very nearly returned to DW in 1986...

adam_fransellaadam_fransella Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...in a story called "Mission to Magnus", which also featured Sil from "Vengeance On Varos" (and who himself would reappear in "The Trial Of A Time Lord").

Alas,, said story was abandoned (along with "The Nightmare Fair", in which The Doctor and Peri were to visit Blackpool and meet up with The Celestial Toymaker; and "The Ultimate Evil", plus a few others) after the evil Michael Grade threatened to cancel the series, then reversed his decision but delayed production, etc., and eventually fans were lumbered with a 23rd season that was not worth the wait, after all.

BUT it would seem that the right decisions were made, with regards to stories, as general fan reaction (on this site) to "Mission To Magnus" has been so negative, it is as if it would have been far worse than "The Twin Dilemma", or even "Time Lash"! To get a feel for how bad it is, read the novelisation, or listen to the Big Finish audio adaptation.

"The Nightmare Fair" (also adapted by Big Finish) comes across as being OK at best, and so-so at worst, while "The Ultimate Evil" (not adapted, but novelised just like the others mentioned here) is another bad story that deserved not to get made.

As for the Peladon stories with Jon Pertwee...among his best, or weakest?

Comments

• BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    They were apparently meant to be in the original "Season 27" as well, in a story set in 60s London called "Ice Time", but of course they show was cancelled then, as well.

Maybe that's why Moff was reluctant to bring them back, haha.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't hold my breath for anything special tonight to be honest. How much can they fit into 43 minutes and still make it a decent story.
    I'm a negative little person :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    I won't hold my breath for anything special tonight to be honest. How much can they fit into 43 minutes and still make it a decent story.

Just like this :)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midnight :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member

I thought I was going to be a longer 1.5 hour episode?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobbit wrote: »
    I thought I was going to be a longer 1.5 hour episode?

This weeks episode this is...
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you say that about every other episode?
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Translation: I've outgrown Doctor Who and just troll with non-stop pessimisum, time to go watch more boring drivel like Game of Thrones
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Grumpy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grumpy?

Well today I'm Sneezy we could have a whole set!
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Translation: I've outgrown Doctor Who and just troll with non-stop pessimisum, time to go watch more boring drivel like Game of Thrones

Do you mind? Game of Thrones is far from boring drivel. Save your moaning about it for the Game of Thrones threads!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Talking of pessimism, having read a few of your posts recently, you certainly seem to be dishing out the lions share of it! You seem to be doing nothing but baiting people with your very aggressive and negative retorts rather than actually debating or discussing others pov.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Captain Zhukov disagrees.
  • adam_fransellaadam_fransella Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Or how about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMC2sAF8eVQ

For the whole abandoned Season 23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWQMSe-8mg

Just how many of you are glad that "Mission To Magnus" was never made for television, as planned?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"The Monster Of Peladon" (1974) must fall into the latter category, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...in a story called "Mission to Magnus", which also featured Sil from "Vengeance On Varos" (and who himself would reappear in "The Trial Of A Time Lord").

Alas,, said story was abandoned (along with "The Nightmare Fair", in which The Doctor and Peri were to visit Blackpool and meet up with The Celestial Toymaker; and "The Ultimate Evil", plus a few others) after the evil Michael Grade threatened to cancel the series, then reversed his decision but delayed production, etc., and eventually fans were lumbered with a 23rd season that was not worth the wait, after all.

BUT it would seem that the right decisions were made, with regards to stories, as general fan reaction (on this site) to "Mission To Magnus" has been so negative, it is as if it would have been far worse than "The Twin Dilemma", or even "Time Lash"! To get a feel for how bad it is, read the novelisation, or listen to the Big Finish audio adaptation.

"The Nightmare Fair" (also adapted by Big Finish) comes across as being OK at best, and so-so at worst, while "The Ultimate Evil" (not adapted, but novelised just like the others mentioned here) is another bad story that deserved not to get made.

Someone must have an answer to all or some of the issues raised here! :confused:
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were apparently meant to be in the original "Season 27" as well, in a story set in 60s London called "Ice Time", but of course they show was cancelled then, as well.

Maybe that's why Moff was reluctant to bring them back, haha.

Ice Time was later adapted into the Big Finish story Thin Ice, which bears a slight resemblance to Cold War in that a legendary ancient Ice Warrior leader is reanimated.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I've heard the Big Finish audio version of Mission to Magnus and - I must say - its very of its time, but I really enjoyed it.

It was great hearing Sil again (played again by Nabil Shaban) and the story stomps along at quite a pace.

It probably works better as an audio adventure as it clearly would have needed BIG special effects. It basically involves
    a planet being knocked off its axis (or something) so it becomes a frozen world cold enough for the Ice Warriors to claim as their knew home.
    Or something like that. I really enjoy the Lost Stories because I'm of that era and its lovely getting the chance to hear the episodes I would have seen if Michael Grade hadn't had his wicked way!