Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    And then you could privately tell us just to give us a little peace of mind too :D

No. No i am not.

Just kidding!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate's going to be so chuffed if it's a complete 'Enemy Of The World' because he missed the last episode in the Sixties as a kid!

I've heard the episode we've got isn't representative of the story, being as it is so studio-bound and, let's be honest, treading water a bit.

But yay....more Griffin The Cook footage! (Everything crossed.) :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crucium wrote: »
    I'm the same, don't like downloading movies or TV shows and buy the physical product whenever possible. So I'll give Itunes a miss and wait for the DVDs.

Same here
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    In other news... One Direction have announced their new single #onedirectionday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    In other news... One Direction have announced their new single #onedirectionday

Wrong forum. This forum is for grown-ups.
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frazer Hines Just tweeted that one of the episodes found starts with the word "The".

Not very helpful but okay, at least this crosses of fury from the deep!
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Any extra lost episode is wonderful of course but the way it's been built up into something massive over the last couple of weeks if it is 'just' 9 it's a massive kick in the teeth to some people who were expecting so much much more.
    Of course it's big news because of the anniversary but with the expectations a lot of people will be going 'is that it?' when it should be 'oh god!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does anyone make of all the chat about fans needing to buy the episodes on iTunes to fund the BBC getting more?

Personally I'm more inclined to wait for DVD releases because that's how I normally buy my Doctor Who, especially if episode 3 of Web of Fear is still out there but just not back with the BBC yet. I wonder if any of the "there maybe more" speculation will be cleared up by the press conference?

I don't see that as being likely myself as if things go via BBC Worldwide, which seems likely then it's NOT licence fee payers money that would\could be used to pay for them but more profits from commercial operations used as an investment for future profits & that's separate from the BBC & the licence fee budget as such even if there would still be conditions.

If it's a blackmail thing as some scare mongers would have us believe I'd sooner see the lot burnt in public then be held to ransom, that as the general public to be told to hand over large sums of monies or they get destroyed by the holder. I don't for 1 minute buy into the blackmail give us what we want or they die rumors. I think it more likely the BBC might not confirm all they have in case what they have simply cant be restored to a usable condition for public release and thus no point in saying they have something to then say it got destroyed in the restoration process which could be very long to do and complete.
  • BobbyDrakeBobbyDrake Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    If it is Web and Enemy then I'm pretty happy with that. I would have preferred Evil or Power but I can't really complain if it is the rumoured 9 episodes especially as Troughton is my favourite doctor and so many of his episodes are missing.

It does seem strange that some people are complaining if only 9 episodes are back but there have been so many rumours going around that people have got their hopes up that the find was much bigger. Lets face it almost nothing has been found for over 20 years so this possible 9 is a big deal.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    Opaque wrote: »
    Any extra lost episode is wonderful of course but the way it's been built up into something massive over the last couple of weeks if it is 'just' 9 it's a massive kick in the teeth to some people who were expecting so much much more.
    Of course it's big news because of the anniversary but with the expectations a lot of people will be going 'is that it?' when it should be 'oh god!'

Don't worry, every indication suggests its more than 9, it's just initially 9 (which in itself is more episodes than the last 20 years). It does sound like it's more of a "these exist but we don't have them yet" situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    BobbyDrake wrote: »
    If it is Web and Face then I'm pretty happy with that. I would have preferred Evil or Power but I can't really complain if it is the rumoured 9 episodes especially as Troughton is my favourite doctor and so many of his episodes are missing.

"Face" ?
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way this is still being kept a secret makes me suspect 10th Planet episode 4 has been found. I imagine BBC want peeps to buy the DVD and not cancel their orders till around Friday or whenever they announce this episode has also been found.

Still praying for Dalek's Master Plan. However, with the guest companions invited I imagine it is to do with their stories.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Seeing as we all "fund" the BBC anyway, then it's a little galling. I'm sure they would recoup any money spent with DVD sales anyway. It's not like Doctor Who isn't coining it in for them. Strange to say the least.

Do we know that the classic DVD sales are earning money? There's a lot of time and effort required to restore these programmes and, given the age of these ones, it could be a lot more time and effort than previously. Plus there's the commentaries and special features to organize.

I would have thought the black and whilte stuff would be a pretty niche audience?

If the itunes stuff don't sell that would presumably be an indication that the DVDs wouldn't sell so I can understand whiy it might be a factor on whether they'd see any point in expending the effort required to restore the rest..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frazer Hines Just tweeted that one of the episodes found starts with the word "The".

Not very helpful but okay, at least this crosses of fury from the deep!

Apart from Fury From The Deep ALL Troughton stories with missing episodes start with The :D
  • capt. tancredicapt. tancredi Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    What does anyone make of all the chat about fans needing to buy the episodes on iTunes to fund the BBC getting more?

Personally I'm more inclined to wait for DVD releases because that's how I normally buy my Doctor Who, especially if episode 3 of Web of Fear is still out there but just not back with the BBC yet. I wonder if any of the "there maybe more" speculation will be cleared up by the press conference?

I feel a bit uncomfortable about this, but after reflection I've decided to download any episodes that are released online.

Ian Levine, whatever you may think about his past outbursts, has more or less pleaded with fans to download them, if at all possible. He believes that the release of further episodes from the alleged haul depends in some way on big sales tonight/tomorrow. Because he seems not to have anything to gain financially from this, I'm prepared to take him at face value.

But apart from all that, I probably couldn't wait till November anyway... :D
  • BobbyDrakeBobbyDrake Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    "Face" ?

Oops - I meant Enemy (for some strange reason instead of Enemy of the World I kept thinking Face of Evil)?
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    You do get the feeling that the BBC has failed to keep up with this world of instant communication. I can appreciate that the written press still holds enough power and the BBC need to placate them with exclusives and news from time to time but I think they need to have a long hard look at there PR processes pretty soon. Should they continue to try and keep things secret in an age when it is almost impossible to do so? (And by that I mean even people guessing could stumble upon the a secret and twitter it).

The BBC is a many headed dinosaur. There are many smart, switched on people at the BBC but very few of them in positions of power. Even then it's a meeting about a meeting type of organisation with even the simple things requiring sign off from multiple heads of department. Parts of it are amazing (and world class) but it's still a 1930s organisation at it's core.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Apart from Fury From The Deep ALL Troughton stories with missing episodes start with The :D

LOL :D:D:D

What about Hartnell?? The Smugglers perhaps :o
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cynet wrote: »
    The daddy of them all is the tenth planet being the last episode, that is the holy grail and not forgetting Patrick first episode as doctor who!

The rest would be a plus in everybody's estimation!

Really? That's one of the episodes I'm least fussed about. We have all the other 3 episodes, it's not the worlds greatest story and we have footage of the regeneration. It's not even a great send off for Hartnell who has very little too do.

Give me an episode of a completely missing story any day of the week.
  • VictorVictor Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    The way this is still being kept a secret makes me suspect 10th Planet episode 4 has been found...

According to the poster on GB who has been saying all along that Web and Enemy would be the first missing eps unveiled, TP pt.4 has indeed been found. Make of that what you will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL :D:D:D

What about Hartnell?? The Smugglers perhaps :o

Of the 12 Hartnell stories with missing episodes only 3 don't start with "The"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Really? That's one of the episodes I'm least fussed about. We have all the other 3 episodes, it's not the worlds greatest story and we have footage of the regeneration. It's not even a great send off for Hartnell who has very little too do.

Give me an episode of a completely missing story any day of the week.

Agree, for me Hartnells Dalek Masterplan is most interesting story. So many shocks and twist. Plus "Magic" Chen :D:D:D
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    If you look back in this thread, it's been eloquently explained why there is an embargo. All this BBC-bashing it ridiculous, really! An embargo is not unusual in all sections of he media, and happens more often than anyone probably realises. Get over it and just wait.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    OK so it seems that if the rumours are true then 9 episodes have been returned. Thats great, but after all the build up I must admit to being a little disapointed. I suppose I never realy believed that 100 episodes had been recovered but I was hoping for more than 9. So again I ask, if only 9 episodes why the blanket ban untill midnight - not worth it.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way this is still being kept a secret makes me suspect 10th Planet episode 4 has been found. I imagine BBC want peeps to buy the DVD and not cancel their orders till around Friday or whenever they announce this episode has also been found.

Still praying for Dalek's Master Plan. However, with the guest companions invited I imagine it is to do with their stories.
    If that's true, it would be deliberate misselling of an inferior product. Something for the Daily Mail to get angry about. I can just imagine "CYBER-FRAUD - DOCTOR WHO FANS' FURY AT CARTOON CON!" and the story would be illustrated with the worst possible screencap they can get of the animation.