Options

The '5 a day' thread - what did you have today?

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Managed the following today:

Nectarine and pear with my cereal.
    Hummus dip for lunch with carrot and celery. Cherries.
    Big bowl of salad for supper including extra beetroot from the allotment. Raspberries.

I'm definitely finding it easier in summer than in winter, although winter is good for veggie soups.

How's everyone else getting on? :)

I havent had my dinner year, but so far have had full portions of:

strawberry, cherry toms, olives, grapes, guacamole

I may have stuffed mushrooms or peppers for tea

I only count full portions, not little bits and bobs of things.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherries, banana, peach, apple

Baby leaves, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, spinach

All full portions of.
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two rows of broad beans that I sowed are going mad at the mo so I picked a load, boiled the beans briefly for 3 mins, skinned them, let them cool down and added them to the salad this evening. They were small and (therefore) juicy and sweet. Another portion! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two rows of broad beans that I sowed are going mad at the mo so I picked a load, boiled the beans briefly for 3 mins, skinned them, let them cool down and added them to the salad this evening. They were small and (therefore) juicy and sweet. Another portion! :)

ooh, sound lovely

Can't wait for my tomatoes to be ready. Got lots on them now, just waiting for them to start ripening off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    ooh, sound lovely

Can't wait for my tomatoes to be ready. Got lots on them now, just waiting for them to start ripening off.

My big toms are still very green but the cherry toms are already ripe. I've got four plants in a grow bag and three in a hanging basket. They've all been very thirsty in this warm weather!

Taste so much better than bought ones don't they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much better! Have been out watering mine twice a day at the moment, they sure are thirsty little things.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I've got home grown cherry tomatoes too, first time I've grown them, they're ripening nicely.

Today, I've had some cherries, grapes, melon, apple (half a bag of Asda smart price frozen fruit salad - 88p, bargain!!), homemade hummus with carrot sticks, and some mixed veg added to a cup a soup. That's my usual lunch at work, cheap and filling, and takes longer to eat than a sandwich.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't ate as much as I normally do, because I had a 'convenience food' lunch, so a bit of broccoli and some fruity coleslaw, plus some cucumber and tomatoes for tea. I'm snacking on some frozen peas to increase it a bit.
    For fruit, just some tinned peaches, and some lovely juicy sweet cherries (my favourite fruit).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I haven't ate as much as I normally do, because I had a 'convenience food' lunch, so a bit of broccoli and some fruity coleslaw, plus some cucumber and tomatoes for tea. I'm snacking on some frozen peas to increase it a bit.
    For fruit, just some tinned peaches, and some lovely juicy sweet cherries (my favourite fruit).

Well if they were full portions that is still 7 which is really good.

I am a bit worried when colder weather comes as I dont really like cooked veg as much and I just cant eat cold food in winter. Thats when I have to be careful because I will be craving pasties and things!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cucumber and spring onion with tuna for my breakfast
    spring onion and garlic with beans on toast for my dinner
    bowl of sweetcorn for tea
    orange, apple, 2 peaches, apricot

I'm all out of veg now so I'll restock tomorrow and start on a new batch........I think I might try and buy fewer different ones at a time so I don't end up eating the same thing for 4 or 5 days running, try for a restock every 2 or 3 days instead of every 4 or 5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small cucumber for breakfast

Half cup of coffee mid morning

1/4 of a cantaloupe for lunch with a bite of hard, mature cheese made from sheep´s milk

9 green olives and a slice of French bread with a slice of grilled courgette and a slice of green pepper on top for dinner, with a small beer (200ml.)

Lots of water as well, as usual

Not quite 5 a day but I am stuffed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far today

full portion of cherry toms, full portion of cue, full portion of yellow pepper, full portion of mushroom, full portion of avocado, full portion of honeydew melon, full portion of beetroot.

added to that, one spring onion, tablespoon of seeds, tablespoon of celeriac salad, table spoon of marinated peppers, half a portion of olives, third of a green pepper
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Handful of berries with low fat Greek yoghurt, and a bowl of grapes and melon. Homemade vegetable soup and an apple for lunch.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small cucumber for breakfast

Half cup of coffee mid morning

1/4 of a cantaloupe for lunch with a bite of hard, mature cheese made from sheep´s milk

9 green olives and a slice of French bread with a slice of grilled courgette and a slice of green pepper on top for dinner, with a small beer (200ml.)

Lots of water as well, as usual

Not quite 5 a day but I am stuffed!

How, you've hardly eaten anything??

P.S. What's a DS Project Contestant?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57071554&postcount=36
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dorset Cereals toasted spelt muesli with Goats milk and yoghurt. 1 banana. 1 clementine.

Lunch, Baked salmon with a pile of mixed salad, watercress and rocket. 8 cherry toms and 1/2 of a red pepper. Drizzled with M&S balsamic dressing.

2 cups of tea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking! That doesn't look like enough calories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    225g blackberries, 250g picotta cherries, have some pomegranate for later on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pear and apple chopped into my cereal.
    Hummus dip with celery and carrot. Cherries.
    Cauliflower cheese with broad beans. Nectarine.

I'll have to eat courgettes tomorrow as I have a glut of them (as usual) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raspberries and strawberries as part of my breakie.
    Baby leaves, cucumber, beetroot and an apple as part of my lunch
    mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers as part of my tea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pear and apple chopped into my cereal.
    Hummus dip with celery and carrot. Cherries.
    Cauliflower cheese with broad beans. Nectarine.

I'll have to eat courgettes tomorrow as I have a glut of them (as usual) :)

I go through phases with courgettes. Really like them and then go off them. Currently off them, don't really know why. Never happens with any other fruit or veg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    So far today

full portion of cherry toms, full portion of cue, full portion of yellow pepper, full portion of mushroom, full portion of avocado, full portion of honeydew melon, full portion of beetroot.

added to that, one spring onion, tablespoon of seeds, tablespoon of celeriac salad, table spoon of marinated peppers, half a portion of olives, third of a green pepper

and then for me tea I had chicken breasts in a tin of toms, roasted courgette and peppers and green beans and cauliflower, I make that a 10!!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tin of peas with my breakfast

Lunchtime - large tomato, 1/4 cucumber, two sticks celery, a large spring onion, fresh basil. a dozen olives..........all chopped up, served in a bowl drizzled with olive oil

fruit as snacks.......10 cherries, orange, apple, apricot

I'm beginning to get a grip on what 80g is........one large tomato and a quarter of a normal sized cucumber are about 80g each

the peas were 190g 'drained weight'.....so allowing for a bit of loss in cooking and colander-ing I guess that counts as 2 portions
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This afternoon an apple a clementine and a pear.

Dinner, braised lamb shank with fresh rosemary from the garden, onion,garlic and mushrooms, served with cauli, brocolli, sugarsnap and carrots.

All freshly home made by my fair hand.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I go through phases with courgettes. Really like them and then go off them. Currently off them, don't really know why. Never happens with any other fruit or veg.

Me too. I struggle with them a bit. Perhaps I need to think of other ways of cooking them. Tomorrow I'm planning on roasting them with garlic, cherry toms and then adding some chopped basil before serving with fish and new potatoes.

I always let a few grow into marrows because my partner likes it with his Sunday roast.