Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    LOL.. I'm inclined to agree :)
    You can always count on the "hardcore" fans of a show to have a ridiculous conversation about something they have no control over, will never change and that the *vast* majority of people really don't give a monkies about.

The award for the most incredibly dumb phrase ever used in a thread goes too....
    Porkpie! for his use of the non-phrase "black bar haters" :D seriously WTF?!?!

Erm, well yeah, you're in the Cult forum, what did you expect? The level of discussion does tend to go deeper than your average joe can handle or care for. A bit like the football forum or any of the other more specific type forums.

Sounds like you're more suited to the more general discussion type forums. Run along, go play with the other average joes, and give my regards to your 2.4 children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Erm, well yeah, you're in the Cult forum, what did you expect? The level of discussion does tend to go deeper than your average joe can handle or care for. A bit like the football forum or any of the other more specific type forums.

Sounds like you're more suited to the more general discussion type forums. Run along, go play with the other average joes, and give my regards to your 2.4 children.
    oh dear.. did I touch a nerve?
    Feel free to disagree with me by all means but if you're attacking the poster and not the post then we both know you've got no legs to stand on.

I can "handle" whatever discussion is going on thx.
    And I'll read / post / contribute in whatever thread / forum I like :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear.. did I touch a nerve?

Feel free to disagree with me by all means but if you're attacking the poster and not the post then we both know you've got no legs to stand on.

I can "handle" whatever discussion is going on thx.
    And I'll read / post / contribute in whatever thread / forum I like :rolleyes:

Nah, not even close.

So, what are your thoughts regarding the Blu Ray releases? Any episodes in particular that your looking forward to?
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally the ones with the poorest tape transfers, but specifically... hmm, they've got quite a good selection for the sampler. I think Chain of Command would benefit greatly from being remastered; it's a very atmospheric one. The one with the shapeshifter would be good, as the transformation sequence looks rather dated nowadays - I wonder what, if anything, they're planning on doing with that one?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    Generally the ones with the poorest tape transfers, but specifically... hmm, they've got quite a good selection for the sampler. I think Chain of Command would benefit greatly from being remastered; it's a very atmospheric one. The one with the shapeshifter would be good, as the transformation sequence looks rather dated nowadays - I wonder what, if anything, they're planning on doing with that one?

Well, they've got to do something with it. Moments like that just don't exist aside from on the original video edits, which they aren't using here. We're gonna see new shapeshifter effects in those scenes.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL.. I'm inclined to agree :)
    You can always count on the "hardcore" fans of a show to have a ridiculous conversation about something they have no control over, will never change and that the *vast* majority of people really don't give a monkies about.

The award for the most incredibly dumb phrase ever used in a thread goes too....
    Porkpie! for his use of the non-phrase "black bar haters" :D seriously WTF?!?!
    What term would you use then smartarse?

I thought it was a bit more catchy than " the people who don't like to have borders on their images":rolleyes:

How someone who admits to being a viewer of "Come Dine With Me" feels they can criticise anyone for anything is a mystery

Crap like that is not in the Cult forum for a reason- because its filler that people don't give a shit about .

When you are in the Cult forum you are usually discussing shows with more of a following than mind numbing reality tv which is why the format of a commercial release will be of interest.
    If its not , you know what to do

As for "hardcore " fans - what do you expect in the Cult forum?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Nah, not even close.

So, what are your thoughts regarding the Blu Ray releases? Any episodes in particular that your looking forward to?
    I think I said earlier in the thread actually... anywhooo. I'm not really interested in the Blu-ray release as such. I've been struggling to enjoy TNG at the moment.
    If I were however, I'd probably look out for the various borg two parters. Another fave of mine was always a "Fist Full of Data's" beyond that... dunno. I think any episode that features more than 10 seconds of Wesley should be quietly dropped... and episode that has Deanna being "touchy feely" should be left till last... altho' I always fancied the pants off her, just didn't really like the character she played.
    For the record, I don't give a monkeys about the format ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    What term would you use then smartarse?

I thought it was a bit more catchy than " the people who don't like to have borders on their images":rolleyes:

How someone who admits to being a viewer of "Come Dine With Me" feels they can criticise anyone for anything is a mystery

Crap like that is not in the Cult forum for a reason- because its filler that people don't give a shit about .

When you are in the Cult forum you are usually discussing shows with more of a following than mind numbing reality tv which is why the format of a commercial release will be of interest.
    If its not , you know what to do

As for "hardcore " fans - what do you expect in the Cult forum?:rolleyes:
    dear oh dear.. Just accept your award in good humour.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dear oh dear.. Just accept your award in good humour.... :rolleyes:

No alternative terminology then ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No alternative terminology then ?
    I don't feel the need to label people I disagree with.... I find it a bit childish TBH but fill your boots. FranklyI find it very hard to take anyone that can use the phrase "black bar haters" and actually mean it, all that seriously. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel the need to label people I disagree with.... I find it a bit childish TBH but fill your boots. FranklyI find it very hard to take anyone that can use the phrase "black bar haters" and actually mean it, all that seriously. :yawn:

bit dense arent you. simply shorthand to describe someone against black bars. nothing to do with matching opinions. i ask again what you would use
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    bit dense arent you. simply shorthand to describe someone against black bars. nothing to do with matching opinions. i ask again what you would use

I thought the bar was called Ten Forward and why all this hate for Guinan?

:):):)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi im new to this thread and am just getting back in TNG,

i have a Best Buy by me which is closing down and have managed to pick up seasons 3-6 slimline editions all half price.

i was tempted to get seasons 1-2 as well but have heard the PQ is terrible and the blu rays are being released.

loved "yesterdays enterprise" and "disaster" is a good episode

would be intresting to see season one on blu ray, any news on a release date?
  • Options
    StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would be intresting to see season one on blu ray, any news on a release date?

It's expected to be out next September (which happens to be the 25th anniversary of TNG).
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StalwartUK wrote: »
    It's expected to be out next September (which happens to be the 25th anniversary of TNG).

in that case, i will pick up the next level disc, seems a long time to wait.

have to say, im really enjoying season 3
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    StalwartUK wrote: »

That's one that i won't be buying, or season 2 for that matter. I wonder how they will space the season releases - one every 6 months perhaps?
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at some comparison shots Trekcore have made ( http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html and click on the link to open the gallery), it looks like they have widened the frame slightly in live action shots - it looks like (just supposition; I haven't done the measurements) this would appear in overscan on traditional 4:3 CRTs, but obviously it will be visible on the Blu-Ray which has pillarboxing hard-coded into the image, so you'll be able to see this still-4:3 part that would normally be in overscan.

In addition, there has been an announcement that this one, unlike TOS-R, will be true to the original as much as is realistically possible - they're reusing all the effects shots that are done on film, and any that weren't they're recreating as accurately as possible. But obviously, it will look a lot better (judging by the comparison shots, you can easily tell the difference even without viewing them in HD - no more stupid NTSC artefacts, much more detailed and generally more realistic colour balances. It really makes clear how much detail you lose when transferring to NTSC tape).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Amazon have the UK version of the sample disc, titled "Taste of The Next Generation", on pre-order at £6.99, with a release date of 30/01/12.

Thats cheaper than I thought it would be, I'm thinking I'll probably go for it.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Update time;

Link

A much shorter release schedule than originally anticipated. There's been some talk of whether it's a couple of years once they release the first season in September, or from now. Consensus appears to favour the latter.

The comparison's video's pretty good. Chalk and cheese picture quality.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original video quality of the first two TNG series was bloody awful so it will be interesting to see the improvements made on blu-ray. I'm glad they are re-cutting the episodes together to mirror how they were broadcast using the original uncut film negative.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I wish they would make a new TNG movie.

Sigh

RIP in DATA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    I wish they would make a new TNG movie.

Sigh

RIP in DATA.

He isnt dead. Prior to his destruction he successfully imprinted his neural nets onto B-4's programming. He is alive and well, and his last official appearance was in Countdown, the official prequel to the 2009 movie.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ Nemesis was such a ripoff off TWOK! :D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    All the TNG movies were generally rubbish.

They should have continued with TNG for a few more seasons, to run alongside DS9 with occasional crossovers (especially during the Dominion War) and never even bothered with Voyager (which was dire) and Enterprise (which was worse than Voyager).
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First contact was good!!