Does depression really validate not working?

That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a friend who's been claiming benefits for the last year or so as she feels 'too depressed' to work. I was just wondering what peoples' views are on this, or if you've been in that situation yourself?

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Ooooh, can open, worms everywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I have a friend who's been claiming benefits for the last year or so as she feels 'too depressed' to work. I was just wondering what peoples' views are on this, or if you've been in that situation yourself?

If you have ever suffered from real depression, ie not just "feeling low", but the actually debilitating illness, you'd know the answer to that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have and been off work made it worse. I went back to a job I detested (one of the reasons I had depression) and I felt less depressed.

I need to keep busy or I just dwell on things.

I know everyone is different but sometimes I think some people are off work that long, that they are not doing themselves and favours and can contribute to making their depression worse.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depression is (often) a serious illness. Your question's pretty much the same as "Does cancer really validate not working?"
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Doctors sign people off work for no reason. I suffer from it but I have kept a part time job going most of my life to pay the bills.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    If you have ever suffered from real depression, ie not just "feeling low", but the actually debilitating illness, you'd know the answer to that.

Quoted for truth! Many people seem to think 'feeling down' and 'depression' can be used interchangeably. It's frightening.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

I think that depression *can* be very debilitating and can cause some real problems for people. So I can see how some people cannot work with depression.

But I also think that many people medicalize themselves or use "depression" as a term when they mean "dose of the glums". Mental health is a really big deal and I think that some people do a disservice to people actually suffering with depression by using it as an excuse not to do something about their situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Quoted for truth! Many people seem to think 'feeling down' and 'depression' can be used interchangeably. It's frightening.

yes, thank you! There is a really big difference and if you have experienced it you know what that is!

You can also recognise it in others I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Like anything else - it depends how badly you have it and how much it is affecting you. At its worst - it is crippling . Usually medication and CB therapy help to keep it under control for most people - but medication doesn't work instantly or for everyone.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member

I think the problem is every one knows someone or says they do thats swinging the lead claiming to be depressed but out every weekend and basically living the life of riley (yes i know we dont know what goes on behind closed doors).

Unfortunately those few who are doing this make it so much harder for the genuine claimants who end up mocked and accused of faking it.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    Depression and similar conditions (ME etc) can be very serious indeed so claiming disability can be perfectly justified in my opinion.

The problem lies with the term being generalised and overdiagnosed. There is a huge difference between depression and someone just being stuck in a rut.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do suffer with depression and anxiety, actually. I have for the last 3 and a half years, and never did I miss a day of work because of it. Many thanks for your contribution all the same.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all you have to distinguish between people who feel a bit down and go to a gp with a plan to get on sickness benefit because he/she can't be arsed working, and those with genuine depression.

Countless thousands of people suffer from depression and carry on working. I would argue that in 9/10 cases it is better for a person to get a job than be signed off on sickness benefits. George Bernard Shaw said "The secret of being miserable is to have leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not." Most people do not benefit from sitting around doing nothing all day.

Very few people should be on sickness benefit for depression, and if they are it should only be short term until it is under control and in the very worst cases. There is no excuse whatsoever for being signed off for more than a year or so. Anyone pulling that one I suspect would be in the first category of person I mentioned in this post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wonder how stupid some people think doctors are. Do you think you can just go in and say "hey, I'm depressed" and get signed off for a year?!

In general, doctors are smarter than non-doctors, and know a hell of a lot more about illness. Give them some credit.

(Also, anyone saying "depressed people just need to make themselves do things" knows less than nothing about depression, obviously, since not being able to make yourself do things is one of the primary symptoms.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, right now for example, she's painting her new flat which she rents free of charge due to this depression. The paint she's using was bought with a voucher she received from a local charity. Oh, and she's not a UK citizen. I wish I was making this up!
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have been in that situation, yes.

I was signed off work for a long time with a severe anxiety disorder. I developed severe depression too, which was really from grief for the life I had lost and wished I could live.

I took steps to work, started volunteering in a charity shop one afternoon a week and, 4 years later, I work 30 hours in a job that has changed my life.

In my case, being able to get back into work helped me enormously. I am the type of person who will sit and wallow in my own misfortune given half a chance and having days on end of doing nothing could not have been worse for me but, at the time of not being able to leave the house without having a panic attack, it was all I could do.

Everyone is different though. There are plenty of people I think, whos situation is reversed and work would actually make them a lot worse.

I think it probably saved my life, I am not sure I would still be here right now after 4 more years of being a prisoner in my own home. Still have my incredibly difficult days though. I do get signed off occasionally when things get impossible to deal with for a bit, but only for a week or two,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My issue was when off sick for depression that doing no work made it worse but a full time job was far too much for me.

Also employers do not take kindly to people taking days off ill. if I phoned in unwell they would badger me and complain making me feel worse!

If I did voulntary while on sick they would tell me they were going to take my benefits as I was clearly better. I lived alone so part-time work wasn't really feasible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I always wonder how stupid some people think doctors are. Do you think you can just go in and say "hey, I'm depressed" and get signed off for a year?!

In general, doctors are smarter than non-doctors, and know a hell of a lot more about illness. Give them some credit.

You should pay a visit to places like Glasgow. There are experts at conning GPs.

Armed with a bit of knowledge many a crafty bugger can fool a GP into diagnosing depression. Depwession has become the new "bad back".
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was so depressed I felt suicidal work was the last thing I needed but that time was very brief, as medication and therapy worked well for me. If people are off for a year I would imagine either the medication is not right or they need a new therapist. I was still depressed for ages when I went back to work but not suicidal so the work actually helped me get back to normal more quickly.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Depression is life altering. The halls of despair that some people can descend into.The pain and the anguish. The inability to be able to do basic things. Not wanting to wash, shave get out of bed, eat or sleep. The feelings of uselessness,ugliness and poor self worth. Intelligence is often questioned by sufferers. It makes you think horrible things about yourself.

It can be managed with drugs and counselling but it takes some people a long time and never fully disappears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should pay a visit to places like Glasgow. There are experts at conning GPs.

Armed with a bit of knowledge many a crafty bugger can fool a GP into diagnosing depression. Depwession has become the new "bad back".

Agreed. People are good at hamming it up.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I have been in that situation, yes.

I was signed off work for a long time with a severe anxiety disorder. I developed severe depression too, which was really from grief for the life I had lost and wished I could live.

I took steps to work, started volunteering in a charity shop one afternoon a week and, 4 years later, I work 30 hours in a job that has changed my life.

I'd love to have a job but no-one would employ me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I live in Glasgow :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    When I was so depressed I felt suicidal work was the last thing I needed but that time was very brief, as medication and therapy worked well for me. If people are off for a year I would imagine either the medication is not right or they need a new therapist. I was still depressed for ages when I went back to work but not suicidal so the work actually helped me get back to normal more quickly.

This is exactly what benefits are for - people like you who suffered from depression and needed treatment and then got back into work once better. Many people find it better to keep on working to stay busy but I realise some people need a short break to sort themselves out.

It's a shame so many genuine cases are tarnished by the wasters who "feel" they can't get off their arses and get back to work. Ever.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a she, a foreigner, in a new house for free, on disabilty benefits and getting free paint? It just gets worse!