Options

BBC 3 & 4 HD programmes to only be on iPlayer....

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....initially when BBC HD becomes BBC Two HD.
Hi everyone

I've spoken to the BBC Press Office about the future of the BBC HD channels and they have supplied the following info:

Simon Smith, head of TV Operations has replied: There will be an announcement soon confirming the date when the DQF decision to close the BBC HD channel and create instead a HD version of BBC Two will be implemented. After that date, there will be a period of time when the only way to view programmes made for BBC Three and BBC Four in HD will be to do so via the BBC iPlayer.
BBC Vision and BBC Distribution are currently working on options for extending our HD channel portfolio and securing the future delivery to audiences of all the BBC's HD and 3D programmes. These have yet to go through the normal financial and governance processes, but as soon as there is any news we will share it.

We will update when we have more news.

Thanks

Eliza Kessler
Content producer
BBC Internet blog

If that's true, we may start to see more programmes made in HD that currently never even get to BBC HD.

Comments

• Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    This is precisely why the BBC One HD regionals are a complete waste of time, just for a bit of regional sodding news.

The bandwidth would've been much better used for HD versions of BBC Three and BBC Four.

Now, where are those Daily Mail contact details...
  • Options
    HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure Sky and Virgin would be happy to carry them :)
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't actually care. I already find BBC Four SD picture quality to be exceptional, especially if the programme was filmed in HD.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it hints that more BBC HD channels are coming and might provide a place for BBC Three and BBC Four content.

Still disappointing - can't record stuff from iPlayer, for example, plus no proper support for interlaced content.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    This is precisely why the BBC One HD regionals are a complete waste of time, just for a bit of regional sodding news.

The bandwidth would've been much better used for HD versions of BBC Three and BBC Four.

Now, where are those Daily Mail contact details...

That is one of the reasons why BBC One regional is not currently on the near agenda...
    but that reply from the BBC is surprisingly optimistic for the Entertainment channels being in HD.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in that case are we going to get 1080 streams and Dolby Digital sound via iplayer?
  • Options
    Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's unfortunate, admittedly there's not that much with HD versions on BBC4 (that I watch anyway, now that they don't seem to broadcast Only Connect in HD) but there were one or two things on BBC3, well, Being Human.

Won't be watching stuff on iPlayer so that will mean going back to (admittedly good quality) SD for the forseeable future on those programs.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    ....initially when BBC HD becomes BBC Two HD.

If that's true, we may start to see more programmes made in HD that currently never even get to BBC HD.

You missed this bit:

After that date, pb]there will be a period of time [/b] when the only way to view programmes made for BBC Three and BBC Four in HD will be to do so via the BBC iPlayer.
    suggesting that this will be a temporary situation, especially when you look at the next line:
    BBC Vision and BBC Distribution are currently working on options for extending our HD channel portfolio and securing the future delivery to audiences of all the BBC's HD and 3D programmes. These have yet to go through the normal financial and governance processes,

implying that the BBC are exploring other options, which could include an additional HD channel (I wonder if the BBC have had any viable interest in that 5th HD slot on DTT? Maybe this will be the two HD channels that the BBC is likely to launch in 2014 on the proposed additional DVB-T2 mux)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    At least it hints that more BBC HD channels are coming and might provide a place for BBC Three and BBC Four content.

Agreed.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be great to see Family Guy and Wilfred on BBC in HD again but I doubt they will pay extra just o put in HD on iplayer.

PJ
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I don't actually care. I already find BBC Four SD picture quality to be exceptional, especially if the programme was filmed in HD.

There is a lot of truth in that, I get the feeling from the comments that people just want cartoons etc in HD and not the high quality documentaries on BBC4 (and occasionally BBC3) to be in HD.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one of the reasons why BBC One regional is not currently on the near agenda...
    But of course, it's right and proper that the nationals get their own HD variants because Scotland, Wales and NI have a lot more than just different news.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with the Red Button feeds the BBC is no longer a BROADCASTER but more of an internet content provider.

How the mighty have fallen! Should now be call the BICP as it is moving more and more stuff away from broadcasting and instead supplying on the internet ONLY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the science shows on BBC Four have stronger cases for being shown in HD than a lot of the stuff on BBC One or BBC Two so I do hope they get a move on with the additional HD channels they seem to be gearing towards.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "BBC Vision and BBC Distribution are currently working on options for extending our HD channel portfolio"

There are only two options:

1. Pay for a HD transponder/slot on Freeview - then SWITCH IT ON!

2. Have a chat with Sky and have them lock it up behind a pay wall so that people have to pay to see it.

Oh I suppose their is a third option:

3. Show only some programmes and then the ones they don't show, just show highlights of them whilst giving them all to Sky to lock up behind a paywall.

Above all - Play the victim and make out that they have no other options and that it was all forced on them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's unfortunate, admittedly there's not that much with HD versions on BBC4 (that I watch anyway, now that they don't seem to broadcast Only Connect in HD) but there were one or two things on BBC3, well, Being Human.

Every programme commissioned by BBC Three and Four is made in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with the Red Button feeds the BBC is no longer a BROADCASTER but more of an internet content provider.

How the mighty have fallen! Should now be call the BICP as it is moving more and more stuff away from broadcasting and instead supplying on the internet ONLY.

That it just, now there's no other word word it I'm afraid, complete bull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "BBC Vision and BBC Distribution are currently working on options for extending our HD channel portfolio"

There are only two options:.....

There are a lot more options than this .....
    and the ideal one is to have at least 4 BBC HD streams on all platforms ...
    and others have commented that these thoughts are in the public domain on the OFCOM website
    although without the universality that the BBC would like.

One thing that is clear is that the BBC cannot continue to afford the bill for having an HD channel -playout Rights etc ... (£2M)
    ... and would dearly love to have some income from the 5th slot ....

So what could be a solution ??

One would be to allow HD on a DVB T mux
    and move all non PSB channels from PSB muxes
    and use the space liberated for one HD channel ..
    then the BBC mux can have 4 BBC streams and one other stream with the other HD service being on D3&4 ....
    That is technically almost a "tomorrow" time line...

Another could be a decision by ITV to have all its HD channels behind a pay wall......

BTW was is wrong with the BBC finding more bit rate (potentially Infinite bit rate) by other technical means - no other PSB seems to be looking in that direction ..
    and it has not yet put or said that they will put any Channels with sole Internet delivery.
    And also this meets the BBC's Sixth public purpose - and thus should be done!!!!
    and after all it is paying £300M each year for 3 years to fund Broadband Rollout
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least they will continue to put the HD versions on iPlayer even without an actual HD broadcast. Its easy enough to download from iPlayer anyway so I will just download them and watch at my convenience on my media player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    At least they will continue to put the HD versions on iPlayer even without an actual HD broadcast.

Wonder why they can't do it now, though? Many programmes broadcast every day made in HD that don't get to iPlayer,(unless they've had a BBC HD showing).
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they will continue to put the HD versions on iPlayer even without an actual HD broadcast. Its easy enough to download from iPlayer anyway so I will just download them and watch at my convenience on my media player.
    Seems a bit pointless though as iplayer as heavily compressed 720p HD is hardly much better, in fact often worse then 576i broadcast PAL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

iPlayer downloads have expiry dates on them though. Broadcast versions don't. That may be OK for your convenience. But that may not be so for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot more options than this .....
    and the ideal one is to have at least 4 BBC HD streams on all platforms ...
    and others have commented that these thoughts are in the public domain on the OFCOM website
    although without the universality that the BBC would like.

One thing that is clear is that the BBC cannot continue to afford the bill for having an HD channel -playout Rights etc ... (£2M)
    ... and would dearly love to have some income from the 5th slot ....

So what could be a solution ??

One would be to allow HD on a DVB T mux
    and move all non PSB channels from PSB muxes
    and use the space liberated for one HD channel ..
    then the BBC mux can have 4 BBC streams and one other stream with the other HD service being on D3&4 ....
    That is technically almost a "tomorrow" time line...

Another could be a decision by ITV to have all its HD channels behind a pay wall......

BTW was is wrong with the BBC finding more bit rate (potentially Infinite bit rate) by other technical means - no other PSB seems to be looking in that direction ..
    and it has not yet put or said that they will put any Channels with sole Internet delivery.
    And also this meets the BBC's Sixth public purpose - and thus should be done!!!!
    and after all it is paying £300M each year for 3 years to fund Broadband Rollout
    This speculation is silly - we already know that both the BBC and Channel 4 plan to launch up to 2 FTA HD channels each on a new DVB-T2 multiplex some time this year. They both have satellite capacity to match this.

The question isn't how they're going to broadcast more HD, the question is when.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    The question isn't how they're going to broadcast more HD, the question is when.

the how is not certain...... as it can be linked with the when... given a need for universality.....
    And I see little work on the 7th mux... .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Seems a bit pointless though as iplayer as heavily compressed 720p HD is hardly much better, in fact often worse then 576i broadcast PAL.

Not via Sky. Broadcast quality 1080i (but no DD sound).