Costa Coffee Stores

Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
Forum Member
✭✭
I set up a thread about Greggs taking a bit of a bashing by some on here. Same goes for Costa Coffee stores.

I don't find Costas that bad really, all be it maybe a bit expensive. So why do some hate the shop.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like their paninis. I find the service is often slow and there is nowhere to sit but I use them quite often so it's clearly not bad enough to stop me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    The nearest one is about 30 miles away from me so I don't go there very often at all. I like their frozen coffee.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I set up a thread about Greggs taking a bit of a bashing by some on here. Same goes for Costa Coffee stores.

I don't find Costas that bad really, all be it maybe a bit expensive. So why do some hate the shop.
    I like Costa, a week or so ago some numpty on here went on a rant about people using Costa purely to show off and pose around the place with a latte in hand.

I think he had 'issues'....
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Starbucks. I find the service in Costa terribly slow.
    Forum Member
    I don't like Starbucks coffee at all.

They aslo serve it in mugs, which i don't like either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costa pays tax and is a British company for one thing.

Never go to Starbucks - I find their coffee to be un-exciting.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love going to Costa for their Lattes & bring on the summer for their Strawberry Cooler without cream. Really must get a points card this year, as cannot be having the better half, get all the points all of the time. :p
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Costa is fine unless you want to eat a biscuit then a call to your bank is needed to authorise the cost. Stick to coffee or hot choc with no cream or extras and it is reasonable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't catch me paying £2 for a cup of coffee.
  • Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »

I've been into 3 different costa stores this last month. On all occasions I've been charged different prices for a large takeaway coffee.

£2.20
    £2.40
    £2.65

It proves that they are obviously making a profit because when I went in and got the coffee that costed £2.65. I only had £2.50 on me, so I said to cashier I'm 15p short so while your making the coffee I'll run back to car for the extra, she said you don't have to do that, so she took 15p from a plate of change she had on counter and put it in the till
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Costa pays tax and is a British company for one thing.

This, use small independents or Costa.

Don't send your money overseas untaxed.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costa is ok, but i normally go to Nero for some reason, but i am also starting to go to a local one that sells great coffee and the coffee comes from a localish coffee roasters. The problem is it is a bit of a way out of the city centre.

that reminds me, i must order some more coffee beans from said roaster.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been into 3 different costa stores this last month. On all occasions I've been charged different prices for a large takeaway coffee.

£2.20
    £2.40
    £2.65

It proves that they are obviously making a profit because when I went in and got the coffee that costed £2.65. I only had £2.50 on me, so I said to cashier I'm 15p short so while your making the coffee I'll run back to car for the extra, she said you don't have to do that, so she took 15p from a plate of change she had on counter and put it in the till

It doesn't prove anything but even so aren't businesses expected to make a profit. Isn't that the whole point of their existence?
  • Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I last ordered a large coffee from costas, and thought the cup looks a fair decent size, so I measured how much coffee was in there. It worked out you get a pint. Got me thinking I've never thought of asking for a pint of coffee before.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Costa to be awful tbh.

For me

Starbucks > Nero >>>> Costa
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting in one right now. Depressing overpriced place with grubby trays and crass music. My 7yr old has developed the knack of spilling entire servings of berry fruit cooler over whatever she's wearing. Only slightly less grim than the Disney store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Costa is ok, but i normally go to Nero for some reason, but i am also starting to go to a local one that sells great coffee and the coffee comes from a localish coffee roasters. The problem is it is a bit of a way out of the city centre.

+
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I find Costa to be awful tbh.

For me

Starbucks > Nero >>>> Costa

"CAFFE NERO, the coffee house chain, is the latest company to be caught sidestepping tax — after being found to have paid no corporation tax in Britain for the past two years.

Despite profits of more than £36m over that period, it has used entirely legal accounting manoeuvres to avoid payments.

Caffè Nero owns more than 450 branches across the country and is controlled through a complex structure of subsidiaries in the UK, the Isle of Man and Luxembourg, a tax haven.

According to experts, it borrows money from its offshore sister companies and uses interest payments on this debt to offset its tax liabilities in Britain."

The complexities of the legal loopholes mean they are unlikely to be efficiently dealt with by the government, so it means that we are relying on the good nature of companies to pay tax. As most companies will do what they can to increase profits in the short term, its down to the consumer to use the services of companies who pay tax properly and increase sales through ethical behaviour. Even if that means not getting your personal preference of starbucks coffee which thankfully some consumers are doing...

"The owner of coffee chain Costa has revealed a surge in sales as rivals Starbucks and Caffe Nero were criticised for their tax arrangements.

Costa, which has 1,212 UK stores, saw like-for-like sales rise 7.1% in the 13 weeks to November 29, compared with 6.8% in the first half of the year, parent firm Whitbread said."

Surely you can forgo a slight reduction in preference for a greater good?
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course in a lot of cases Starbucks, Nero and Costa branches are all run by individual franchisees you have no control over how the company pays or avoids cash, to a certain extent I feel sorry for those with SB or Nero franchisees as they watch customers walk on to the nearest Costa instead. Not sorry enough to actually use them though.

For me Costa is by far and away the best, but although they put a huge effort in to getting the opinions of individial branches from their customers there is a wide variation in quality. One Costa can be superb in every way while a Costa in the next town can be a disaster. Never order a Flat White from a Motorway Services Costa at 5AM in the morning - your fully trained barrista is unlikely to get you something that tastes in any way like a flat white!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Of course in a lot of cases Starbucks, Nero and Costa branches are all run by individual franchisees you have no control over how the company pays or avoids cash, to a certain extent I feel sorry for those with SB or Nero franchisees as they watch customers walk on to the nearest Costa instead. Not sorry enough to actually use them though.

That's unfortunate for the franchise holders, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that some of your money is going overseas without being taxed.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Love my Costa to start the day, went off Nero as my local branch started serving drinks luke warm, Starbucks is best for cold drinks but is always packed full of fashionistas and hipsters taking up every chair and table (usually for hours with a single drink).

Food is extortionate in all of them so never bother with it
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    I had a large americano the other day with an extra shot of coffee, it was lovely £2 something, very well spent.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love going to Costa, I tend to only drink tea but the paninis and cakes are lovely!
    We spend a lot of time at motorway service stations and I use my points card - the points soon add up for a freebie unlike other points cards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    All the coffee chains are pretty much the same IMO. I'd rather grind my own and make do then pay through the nose and fund a tax dodging scheme.
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    All the coffee chains are pretty much the same IMO. I'd rather grind my own and make do then pay through the nose and fund a tax dodging scheme.
    Costa pays taxes.

Nothing like a good grind in the kitchen though, i do agree with you there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lovelovelove Costa's frosted mint hot chocolate, it's absolutely delicious. It is a bit pricey, but I don't go very often so it's a treat for me when I do go.