Difference between a tablet and phone?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
I'm not really a techno person but is it worth getting a tablet when I already have an iPhone

Comments

• rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Size.

Most smartphones are capable of doing pretty much everything a tablet can do. Processors are near enough the same too. Only key difference is size.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    Size.

Most smartphones are capable of doing pretty much everything a tablet can do. Processors are near enough the same too. Only key difference is size.

So apart from size it's not worth getting?
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »

You can't make phone calls from a tablet , well not in the traditional sense .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Smart phone and laptop is ample for me.

The tablet thing has always baffled me - seems so unnecessary given that their functionality is covered by the two things most people have. Bit faddish IMO.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

depends on your requirements. If you wish the iphone was bigger, then a tablet maybe for you. I find the iphone screen way to small, even for a phone. So I have a phone with a larger screen. However I wouldnt dream of reading a book on my phone (not for more than 15 mins), or spend more than a few mins reading web pages. So for me a tablet would fit the bill. I can read on my tablet, and I can spend quite a bit of time surfing.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could always ask in the Gadgets forum. I don't use my Kindle Fire and smartphone for the same things, but I'm by no means an expert in either.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

it's not as simple as that.

technically they can both do the same things. but it's about ease of use and convenience.

if you have a tablet you will basically stop browsing on your phone at home, because it is far more convenient to use the tablet.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can swallow a tablet but you can't swallow a phone.

Well technically, you can swallow your phone but it's a nightmare trying to answer it when it rings in your stomach. You have to punch yourself in the gut.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many tablets don't have 4G so you can only use them when in a wi fi hot spot, or if you tether them to a smartphone.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smart phone and laptop is ample for me.

The tablet thing has always baffled me - seems so unnecessary given that their functionality is covered by the two things most people have. Bit faddish IMO.
    I disagree.

Tablets are considerably cheaper than laptops and much easier to use/understand - especially for those who aren't tech-minded.

By installing an app that offers word-processing capability and the addition of a physical keyboard, you can do virtually everything you could do on a laptop at a fraction of the cost.

Tablets offer multi-functionality as e-readers, videoplayers, games consoles etc and can be slipped into a pocket or a handbag - unlike a laptop, which is why many people buy them, eg for taking on holiday.

Schools use them because of their portability and they are now outstripping laptops in sales.

You might prefer all the alternatives but tablets are not a fad.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Many tablets don't have 4G so you can only use them when in a wi fi hot spot, or if you tether them to a smartphone.
    Dongle ;-)
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    I disagree.

Tablets are considerably cheaper than laptops and much easier to use/understand - especially for those who aren't tech-minded.

You may very well have opened a can of worms with that quote, "some tablets are cheaper than laptops would be more correct" Otherwise we're going to have 3 thousand posts on how you can get a laptop cheaper than an iPad etc.

But the rest I agree with, tablets are easier to use when slouched on the sofa, on the toilet etc. And are probably faster for general tasks like emails, web browsing than using a laptop with the stupid "track pad" control.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my tablet for connecting to my (work) PC when not at home or in the office - although smaller than my PC monitor, it is still big enough at 10.1 inch to use, especially if I connect a keyboard and mouse to the tablet.

Trying to run LogMeIn and do the same thing on my smartphone is not very practical - you either have to zoom in so much that you can't see even a quarter of the desktop footprint without scrolling, or if you don't zoom in so that the full desktop area is visible on the phone, you have very little accuracy in terms of selecting the correct icons, reading what the text says etc.

I also prefer the android OS to either Windows or the Apple iOS - so a generic tablet is preferable to me than an iPad, an Apple Mac or a laptop running Windows. If I require keyboard and mouse its easy enough to connect one to a tablet - if I don't require a keyboard, its not so easy to ignore the one on a Mac or a laptop/.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Dongle ;-)
    Some of them don't even have USB sockets although this is changing with modern tablets.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phablets are where it's at.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Phablets are where it's at.

They are pretty cool but personally to big to carrying around all day, the size of those things in my pocket after a while would get a little annoying.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have an iPhone and iPad. I'm always on my iPad, the screen size is a massive thing for me. Hate browsing web on the small iPhone screen :)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Some of them don't even have USB sockets although this is changing with modern tablets.

You could always get a mobile WiFi modem. No USB connection required.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    They are pretty cool but personally to big to carrying around all day, the size of those things in my pocket after a while would get a little annoying.

I agree. They are probably okay for women with massive handbags but I wouldn't like the feel of them stuffed in my pocket all the time.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tablets are bigger and don't make phone calls :p
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

I have MiFi, mobile wifi.

I barely use my laptop now, and I take my iPad mini everywhere in my bag. I gave a Galaxy S4 mini, which is big enough for a phone for me, so my tablet us invaluable for me.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both should be avoided if you've been drinking.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try holding a tablet to your ear?
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I have MiFi, mobile wifi.

I barely use my laptop now, and I take my iPad mini everywhere in my bag. I gave a Galaxy S4 mini, which is big enough for a phone for me, so my tablet us invaluable for me.

It may be invaluable to me, but apparently I can't spell on it :blush::blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have an iPad Mini and iPhone, always use the mini when i'm at home and phone when i'm out :) hardly ever use my laptop now.